Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
certifiedbookworm
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by certifiedbookworm »

I love reading because it opens new things to the imagination. It's like you can escape the real world and teleport to a fantasy world. You can let your imagination run free and explore places that you haven't been to. Reading also broadens the vocabulary, so you can learn while having fun. It's food for the brain and no one wants a starving brain. Reading is fun and fundamental and I can't imagine life without knowing how to read :)
Laura

Post by Laura »

I like reading because it takes me somewhere other than reality. You can pick up any book and be swept away in the words and being able to to feel the author's excitement of what they're writing. It's so much fun to me.
Woodland Nymph

Post by Woodland Nymph »

I love reading because of the places it takes me. For example, I adore reading classic literature because I've always been somewhat of a nostalgic person, and reading works such as Wuthering Heights or Pride and Prejudice take me to those long ago places in time that I frequently dream about.

There are several other reasons, but everyone else here has already covered them for me. :)
chicklit

Post by chicklit »

Reading for me is like an adventure. See new places and meet new people.
seniorita

Post by seniorita »

I started reading because I was just bored at work, Prevents me from sleeping and gets me more active. I'm now in my 2nd week and just bought 2 more books I seem to enjoy reading and looks like I'm gonna make it my hobby (yah that's how boring it is at work :wink: )
shankoo7

Post by shankoo7 »

coz it fun
BoxingClever

Post by BoxingClever »

I've been reading since I taught myself to read at age 4. It all started with Winnie the Pooh.
It provides endless enjoyment and an avenue to enrich my mind.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

seniorita wrote:I started reading because I was just bored at work, Prevents me from sleeping and gets me more active. I'm now in my 2nd week and just bought 2 more books I seem to enjoy reading and looks like I'm gonna make it my hobby (yah that's how boring it is at work :wink: )
Must be some job you have seniorita ... most employers would consider an employee with time to read at work an unnecessary overhead (in my neck of the woods anyway!)
BoxingClever

Post by BoxingClever »

Fran wrote:
seniorita wrote:I started reading because I was just bored at work, Prevents me from sleeping and gets me more active. I'm now in my 2nd week and just bought 2 more books I seem to enjoy reading and looks like I'm gonna make it my hobby (yah that's how boring it is at work :wink: )
Must be some job you have seniorita ... most employers would consider an employee with time to read at work an unnecessary overhead (in my neck of the woods anyway!)
LOL...I was thinking the same thing Fran!
I would love to be able to sit and read at work in my many lulls, but I need that paycheck more.
icandoit

Post by icandoit »

keeps me relaxed and I learn about others :P
K M Britt

Post by K M Britt »

sleepydumpling wrote:I read for two reasons...

1) To escape. I love being transported to another time or place. I love that feeling of seeing or doing or experiencing something different.

2) To see things from a different perspective. I love a book that makes me think and shows me things from other people's perspectives.
I agree. It is the best escape there is.
darbook

Post by darbook »

because it reminds me the old times when everything was simple and innocents :)

and of course a good plot is also great :)
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Montesquieu said it best .... "I have never known any distress that an hours reading did not relieve"
tinyViolin

Post by tinyViolin »

Basically, the same as everyone else here.

I'm an introvert naturally. I do, you know, interact with people, go to parties, etc, NOW. But I'm the quietest one in the group~the one you lean in to hear. Sorry about that!

When I was younger, though, people were like monsters of death. I was literally terrified of adults and fascinated but wary of kids. That's when my love of reading began! The world was manageable in books. It was escapism in its most sincerest form.

I've grown up, but I still like to read. The stories hook me, the imagery lingers...

Also, it's good practice to read in my L2.
alimena

Post by alimena »

I like it because I can imagine as I want whatever I'm reading, I dont need to depend of a couple of image a movie can give you.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”