What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by gali »

Redlegs wrote: 24 Dec 2017, 17:24
gali wrote: 24 Dec 2017, 12:03 "Their Eyes Were Watching God" by Zora Neale Hurston, 4 stars out of 4! A powerful tale narrating the life of Janie Crawford, an African-American woman in her early forties who wants more than life has to offer her. One can find some parallels between the life of the author and her heroine. The book was written in 1937, but its themes are universal and relevant even today. On the surface of it, the story appears quite simple, the life of Janie through the men in her life, but it is anything but. It paints a powerful picture of Janie's life during the early 20th century, while exploring issues of gender, race, and equality. The author does a great job setting the scene from the very first page and the book made an impact on me. It is a book that keeps you thinking about it long after the last page has been turned. A beautiful story which shouldn't be missed!
@gali, you got that done pretty fast. Thanks for your wonderful review. I will make sure I get to this one soon in 2018.
Thank you. I loved the book, so finished it fast. Enjoy! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

I just finished reading "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren. It was a fun read, and I gave it 3 out of 4 stars.
Humamazhar2018
Currently Reading: The Vatican Children
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Humamazhar2018 »

The last book was Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz is a 2017 Harper publication.

There is more than one mystery in this novel. Susan Ryeland is in her forties, in a relationship with Andreas and an editor at Cloverleaf Books, the publishers. She is settling down to read the latest manuscript of the Atticus series from Alan Conway set in the 1950s. Atticus is a German refugee, who has assisted the police in a number of murder cases. He has an assistant, James Fraser, and is dying from terminal cancer. This is to be his last case.

Alan is an unlikeable character and many have possible motives to kill him. Susan cannot find the missing chapters and concludes that they must contain clues to Alan's killer. Susan cannot help getting drawn deeper into investigating the mysteries but loses track of the fact there is a dangerous killer on the loose
:techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown: We discover where the final chapters are and who killed Magnus and Alan.

This is a stunning novel from Anthony Horowitz. Those who adore the Golden Age of classic crime novels will love this. It is brilliantly plotted to give us a double helping of crime. Absolutely wonderful. I have no hesitation in recommending this book.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Humamazhar2018 wrote: 25 Dec 2017, 02:20 The last book was Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz is a 2017 Harper publication.

There is more than one mystery in this novel. Susan Ryeland is in her forties, in a relationship with Andreas and an editor at Cloverleaf Books, the publishers. She is settling down to read the latest manuscript of the Atticus series from Alan Conway set in the 1950s. Atticus is a German refugee, who has assisted the police in a number of murder cases. He has an assistant, James Fraser, and is dying from terminal cancer. This is to be his last case.

Alan is an unlikeable character and many have possible motives to kill him. Susan cannot find the missing chapters and concludes that they must contain clues to Alan's killer. Susan cannot help getting drawn deeper into investigating the mysteries but loses track of the fact there is a dangerous killer on the loose
:techie-studyingbrown: :techie-studyingbrown: We discover where the final chapters are and who killed Magnus and Alan.

This is a stunning novel from Anthony Horowitz. Those who adore the Golden Age of classic crime novels will love this. It is brilliantly plotted to give us a double helping of crime. Absolutely wonderful. I have no hesitation in recommending this book.
Glad to know the book is good, as it is on my TBR list. Thank you!
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
psspcj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psspcj.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by psspcj »

I just finished Puffy and the Formidable Foe. I will give it 4 out of 4. I felt it like perfect bed time story for children.
Blue Eyed Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blue-eyed-reader.html
Latest Review: Twinkle Twinkle Little Starr by H M Irwing

Post by Blue Eyed Reader »

The last book I read was Saving Scarlett by Emily Bishop. This was definitely a 4 out of 5 stars. I couldn't stop reading it! The suspicion of it all just made me finish the book in days!
Alyssa994
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alyssa994 »

The last book I read was of mice and men and I rate it a 9/10 it’s a hard book to read if you get emotional :o
Redlegs
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Alyssa994 wrote: 26 Dec 2017, 18:53 The last book I read was of mice and men and I rate it a 9/10 it’s a hard book to read if you get emotional :o
But it's a virtually perfect book! 😀❤️
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
DATo

Post by DATo »

The Apprentice by Jacques Pepin

I snuck this book in while reading Churchill's history of WWII. It is the story of the internationally acclaimed chef, Jacques Pepin, told in his own words. It is an intriguing story and the reader learns a lot about classic French cooking, its history, and the culture of all things pertaining to and surrounding food in France. It also tells of the transformation of Pepin to a more modern take on cooking after his journey to the U.S.A. I'd rate it five stars because it was a very interesting true story which is as enlightening and educational as it is entertaining. So ... * * * * *
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
The Canadian Witch
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1329">Blue Haven</a>
Currently Reading: Out of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 322

Post by The Canadian Witch »

Blue Haven, by M. E. Barbezat, a book i am rereading for the 7th time this year, only about 3 chapters left to finish it again. I gave it a solid 5 stars out of 5. I love it, cry every time at the same line in the book and will keep re-reading it as long as i don't get sick of it, which is hard to do.
Sally85

Post by Sally85 »

Ooh, The Graveyard Book is brilliant - I love Neil Gaiman!! :D Neverwhere and the Ocean at the End of the Lane are brilliant too.

I like my books dark. Just read one called The Boy Who Lost His Name which was certainly that - but really good!

And if you fancy a weepie, go for The Fault in Our Stars or Sophie's World.

Enjoy!! xx
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Sally85 wrote: 28 Dec 2017, 10:33 Ooh, The Graveyard Book is brilliant - I love Neil Gaiman!! :D Neverwhere and the Ocean at the End of the Lane are brilliant too.

I like my books dark. Just read one called The Boy Who Lost His Name which was certainly that - but really good!

And if you fancy a weepie, go for The Fault in Our Stars or Sophie's World.

Enjoy!! xx
I've just begun reading Neil Gaiman, read Ocean at the End of the Lane and am reading Neverwhere, and I'm loving his writing so far!

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Finished The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks. Not one of my favorites. 2 out of 4 stars.

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Colleen0701
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colleen0701.html
Latest Review: "Kennedy's Revenge" by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Colleen0701 »

Kennedy's Revenge 2 out of 4
Some people read to live. I live to read.
Latest Review: "Kennedy's Revenge" by Stephen L Rodenbeck
nadiadeana
Currently Reading: All Those Things We Never Said
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadiadeana.html
Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen

Post by nadiadeana »

Being Mortal by Atul Gawande and the rating I'd give it is 4/4. It is an excellent book for medical students and non-medical students.
Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”