Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Zulyan2000
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by Zulyan2000 »

I think that all of us like reading because reading takes us to a different world. Reading is a new adventure. Reading is the most beautiful thing ever and it’s so sad that not everyone appreciates reading.
shak33ma
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shak33ma.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by shak33ma »

Initially it just became a way to seek out knowledge to limit my confusion, discovering information on your own, that alone was enough for me to have an interest when I was a child.

But once school starts piling on the mandatory reading and research reports... that can change one's perspective somewhat, at least it did for me.

By the time I was a young adult, reading was enjoyable due to the means of escape it offered me. There are SO many stories out there, there's nothing better than reading a book that fits your current mood or puts to words EXACTLY how you're feeling or what you've been thinking yet didn't know just how to articulate for yourself.

Granted, there are tons of reasons to like reading, mine boils down to the creativity of it all. I love seeing the world that someone build all their own and was kind enough to share with the world.
albertinaambondo
Currently Reading: Special Agent Booker
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by albertinaambondo »

Reading helps me escape and improve my imagination...also when I'm feeling down reading pulls me back up
prayz_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by prayz_ »

To escape the noise around me
For new experiences
yoda4ever
Favorite Book: Fervent
Currently Reading: Belgravia
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoda4ever.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by yoda4ever »

:techie-studyingbrown: I like reading because it is entertaining. I can imagine being in the story. Reading is also educational because it improves my vocabulary and also expands my horizons to explore places and new things. I also like to read self help books and inspirational stories that motivate me.
Erika Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erika-thomas.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Erika Thomas »

I think I picked up loving reading so much because my parents fought a lot when I was little, and I was an only child. I had no siblings with whom to retreat, and I wasn't allowed to watch television all that much. So when I retreated, I retreated into my books. I would read and immerse myself in another world where I let my emotions be felt for those characters, instead of my own life. It allowed me to cry when I needed to cry, and in fact it still does. It may seem silly or unhealthy to use books as an escape mechanism, but that's what they started out as for me.
Book_Nerd5402

Post by Book_Nerd5402 »

It gives me an escape. An alternative reality. When you read you don't just see the words on a page you see the characters, you feel what they feel.
kosgeyvini
Favorite Book: Timewise
Currently Reading: Emotional Cure for Autism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by kosgeyvini »

l love reading especially non fiction story giving me true life sense we experience in our real life situations
kosgeyvini
Favorite Book: Timewise
Currently Reading: Emotional Cure for Autism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by kosgeyvini »

it improves my ability to think and my imagination ,especially when l read fate stories
srensch1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srensch1.html
Latest Review: A Second, Less Capable Head by James Hanna

Post by srensch1 »

At worst, reading is good entertainment (depending on the book). At best, it is immersion in an alternative reality which teaches me about myself and life generally.
Highly Favoured One
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Highly Favoured One »

I live reading because it sharpens my personality and motivates me to be the person God destined me to be! So as you can tell, my favorite categories tend to be inspirational, Bible expository and thematic books especially on leadership. Still, I occasionally love to read novels and self help books.
Mhris3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhris3.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Mhris3 »

I love nonfiction because it sharpens my knowledge. I love fiction because for a brief moment I let my imagination take flight. Reading is more than an hobby for me. Reading is almost like an addiction. It has become a necessity.
sallyV108

Post by sallyV108 »

I know I for one enjoy it as an escape but it is also deeper than that. People have told me that whenever I state my favorite characters after I read a book I take on some of their traits. I've seen this with a few of my other book-loving friends. We find bits of ourselves in the characters or we find characters we wish we could be.

Reading is just such a beautiful thing as when you find a book you love and someone asks you why you loved it sometimes you know exactly why but other times its just a feeling. "I loved it cause it was amzing!" and thats all you can say because sometimes there are no words for the joy you just experianced, only awe in the fact that the author did that to you, made you feel that way.
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

Reading has been the only thing that calms me when I'm in a very difficult place and all I could think of is all the failures and all the mistakes I've done. Some people don't get it because they've never been readers but reading has been a big help in my life.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3018
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I am seeing one reason that I also like about reading books. I cannot imagine how it would be possible for me to visit all the places and meet all the characters found in books. It is the main reason really why I like reading.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”