Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
JGBRMS
Favorite Book: The Rational Bible
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by JGBRMS »

I like reading to learn new things and for entertainment. I love historical novels, especially those written by Jeff Shaara, Steven Ambrose, and Ken Follett. They transport me back in time to experience the challenges of those times and the thoughts and feelings of the people who were dealing with them. It's fun to think about how I would have thought and acted if I lived at that time. I especially enjoy these authors because they do extensive research to achieve historical accuracy and to capture a faithful representation of the historical characters.

I enjoy crime/mystery/thriller books for entertainment. They are great relaxers. Lee Child, Vince Flynn, C.J. Box, Robert Dugoni, Ken Follett are favorite authors. Jack Reacher, Mitch Rapp and Joe Pickett have taken me on some fun rides!
maryculverflint
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by maryculverflint »

It is informative and entertaining.
I love getting lost in a good read. It provides a brief escape from reality, like a mind vacation.
oceana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceana.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II

Post by oceana »

I like reading because books are a piece of the author. They put this whole entire world into writing. Something so incredible and thoughtful and they were so brave to put it out in public in the first place; instead of letting insecurities and fear get in the way they put a little bit of their soul on display for people to read and criticize. It is also a way for me to explore like being transported into another dimension that while it can be similar is so drastically different from your own reality that anything is possible for you to do. It is like being able to go anywhere without fear of anything happening to you while also learning and understanding someone else who is actually going through what is happening in the book.
Pjeruto003
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Pjeruto003 »

Why do I love reading?
Reading has been part of me. Through reading I have learn a lot and that makes me feel the real, essence of life.
Reading helps me find the small meaningful things that might affect us and also helps me understand people small sufferings
Jacki Mac Iver Hill
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: the irrational mind
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacki-mac-iver-hill.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Jacki Mac Iver Hill »

Eclectic_novels wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 00:46 I love reading because it takes me out of my head for a time. I can get away from the everyday droll of life. I have a stressful job and reading helps me leave that behind just for a little bit.
I don't have a stressful job, but I have racing thoughts and my mind never slows or turns off. But like you I love to read because it takes me out if my head too.

I get totally immersed in a good book to where I feel the character's feelings. For example if it's a suspense novel I get anxious like the character and I feel any pain or happiness of a character. So when I read I'm totally focused on the story, not the gazillion thoughts running through my mind.
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't...
You're right!”
:doh:
- Henry Ford

No amount of guilt can change the past.
No amount of anxiety can change the future.
:indubitablysmile:
Sparks90
Currently Reading: Insurgent (The Divergent Series #2)
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Sparks90 »

Like everyone else I love reading because it is a form of escape into another world. I love the life long lessons that we can learn from books that will hopefully stay with us forever. I also love to find the facts set into fantasy books set into a world with inspiration from real life. Probably the biggest reason is the way that two people can look into the same event and see it completely differently is shown in books, and i love that. They contain information and lessons that we cannot draw from life because we cant vanish into someone else's head.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

Pjeruto003 wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 00:10 Why do I love reading?
Reading has been part of me. Through reading I have learn a lot and that makes me feel the real, essence of life.
Reading helps me find the small meaningful things that might affect us and also helps me understand people small sufferings
Yes, I agree entirely. I think when I was younger, I was drawn to reading because I was good at it; simply because I could. I started reading at three y/o with Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham. I read it like every day of my life, because I could (I can still quote half the book by memory today haha). And after I branched out, and I began reading books much higher than my reading level, I was learning things on my own now and I was taking that knowledge with me wherever I went.

Reading meaningful things became exciting and entertaining. Eventually I just grew to like reading a bit of everything, but, like you, I especially enjoy reading about things that can connect me to others in some way.
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
AJamie
Favorite Book: The Smart One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by AJamie »

I love reading for lots of reason: learning new words, building my vocabulary, learning about places I have not been to, learning the ways of the world both past and present, the suspense involve, the mystery, lesson and a lot others. To summarize I like reading because I love reading.
Nonnychester

Post by Nonnychester »

Reading is not something I like doing, it's something I love doing. It's like being reported suddenly into an utterly different world which we make for ourselves just by imagining from the descriptions. It's magical and exciting especially when the author is really good.
Book Bear
Currently Reading: Earth Alone
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-bear.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B0184OCGAK

Post by Book Bear »

AJamie wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 09:48 I love reading for lots of reason: learning new words, building my vocabulary, learning about places I have not been to, learning the ways of the world both past and present, the suspense involve, the mystery, lesson and a lot others. To summarize I like reading because I love reading.
All the above plus seeing into other peoples' imagination, how they view things and what they are thinking about. Are they so different from me?
Ibeh12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibeh12.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Ibeh12 »

I like reading because it expands my mind and improves my grammar.
hadizasalisu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadizasalisu.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by hadizasalisu »

sleepydumpling wrote: 19 Aug 2007, 21:58 I read for two reasons...

1) To escape. I love being transported to another time or place. I love that feeling of seeing or doing or experiencing something different.

2) To see things from a different perspective. I love a book that makes me think and shows me things from other people's perspectives.
I have to agree with you, and seeing things from other peoples perspectives from reading has really helped me in being a more tolerant and open minded person.
Bobbypin
Currently Reading: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In

Post by Bobbypin »

:techie-studyingbrown: I love reading because of the opportunity to showcases each individuals intellect and creativity. The blank page gets filled in a certain way. I love the way that happens. Each book is its own world to explore! Reading is exploring. Each author is our own personal tour guide throughout the experience! Reading is awesome! Keep on reading!
zoharis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 198

Post by zoharis »

I like to read to escape real life, to learn new things and to expand my vocabulary.
Aliyu Yusuf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliyu-yusuf.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Aliyu Yusuf »

i enjoy reading because i have found out that there is more,better and useful information on books than there is on movies.
Some movies are even scripted based on a book.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”