Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Ellis Cantor
Favorite Book: A Morbid Taste for Bones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellis-cantor.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by Ellis Cantor »

There are lots of good reasons to read, but the first one is simple: reading is a great pleasure.
Kkaye22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kkaye22 »

I love to read because it's a way to get away, to sway my focus elsewhere, and I can imagine I'm the main character in a fun way. :)
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

reading has so many perks such as gaining new knowledge,new perspectives,new skills.all these are great but i mostly love reading because it literally it takes me to another point in time and considering i have a great imagination this helps calm me.
glorivera

Post by glorivera »

I love to read, I have all my life. My childhood was very sad and I would alway escape in a good book. I probably read 2-3 books a week and will for the rest of my life. I think reading keeps your mind active and sharp and always support my local library by buying books from the friends of the library.
mel33melanie
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 482

Post by mel33melanie »

I love reading because of the escape it provides me, not only when I am reading, but also when I am daydreaming. Reading creates different places to go to and explore. It also is a great way to learn new things and finds someone else's problems to become consumed by.
Heidi Finger
Favorite Book: The Expected One
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-finger.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Heidi Finger »

I love reading because it takes me to different worlds. It teaches me new things, how different people interact, what they love, how they behave in certain situations. I live in that life for a short time and learn from it.
Chillaka Rose

Post by Chillaka Rose »

I like reading because reading can lead us to a magical world of imagination. Rather than watching a movie, reading can create more creative thoughts.
Allie_L
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Allie_L »

I like reading the characters in books are my friends, and I have to check on them often to make sure everything is okay.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

Like most people, I love reading to escape from reality. A book can help you forget your problems if only for a little. Plus it's a lot of fun
tanya shukla
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanya-shukla.html
Latest Review: Gates to Tangier by Mois Benarroch

Post by tanya shukla »

I love reading biographies, I find them very inspiring as it allows me to get an insight into the lives of men and women who have made a difference.
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmteachmom.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Jmteachmom »

Nena_Morena wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 00:02 Books give me the chance to go to a different world with new stories every time ! Kind of like dreaming with my eyes open. I learn new things , experience a lot of emotions, and meet different people that sometimes inspire my life.
I love your thoughts. I have always said that I may not get to physically go to all the great places in this world, but with a book I can go anywhere I want to.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Although the question seems simple enough, I think it is not really easy to answer it. To be honest, I don't even remember when or why I started reading. It is a habit my mom tried to inculcate in me after I learnt my alphabets, with the result that I started reading everything. And everything means not just books and newspapers, but shop names printed on the awnings, graffiti on the wall, advertisements.. well, you get the idea. Everybody in my family was thrilled that I loved to read so much, though now I suspect that they were mainly relieved that they wouldn't have to keep an eye on me, because while other children played and made more or less a raucous, I kept my nose stuck in one book or other. Anyways, people always told me that reading was a good habit, and since I loved reading, it was some sort of a positive feedback loop.
I would not say I read in order to know things. Sometimes I do that, yes. But mainly I read for pleasure and in the process come across random facts. I often read to escape reality. Very often, a good book makes me content after an emotionally rough day. I often feel alive while I am reading a book, in an entirely different world, far from my surroundings. Now-a-days, reading has become both a refuge and an obsession with me. For good or for bad, I honestly don't know.
Sustannard

Post by Sustannard »

I read to escape, to feel things I don't feel in a daily basis, to travel to distant lands, to learn the thoughts of someone else, perhaps even in foreign countries. I read for many reasons.
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

Sustannard wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 22:01 I read to escape, to feel things I don't feel in a daily basis, to travel to distant lands, to learn the thoughts of someone else, perhaps even in foreign countries. I read for many reasons.
Oh, same boat here. Reading just opens a lot of possibilities, right. I loved being taken away by the books i read. I may not be able to go to that place physically, but when you read it feels like you went there . It's just an amazing feeling.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
Angie Lola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angie-lola.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Angie Lola »

I read because from the comfort of my house i travel. I have never traveled out of my country but my friends joke that i'm the traveler among them. Before they go on vacations or study to other countries i'm the one always telling them what to try or what not to try when they get there haha. All this i get From reading. I LOVE IT.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”