Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by Kibet Hillary »

dianaterrado wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 01:30 Reading has been the only thing that calms me when I'm in a very difficult place and all I could think of is all the failures and all the mistakes I've done. Some people don't get it because they've never been readers but reading has been a big help in my life.
Wow, great to see this. For me, reading has also helped in this way in many instances. The wisdom found in many books at times also will help one navigate some ways in life.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ejike5656
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ejike5656 »

Hmmm interesting, i like reading for two reasons, firstly to learn new ideas, secondly to improve my self with the new thing i have learnt
praisecrown8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praisecrown8.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by praisecrown8 »

Nice topic. Reading actually relieves us from stress.
_a_reads_
Currently Reading: Kill Abby White! Now!
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-reads.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by _a_reads_ »

I consider reading to be a form of education, informal though. It shapes you as a person, and your way of thinking. Also, it allows me to learn from other people's experiences. I love getting lost in a good read.
Mariah7francis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariah7francis.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Mariah7francis »

I love reading because I find joy in doing it especially fictions.
Khrysalis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khrysalis.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Khrysalis »

There is no greater pleasure than losing myself in a good book. There is a greater immersion, something no blockbuster movie or Triple A video game can ever quite replicate. Particularly if the flavor of the book is meant to forge an intimate link between the reader and the characters. My mind and my imagination are more potent than any CGI or practical effects they could ever cobble together. A well-written word stays with me so that more than twenty years after I’ve read a favorite book for the first time I can close my eyes and still see the land or the house or the city where the story took place. I can remember the way the character’s faces and forms were built up in my mind. The small details, like a smile, a scar, their style of hair. I can remember the ache of their losses or failures. I was crushed or held fast by fear and horror when it looked like all was lost. I felt the joy just as distinctly as if it were my own when characters were reunited with loved ones, achieved victory, or touched their dream at last. I sat in tears when the end was bittersweet, the path behind littered with losses and sacrifice.

I guess that’s why I love to read. I like to feel these emotions, both the highs and lows. I love the journey. The new places, both fantastical and mundane. I love good characters, especially when they’re so well-written, I can become attached. I love the ties that bind them to who and what they love, reading about how they stay the course and withstand the tests of both time and hardship. It’s wonderful.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I read because it makes me think and see things from other perspective.
greecg

Post by greecg »

I read because-
It oddly satisfies me. Don't know why n how, but it does.
It helps me to connect with those whom I can never meet probably and still know their experiences. Learn from them, cry and laugh with them.
Abee44sting
Currently Reading: Endgame
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Abee44sting »

I read because am a finder of knowledge, and that comes in good measure from reading. I read virtually anything and everything.

I also read to stay abreast with the trends around me. And I must confess it has really helped me.

Reading has become a virtue for me not a trade.
joolay69
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joolay69.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Post by joolay69 »

It does relax me, and enable me to escape in another world/time while staying in the comfort of my own house.
I believe it also improve my creativity skills !
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr
LeighGroff

Post by LeighGroff »

Hello everyone,
I like to read fiction books a lot. And I like to read them because I want to see the author's vast imagination and creativity in writing and also because I love to go into a fantasy world and live in that world. Reading novels is a feeling!
Techelight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Techelight »

the more i read the more i learn. readers of today are leaders of tomorrow. I cant stop reading.
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by skindrukas »

Reading is my escape from the fast world. I like to dive into something different than my life. I like my life, don't get me wrong. But the world is so quick and full of distractions. Reading is like feeling the solid ground under my feet. It's logic and sequential. Trustworthy.
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

I love reading for many reasons. The top reason is getting sucked into another world, I love that “must stay awake for another chapter” feeling. Another reason is I love words and language and I feel I learn something new in each book. And seeing another person’s experience and perspective.
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

reading helps me travel the world on a spot, walk in someone else imagination and also the fact that some books can distract one from reality is impressive hence my passion for reading.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”