Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by Raya raymond »

Moddesser Elahi wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 02:04 I love reading. It is a mental exercise for me. I have suffered depression for 18 years along with OCD. I am totally out of it now. Medicine helps along with meditation, counselling or encouraging words from Sadhguru on Youtube and reading and analysing books on this platform OBC. Love it. :D :D
It's also a mental exercise for me. It helps me cope with a lot.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

I love life and books tell me more about all I love about life. I believe that's all there is to reading for me!
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

What shall I say except that books are my life. Believe it or not by reading books, you can live a thousand lifetimes. They are not only an escape from daily life but also an avenue to gain knowledge. They help us understand different perspectives. I believe through books we can travel time, traverse the world and do things that we would not be able to do normally. Books are not only my respite but my solace. They link me to the past as well as the future. There are countless more reasons behind my love for books. In short, I cannot survive a day without reading.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

I like reading due to good utilization of the time.it's a great Job.
Endowa++
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-endowa.html
Latest Review: Curve Couture by H M Irwing

Post by Endowa++ »

Hmmm...reading is like part of me. It helps me leave this world and to just be lost inside a book. It most times give me something to look forward to. It also helps my vocabulary because I discovered that my vocabulary is better than that of my peers. Reading alot of books has also help open my mind to other cultures. I have not travelled wide but I feel I can relate with people from all over the world.
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by Vèè Nelly

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

I like reading because when I read, I can travel the world. It's journeying to a life that isn't yours, yet feeling like you've lived it forever.
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by Vèè Nelly

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

I love reading because it makes my small corner of the world so so so big.
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

I grew up in a very small town and still live there despite being an adult now. I like reading because it gives me the chance to see more of the world and experience more points of view than I would just from sitting in my home town
MuthoniMuriithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muthonimuriithi.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MuthoniMuriithi »

One is that it helps me to kill time and the second one is that,reading exposes me to world literature which is rich in dynamics of knowledge.
ROMANS 8:31
What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?
joan2014
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan2014.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by joan2014 »

I love reading because its enjoyable and a constructive way of utilising one's time,secondly,it provides me with knowledge on different aspects of life and we all know that knowledge is power.
amsula_2018
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsula-2018.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by amsula_2018 »

I like reading because it takes me to another world where nothing matters but the book in my hands.
"If you can't reduce your argument to a few crisp words and phrases,
there's something wrong with your argument." ~ M. Saatchi
PeaceLoveNature44
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: Cows I Have Known
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peacelovenature44.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by PeaceLoveNature44 »

I love reading for so many reasons! The main reason would be that I can go to another place. I can picture the story in my head and read it like I was watching a movie in front of me. I love making the story come to life, that's what I enjoy the most.

I also love seeing how other people view the world in the way they write their book. I love seeing all the different ideas people come up with, or expand on.

I love reading because you can gain so much from the books. You gain knowledge, understanding, imagination, and such.
“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
bluesky5_
Favorite Book: Fifty Shades of Grey
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluesky5.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by bluesky5_ »

I love to read ever since starting grade school and it was Required! I must have had great English teachers because I excelled in English. Thanks to my older sister I "inhaled" every Nancy Drew book that ever was created. As I read each N.D. series I realized my second book I had to have as I read them was the dictionary, there were so many words I encountered that I didn't know what they meant, thank heaven for dictionaries and thesaurus books! I then heard everyone I would talk to, asking me why I was talking using Big Words that they didn't know the meaning of; I had developed a higher level of reading...knowing exactly what each word in any given book meant! Reading is the best entertainment when you have to wait for your driver's test, a doctor for your doctor appointment, waiting for a friend in your parked car...and even though we now have e readers, we even read them by the swimming pool. Reading is a vitamin for the soul and a stimulant for your brain. It is even endorsed by AARP.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I like reading because it's more of how you imagine the setting to be. For me, I become more connected with the characters and I can almost place myself as if I am right there going on the journey of the book with them. It makes me focus on what it is I am reading and or where it is the author is wanting to take their audience. It brings me peace as well
Chelsea N. Hackett
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

Its like a gate to a whole new world. When I read I can shut out the world for a few hours and just relax.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”