What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Yukesh shiyamvasan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yukesh-shiyamvasan.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Yukesh shiyamvasan »

I just finished reading " We Are Voulhire : someone else's end ". I will rate 4 out of 4 stars.
RavingReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravingreads.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by RavingReads »

I just finished the Inheritance Games by Jennifer Lynn Barnes. A great mystery with plot twists and lovable characters! I recommend it to those who are a fan of mystery!
Merrylorrie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merrylorrie.html
Latest Review: King Here by Trish Porter Topmiller

Post by Merrylorrie »

Read King Here by Trish Porter Topmiller yesterday. I rated it 3 out of 4 because the first half is very jumpy and disjointed. She does pull it together in the end. Good read.
Ashu Aarani
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ashu Aarani »

The last book I read was, Micheal Vey: The prisoner of cell 25. I would rate a 9/10, a very good and fast paced start to an amazing series, would recommend.
Honey1495
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honey1495.html
Latest Review: The Necessity of Finance by Dr. Anthony M. Criniti IV

Post by Honey1495 »

The last book I read was The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare. It was a good whodunit mystery which kept me reading well into the night. Not the best mystery book I've read, but definitely one of the better ones out there.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

The Yield, the 2020 Miles Franklin Award winning novel by Tara June Winch, is elegant, educative, poignant and highly engaging. My 4 stars is really a 4.5.

Told in three distinct threads, it features the language of Australia's Wiradjuri people (Winch is a Wiradjuri woman), in telling the story of Ngurambang, its history and colonial dispossession.

Taken all together, these three threads reveal a poignant tale, at once sad but hopeful, highlighting the resolve and resilience of Australia's indigenous population, as well as the many injustices to which they have been and continue to be subjected.

This novel is compelling for its originality and subtlety and the controlled but emphatic emotion with which it is told. It is not shouty or angry, and yet it is forceful, revealing and shamefully educative.

Tara June Winch has given us a profound and moving original novel, one which can quite proudly be recognised as a worthy Miles Franklin winner. 4.5 stars out of 5.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
NadiaELang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadiaelang.html
Latest Review: Genex of Halcyon by Joshua Stelling

Post by NadiaELang »

I just finished the Young Elites Series and I'd give it a 4/5. It was pretty good. I love Marie Lu's books.
RavingReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravingreads.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by RavingReads »

Just finished rereading the Lord of the Rings Series! Have always loved these books!
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: A Date with Justice
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

Crossfire - Malorie Blackman

A solid 4/4 as it was a refreshing continuation of the Noughts and Crosses series and was not a let down at all, especially since the series was meant to have ended years ago on the fourth book in the series. So a fifth book was a nice surprise and completely lived up to its predecessors by still keeping the main narrative but starting afresh with a new plotline. I absolutely loved it. Blackman is one of my favourite authors ever.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

From the Wreck (2017) by Melbourne author Jane Rawson was included in the Longlist for the 2018 Miles Franklin Award.

Set mostly in 19th century South Australia, it is a fictionalised story based on real events, including some extraterrestrial influences.

Rawson explains that the ship Admella was wrecked off the south-east coast of South Australia in 1859, en route from Port Adelaide to Melbourne. There were few survivors, and Rawson has used the real names of George Hills, her great-great grandfather, and a mysterious woman, Bridget Ledwith, as the core of this fictional and slightly surrealistic tale.

Beyond these real events and character names, the rest, as Rawson puts it, is "entirely made up and bears no relationship to reality."

The ending is perhaps a little obscure, as George and the creature who is Bridget come to terms in the water under the Semaphore jetty.

Rawson's message, it seems, is that all life on earth, since the beginning of time, remains connected, forever.

Quirky, imaginative, a lively and novel take on a story of shipwreck and colonial Australian life. Didn't quite hit the mark in places, but easy to read and highly engaging. 4 stars out of 5.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Eareeves99
Currently Reading: The Beautiful Ones
Bookshelf Size: 326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eareeves99.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Eareeves99 »

The Haunting of Brynn Wilder by Wendy Webb. The story was intriguing-I didn’t figure out the mystery until close to the end. 4/4 stars!
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

The Sins of a Master Race
by Matthew Tysz
Mt rating: 3 out of 4 stars
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Bridgetbruso99
Currently Reading: MY FRIEND Marilyn
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgetbruso99.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Bridgetbruso99 »

I just read Perfection and Other Illusive Things by J. Mercer. It was in the YA genre but I think any woman would like it. I gave it 3 out of 4 stars and it really makes you think about what being perfect means.
ggrll
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ggrll »

My most recent read was actually a "comfort" novel from my childhood; Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine. Truly 4 out of 4 stars, but I'm absolutely biased!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The last book I read was Secondary Break and I rated it 4 out of 4 stars. It was really inspirational.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”