Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
ImogenPruthi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by ImogenPruthi »

I love reading because I've always read books since I was little and I just can't imagine not doing it ever. I go through periods of not reading because I have no time or nothing seems interesting but I always feel comforted knowing that I can pick up a book and resume at any point.
victorycoffee
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victorycoffee.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by victorycoffee »

I've never been a massive fiction reader, even less so as I've gotten older. I love learning new concepts and skills so I read a ton of non-fiction, and that's what drives me to keep reading; just trying to find out more about the world around me.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
careyse
Reading Device: B00TXSSXJ0

Post by careyse »

I love reading because it affords me the opportunity to leave ‘my world’ with my health issues, my pain, my own mess. I also read to further my knowledge of new ideas, new hobbies, or expanding on what I’ve learned already.
careyse
Reading Device: B00TXSSXJ0

Post by careyse »

I love to read books from ‘the good ol days’. :) Sometimes I wonder how they did it but then I am grateful because without their experiences we wouldn’t exist today.
Scott wrote: 19 Aug 2007, 12:05 We all like reading. In fact, most of us would probably say that we love reading.

Why do you like it so much? What is it about reading that attracts you to it?

I think I like reading because it allows me to hear from people who have something important to say. You can read from the best thinkers no matter where they are or even when. I'm amazed by the fact that I can go to the book store and buy hours of reading material written by someone who lived hundreds or even thousands of years ago.

What about you?
chrstnafd
Currently Reading: Out of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by chrstnafd »

I used to read just to ease the boredom that I'm feeling but now I can't seem to stop, and it takes a big part in my life. Through reading I can see someone's soul, perspective, emotions and their thought that the authors have played in our minds. I honestly prefer this than to watch.
fergie
Currently Reading: Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by fergie »

I love being inside someone else's head, especially if their world is radically different to mine in some way. It's what gives empathy, I think.
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
sherif olabode
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 71

Post by sherif olabode »

Reading is my best friend I like read because I found everything I need to know,interesting and even help me direct my way of life and living.
myyamouse18
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by myyamouse18 »

I've always liked reading because it allowed me to take a journey into a world created by the author. It allowed me to take a break from my school work or my job and just let my imagination run free and exist in a bubble of silence and peace.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

It transfers me to another world. It's like I get to live so many different lives. Don't get me wrong, I love my life. But seeing lives of others in details from their own perspective is something you probably can't get anywhere else. Not to talk about limits of our world and limitlessness of imagination.
hartman20
Currently Reading: Thrive
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hartman20.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by hartman20 »

I love reading for so many reasons and it would take such a long time to list them all. But I think my biggest reason is adventure. I become so absorbed in good books that I feel like I'm living the characters' lives. I get to travel all over the world (and worlds much different than ours!) and meet all kinds of people and learn about things I never could have dreamed up on my own. I feel the characters' triumphs and their sadness so much that sometimes when I finish a book, I have to give myself time to process all of my emotions before I can even think about starting a new story.
pink boy
Currently Reading: The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by pink boy »

I have always struggled with social anxiety. As a child, I was bullied and struggled to make friends. Reading served as a way for me to feel less lonely by connecting with characters.
chrystalheart
Currently Reading: Fire and fury
Bookshelf Size: 725
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystalheart.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by chrystalheart »

I started reading at 4 years old. That started a wonderous journey for me through lands that were beautiful, magical and fantastic. Reality, on the other hand, palled in comparison to the wonders I could find between the paper pages of a book. I would often max out my limit at the local library, being chastised by the librarian to only take what I could read within the time limit. My mother responded with pride, "She will finish them all well before the deadline." Finding where I put them was the bigger challenge, as discarded books would end up under the bed, in the closet, and littered around the house. Books have brought me much joy over the years, expanded my vocabulary, and taught me much I would otherwise not know.
djordjesvonja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djordjesvonja.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by djordjesvonja »

While reading, you can imagine characters and situations like you wish, so our imagination is crucial when we are reading a book. That is what i like about the reading. In the movies, directors have their ideas, which could be significantly different from our imagination. That is why i love to read a book before watch the same movie.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Annamikov
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annamikov.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Annamikov »

I can detach myself from the reality and experience life through the eyes of a character.
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Written Legalist
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-written-legalist.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Post by Written Legalist »

Reading boosts cognitive abilities and can reveal different perspectives than ones we are currently familiar with. Reading also helps build empathy and deeper understanding of human emotion and behavior
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”