Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Joan_21
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by Joan_21 »

reading makes me happy, makes me forget about everything.. reading takes me to the places where i'd want to be.. it makes me escape reality. Makes me fall in love all over again. It gives me feeling i couldnt imagine i could feel..
Kieran_Obrien
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-obrien.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kieran_Obrien »

For me, a good book puts me inside another person's brain. I get to know their thoughts and thought process and how they adapt to challenges in their lives. Book characters are real to me and reading is like living another life.
marieelise08
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marieelise08.html
Latest Review: "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley

Post by marieelise08 »

I like to read because the act bestows knowledge, it enhances my language skills ( I find language and its scope powerful, its effects to humanity's development and unity), and because it quenches my thirst for recreation. Recreation for me is using my mind creatively through reading I can be with the characters, see them move, touch them, smell their scent and feel their emotions. Nothing can beat reading for me.
Latest Review: "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

Lyn wrote: 20 Aug 2007, 11:39 I like reading because it's an opportunity to travel to different landscapes and, sometimes, through different periods in time. It's an escape certainly, but more than that, it's a voyage as seen through another's eyes.
"it's a voyage as seen through another's eyes"... I love this! So true! I love being able to see the perspective or train of thought of another. Reading allows me to do so, while also escaping real life if not just for one moment :techie-studyinggray:
Amystl26
Currently Reading:

Post by Amystl26 »

Why do I like (LOVE) to read?

1. As most readers will say-- the sense of escapism. I was bullied as a young child and reading my books gave me somewhere to go where I didn't feel so.. different. In my 9-year-old mind, Laura Ingalls Wilder was my best friend! Haha!

2. Reading makes me feel grounded and connected to something bigger than me.

3. It gives me a sense of completion.

4. It's QUIET. Haha, I revel in silence.
shaylaa
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by shaylaa »

I love to learn. Reading helps facilitate that love.

I also see the world in "words" sometimes. When I feel an emotion, I visualize the word. When I meet a new person, I visualize what their name looks like in word-form. I find comfort in the way some words look when written or typed.

I also love to escape into a story that is not my own. It makes me realize that my story (life) is great and interesting and horrible and sad... like all the great stories ever written.
Amy4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy4.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Amy4 »

Reading transports me to a different world, time and culture. It also helps when I want to escape the hustle and bustle of life. Gives me a new perspective. The best part is that it enables me to meet new characters and fall in love with them. Reading is awesome!!!
Poet0113
Currently Reading: The Lightning Theif
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reading Device: B01LYLAALJ

Post by Poet0113 »

What really made me like reading was my mom reading 4-5 books a night to me as a kid. She bought me more books than she did toys and I thank her so much for that.
KelleyStumme
Currently Reading: Marked
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by KelleyStumme »

I love reading because each book is like going on vacation. I "see" new locations and meet the most interesting people!
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Reading is my stress reliever. When I have had a busy day there is nothing better than reading a book. Learning and researching is fun to me also. So I guess that is another reason I like reading.
CNWaweru
Currently Reading: The Sound of Thunder
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cnwaweru.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by CNWaweru »

I love reading because of the privilege I have to 'experience' quite a wide variety of situations right from my room. Books take me through situations that money and my exposure can't. They are just at a whole other unique level.
Reading is dreaming with your eyes open. :techie-studyinggray:
Amystl26
Currently Reading:

Post by Amystl26 »

shaylaa wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 22:31 I love to learn. Reading helps facilitate that love.

I also see the world in "words" sometimes. When I feel an emotion, I visualize the word. When I meet a new person, I visualize what their name looks like in word-form. I find comfort in the way some words look when written or typed.

I also love to escape into a story that is not my own. It makes me realize that my story (life) is great and interesting and horrible and sad... like all the great stories ever written.
I agree! Reading another's story is a great escape and makes us realize our lives (the good, bad, and ugly!) are not the only ones out there. Every story is unique, yet relatable at the same time. I just finished one novel that hits on this topic: Quiet Chaos by Sandro Veronesi.
Amystl26
Currently Reading:

Post by Amystl26 »

CNWaweru wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 20:19 I love reading because of the privilege I have to 'experience' quite a wide variety of situations right from my room. Books take me through situations that money and my exposure can't. They are just at a whole other unique level.
"...a whole other unique level." So true! That's one of the reasons I love books so much!
Amystl26
Currently Reading:

Post by Amystl26 »

Poet0113 wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 12:37 What really made me like reading was my mom reading 4-5 books a night to me as a kid. She bought me more books than she did toys and I thank her so much for that.
Me too! I always thank my mom for raising me as a bookworm when she didn't even intend to. She loves books herself so it was always just the norm to bring us to the library multiple times a week during my childhood. I can't remember a time of not reading!
Socoro20

Post by Socoro20 »

:P reading was a door for a new world... It brings you to places you never been.. You learned a lot about the characters and it gaves you a better view of life.. That's why I love reading :-)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”