Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Ana_Saints
Favorite Book: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Currently Reading: How to Dance with the Universe
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-saints.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by Ana_Saints »

I like reading simply because it unveils my imagination. The thrill that books give you are something, something different, but good. You can create new visions and freely think what will be the setting of the story will look like. I like reading, no, more like, I love reading.
4cynthia72
Currently Reading: Word collector
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by 4cynthia72 »

I like reading because it opens my mind and helps me understand and appreciate life more.It also helps me not get bored since with movies I mostly get bored.
grahase71
Currently Reading: My trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grahase71.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by grahase71 »

Although computer imaging has made leaps and bounds in making movies more and more realistic, it still can't hold a candle to a person's imagination. For this reason I love books. When I'm reading, my minds eye can do much more to frighten, enlighten, and fill my heart with wonder. I simply LOVE to read.....and write.
SEG
freakkshowx
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freakkshowx.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by freakkshowx »

Reading is healing for me. I know a lot of people use "I've been through a lot" as an excuse to act poorly, but I've seen much at 19 that many people will never in their lifetime. Each book I read brings me closer to solidifying my outlook on life and my individual character as well as providing a safe outlet for processing trauma along with the people in the story. It's escapism sometimes, too, but more often it's the opposite of that. I want to see how my own experiences fall in line with what's already been written.
freakkshowx
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freakkshowx.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by freakkshowx »

grahase71 wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 09:15 Although computer imaging has made leaps and bounds in making movies more and more realistic, it still can't hold a candle to a person's imagination. For this reason I love books. When I'm reading, my minds eye can do much more to frighten, enlighten, and fill my heart with wonder. I simply LOVE to read.....and write.
SEG
I definitely agree. I don't think film will ever be able to encompass the possibilities of the written word. I have synesthesia, so words have physical colors and tastes and textures, and reading is like a full sensory massage rather than easy entertainment as films are to me.
nancyab
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancyab.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by nancyab »

I like reading because:
1. Sometimes I have trouble sleeping and reading from my Kindle makes it convenient for me to "read myself to sleep."
2. It's educational, depending on what you're reading. I have an interest in the Native American culture and will always download whatever I find available on that topic.
3. It's a great time passer. When waiting for an appointment, it's great to have either a book or a Kindle to put the waiting time to good use.
4. it's relaxing. If I've finished something quite taxing and want to sit and rest, I'll always grab a book or my Kindle and read a few pages.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I read because it's a great way to spend a couple of hours, and it's also a great form of introspection which allows me to learn more about myself and try to become a better person since we learn how to view issues from various perspectives.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

freakkshowx wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 12:20
grahase71 wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 09:15 Although computer imaging has made leaps and bounds in making movies more and more realistic, it still can't hold a candle to a person's imagination. For this reason I love books. When I'm reading, my minds eye can do much more to frighten, enlighten, and fill my heart with wonder. I simply LOVE to read.....and write.
SEG
I definitely agree. I don't think film will ever be able to encompass the possibilities of the written word. I have synesthesia, so words have physical colors and tastes and textures, and reading is like a full sensory massage rather than easy entertainment as films are to me.

I totally agree with this! When I read a great book, I fully immerse myself into the world created by the written word, which will never measure up to film, which is only one specific portrayal of a story.
Books Galore
Currently Reading: Say You're Sorry
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Books Galore »

I enjoy reading because I get to go on so many adventures and meet so many awesome people. For an introvert like me, I would never get to do stuff like that otherwise! :mrgreen:
Danja24
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Danja24 »

I enjoy reading because I believe that we all have something to learn from the experiences of others. I not only entertain myself with a good book but I take the opportunity to really listen to how people think. For me, reading also fuels my own creativity.
KPlzka
Favorite Book: The Skye in June
Currently Reading:

Post by KPlzka »

I have always enjoyed reading for the following reasons:
1.) It's a great temporary escape from reality when life gets stressful.
2.) I can learn so much from reading, from new information to expanding my vocabulary.
3.) I can use my own imagination coupled with the author's descriptions regarding what the characters and places look like.
KPlzka
Currently Reading:

Post by KPlzka »

sleepydumpling wrote: 19 Aug 2007, 21:58 I read for two reasons...

1) To escape. I love being transported to another time or place. I love that feeling of seeing or doing or experiencing something different.

2) To see things from a different perspective. I love a book that makes me think and shows me things from other people's perspectives.
Reading has always been a way for me to escape too! I agree it's very nice to be able to see things from someone else's perspective. :)
KPlzka
Currently Reading:

Post by KPlzka »

Tracey Neal wrote: 21 Mar 2008, 09:24 Why do I love reading?? Let me count thy ways... :) Sometimes its for knowledge and insight..wisdom. To keep myself informed. Curiosity. And then there are the times (for the most part), when I can take myself to another place..somewhere in time..or just here..in the present..I can become those characters that I love..I can fall in love (without getting my heart actually broken)..go on grand adventures..solve a mystery..anything! And I never have to leave my comfort of my home if I wish...I simply open a book :)
I've always imagined myself as the characters too! It's nice to find someone who does that too! Whenever my life is lacking romance, I'll read a romance novel and be content for a while. If I'm craving adventure, I'll read a mystery, action/adventure, or a thriller and I'm good. :P
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

bb587 wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 11:24 Growing up, reading was what we were allowed to do, no matter what. We weren't always allowed to watch TV. In bad weather we couldn't go outside. If we were in trouble we weren't allowed out of our rooms. However, we could always read. Rain or shine, night or day, inside or outside, my siblings and I were always allowed to read a book. We would even bring books to family functions we didn't particularly want to go to. We brought books to school to read in class when we finished our work or at lunch. We grew up across the street from the public library so there was never a shortage. Reading is my go-to for boredom, waiting, sleeplessness, relaxation, distraction, and anything else life throws my way.
Before the dawn of tablets, when you had to physically go into a library or purchase a book, I was the type of person who would always go to family events with a book to read. I got comments from family members about me showing up with a book, I even had a sister say "who shows up to a bar-b-que with a book." I find that it is sometimes better to choose what type of drama I want to be a part of. Still today I can be found reading a book. Now, instead of the physical book, I am able to read on a tablet.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

I like reading for many reasons. Once I discovered a book that captured my imagination as a young child I was hooked. My father had a small but interesting collection of books which I enjoyed as a teenager. I have been a life-long learner and books have been a large part of that journey. Sometimes to relax for a few hours and enjoy being transported into another time or place. I also enjoy reading to learn about others, about life, to see things from different perspectives and to explore other possibilities.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”