What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Diana Welch
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Diana Welch »

The latest book that I read is " The Mist" by Stephen Kings. I'm speechless with the ending.... The twist is very good!

-- 05 Oct 2017, 01:49 --
Kalin Adi wrote:I just finished "From the Sky" by J.E. Nicassio. I give it 3 out of 4 stars. The plot was surprisingly good, but it had some distracting punctuation errors.
"From the Sky" by J.E. Nicassio, one of the great books that I've read so far. 4/5 stars
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

World's End is the first novel by T C Boyle I have read, but it certainly won't be the last! Winner of the 1988 PEN Faulkner Award, it is nothing short of brilliant, a genuine masterpiece of creative writing.

Set in the environs of New York and spanning more than 300 years, from the 1660s to around 1968, the characters are mainly Dutch settlers and their descendants, with a number of native Indians, mostly Kitchawanks , who play significant roles in the story, and a few families of English descent.

The modern story involves Walter Van Brunt, a relatively aimless and confused young man, who loses both his feet in separate accidents, who is seeking the truth about his father, Truman Van Brunt, who mysteriously abandoned his family when Walter was a young boy.

Boyle swathes deftly , backwards and forwards in time, revealing key details in the long complex histories of the rival Dutch families, the Van Warts and the Van Brunts, as well as an English family called Crane and several Indian connections.

The plot is extensive and impossible to summarize in a brief review, but Boyle manages to incorporate many key elements of American history into the story, from early colonization through to the "communist threat" and the Vietnam War.

But it is the quality of the writing that is the key to the novel's brilliance. Boyle's style is uniquely powerful and compelling - I can't quite find a direct comparison(maybe Doctorow?), but he is surely up there with the modern greats in American literature.

This one comes highly recommended a full 5 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Joy Christine
Currently Reading: When Things Fall Apart
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-christine.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
Reading Device: B00REQL3AE

Post by Joy Christine »

The last book I read was "Yesterday: A Novel of Reincarnation" by Samyann. It was just what I needed when I needed it. Great book from a very talented new author. My first review was posted last night. I gave it 4 out of 4 stars.
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
1busymomma25
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by 1busymomma25 »

Two by two by Nicholas Sparks rating 3 out of 4. I love all of Nicholas Sparks books but this one took me over half the book to get into it. It was a good book and I loved it. The worse part is I'm still at suspense from the end of the book wanting to know what might happen in there future.
yoana
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4753">Blue Lily, Lily Blue</a>
Currently Reading: The Raven King
Bookshelf Size: 229

Post by yoana »

The last book I've read was: "The Young Elites" - Marie Lu (The Young Elites #1). And I gave it 4 out of 4 stars.
Alice Lippit
Favorite Author: Anna-Marie McLemore
Currently Reading: Carve the Mark
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-lippit.html
Latest Review: "My Author Is Dead" by Michel Bruneau
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 23555

Post by Alice Lippit »

Just finished re-reading Song of Edmon by Adam Burch. A solid 4/4 from me, otherwise I wouldn't be re-reading!
Latest Review: "My Author Is Dead" by Michel Bruneau
Marika Tabone
Currently Reading: Lost Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marika-tabone.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Marika Tabone »

Last book I read was Healtg Tips, Myths and Rips by Dr. Tavel. I rated this book 4 out 4 stars.
Azrevread
Currently Reading: Orcas Forever
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azrevread.html
Latest Review: Ten Directions by Samuel Winburn

Post by Azrevread »

The last book I read is Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie G. Lepkowski, Ann M. Hannon and
Margaret B. Hannon. It's an interesting children's book, and worth reading. I rated the book a 3 out of 4.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden.

I love this book so much. The Russian fairy tales incorporated into it were amazing, and it felt like it was written just for me and my fairy tale addiction. Definite 4 out of 4, and I can't wait for The Girl in the Tower!
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote:The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden.

I love this book so much. The Russian fairy tales incorporated into it were amazing, and it felt like it was written just for me and my fairy tale addiction. Definite 4 out of 4, and I can't wait for The Girl in the Tower!
It is on my list, but I think I will wait for the next book before starting it. Thank you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Redlegs
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

The Light of Day by Graham Swift (2003) is, in essence a fairly simple story. A woman, whose gynaecologist husband is having an affair with a much younger female refugee from Croatia, hires a private detective. His job is to follow the lovers to the airport and ensure that the young woman boards a plane and returns home, thus ending the affair.

But it gets more complicated than that, and the actions and reactions of both the wife and the detective are curious and, ultimately, not adequately explained.

Swift has written the story, narrated by the detective, George, in a stream of consciousness style, that jumps backwards and forwards in time, and reveals not only the events of the key storyline, but also details of George's earlier career, marriage and working relationships.

Creative and well- written, it was initially confusing and ultimately not quite satisfying as the reasons for some key events and actions are never quite satisfactorily addressed.

3.5 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

gali wrote:

It is on my list, but I think I will wait for the next book before starting it. Thank you. :)
I believe it's supposed to be a trilogy. :)

I never knew how many Russian fairy tales I was actually familiar with! :lol:

gali

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote:
gali wrote:

Really?? Does it stand on its own, or does it end in a cliffhanger?
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

gali wrote:
Gravy wrote:
gali wrote:

In my opinion, this one stands very well on its own. Everything that is set up in the book, was fully justified to my satisfaction.
Basically, if there was never another book in this series, I would still be perfectly happy with this as a stand-alone book.

gali

Post by gali »

Gravy wrote:
gali wrote:
Gravy wrote:

In my opinion, this one stands very well on its own. Everything that is set up in the book, was fully justified to my satisfaction.
Basically, if there was never another book in this series, I would still be perfectly happy with this as a stand-alone book.
Great! In that case, I will read it soon. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”