Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by Raya raymond »

I like to read because I experience a whole new world, and that's one of the best feelings I know
Bookcool123
Currently Reading: The Relik
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookcool123.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Bookcool123 »

I like reading because I have a very imaginative, curious, and inquisitive mind. Collectively speaking, my mind is very fertile and I pour it down on any reading materials I encounter.
pixiequeer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pixiequeer.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by pixiequeer »

There is a limitless number of reasons as to why I like to read.

I like to read because I'm a writer, and I am a believer that you cannot write if you do not read.

I like to read because it helps me escape from the world around me, especially when my environment or thoughts become toxic and stressful.

I like to read to learn the stories that these authors were born to write.

I like to read because you learn a lot about people through their writing, even if it is fictional.

I like to read to learn new perspectives, places, cultures, ideas, philosophies.

There are so many things I could say, but I'm just going to leave it at this:

Reading is an invaluable skill because there are so many things we take from it that we don't even realize, let alone always understand.
dbulkley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbulkley.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by dbulkley »

I love it because it is relaxing. Books also can provide much more than a movie can. Books provide an escape from the typical 9-5 day and put me in a relaxed state.
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
rose081900
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose081900.html

Post by rose081900 »

I like reading because I can escape into another world and lose myself for a few hours and not worry about everything going on in everyday life. I love learning about new worlds and all the adventures the characters go on.
BethLawrence1
Currently Reading: How to be Champion
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethlawrence1.html
Latest Review: The Mystery Of Flight 2222 by Thomas Neviaser

Post by BethLawrence1 »

Reading is a way to experience dangerous and difficult scenarios but without having to experience the implications
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by AnnaKathleen »

I love reading for so many reasons. Mainly the ability to see new worlds or experience the world I live in with new eyes. From a young age I read because my mother pushed me to, and also because I was an only child without many kids in my neighborhood. Sometimes, I find myself enjoying a book simply from the language used - not necessarily for the story. The more I read, the more I love it.
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury
Rapicon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rapicon »

Well, my self made adage says a reader is a king, so I wanna be a king
Taekwondoqueen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taekwondoqueen.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Taekwondoqueen »

I love to read because I never had any friends, so I had books as my friends. Now I have a few great friends, but I still enjoy reading more than anything else in the world! I love how I can meet people older than I am or kids just like me and go all over the world right from my hospital bed!
Connie2018
Favorite Book: precious gifts
Currently Reading: And Never Let Her Go
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Connie2018 »

Love Reading!
As a child, my Moms' answer to any kind of boredom, was read a book!
Not only did that work, but every birthday, and Christmas, myself, sister, and brother received books! (For at least one gift.)
I guess you can say, my Love of reading, was a gift from my Mom!

Connie
arinola grace
Currently Reading: A Tome of Order Magic
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arinola-grace.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell
Reading Device: B077RNJR5N

Post by arinola grace »

babypinkcandygirl wrote: 07 Sep 2007, 21:57 i love reading because they are just like conversations; you never know how they are gonna turn out. some are old and familiar like a life-long best friend, some are new and exciting, some utterly bore you, some stimulate or anger you, some are thought provoking, some are like those friends you party with (great for distraction, useless for any depth).

but i think the best ones are the ones that stay with you always, whether you read them once or a hundred times. like when you meet a great person and you stay up the entire night talking... thats what reading a truly great book feels like to me
i agree with you, although i also read to escape. the books i love reading most are those that not only entertain but also teach/enlighten the reader on a subject the plot is built on e.g pancake money.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

I love reading. It is a mental exercise for me. I have suffered depression for 18 years along with OCD. I am totally out of it now. Medicine helps along with meditation, counselling or encouraging words from Sadhguru on Youtube and reading and analysing books on this platform OBC. Love it. :D :D
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Raya raymond

Post by Raya raymond »

Bookcool123 wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 02:48 I like reading because I have a very imaginative, curious, and inquisitive mind. Collectively speaking, my mind is very fertile and I pour it down on any reading materials I encounter.
I totally relate.
swlly
Currently Reading: City of Bones; (The Mortal Instuments)
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swlly.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by swlly »

It’s such a great way to escape real life and I often read when I feel anxious or sad. I also love reading non fiction books because it’s so educating and you can learn abou history, a persons life, or the world. It just brings everything that seems so far away straight to you.
Raya raymond

Post by Raya raymond »

swlly wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 23:39 It’s such a great way to escape real life and I often read when I feel anxious or sad. I also love reading non fiction books because it’s so educating and you can learn abou history, a persons life, or the world. It just brings everything that seems so far away straight to you.
relatable

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”