What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Swat3737 »

Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff, it was incredible! I'd give it a 4 out of 4, her writing style is beautiful, she uses unique language and it just flowed. The book is the story of a marriage over 24 years, the husband is bright and optimistic while the wife is more introverted. I just loved it!
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Oldoo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Oldoo »

The angel experiment by james patterson and i rate it 3 out of 4 stars.
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

This week's BoTD! WInning the War on Cancer is outstanding, but there are multiple and repeated errors that made me ultimately give it a 3.
eryk516

Post by eryk516 »

A Ladder to the Sky.I give it 4/5.
Gigareads
Favorite Author: Morgan Matson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gigareads.html
Latest Review: The Dream Keepers by Linda Keen
fav_author_id: 4123

Post by Gigareads »

The last book I read was The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen. I really enjoyed it so I rate it 8/10.
Codmeister1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Codmeister1 »

I just finished the Shadow series from the world of Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card). The first two books were phenomenal 5/5 stars. The last one kind of fell apart in my opinion. I finished it because I wanted to see the conclusion, but definitely lost interest in some characters that had previously been captivating (Petra).
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I finished Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion and rated it a 3 out of 4.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

The Buddha of Suburbia by Hanif Kureishi, first released in 1990, is set in 1970s London (and partly in New York), and captures the diverse social change of the time.

Narrated by Karim Amir, a young man who declares in the opening sentences that he is "an Englishman born and bred", (his father is Indian and his mother English), the novel is crude, forthright and very funny.

Karim is a confused mixture of conformist and rebel, keen on sex with both men and women, dedicated to his immediate and extended family and yet keen to branch out and make his own mark on life.

This is a time of changing artistic and musical expression, with the emergence of punk music and avant-garde theatre, a time of rising mystical spirituality, which his father embraces, but nevertheless a time of entrenched racism against migrants of colour and and of obvious class divisions.

The joy of this novel lies in its language (often not for the easily offended) and its wonderful cast of characters. All of the characters, Karim's family, friends, fellow actors and sexual partners, are colorfully drawn and worth a wry smile, if not a full-on guffaw.

Kureishi is perhaps better known for his screenplays, such as My Beautiful Laundrette, but he has written plenty of fiction novels, and I look forward to the opportunity to read more of his work in the future.

4 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

I recently finished reading Escape by Mark Levin. It is book one in a science fiction trilogy. I gave it a rating of 2 out of 4 stars. I was disappointed that it seemed more like a romance than a sci-fi book.
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
BadEditions
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-badeditions.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by BadEditions »

The last book I read was The Forty Rules of Love by Elif Shafak. It completely drew me in and mesmerized me. I give it a rating of 4/4 stars for sure.
HershyGreenwood
Currently Reading: A Storm of Swords
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hershygreenwood.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by HershyGreenwood »

George RR Martin's A Clash of Kings... absolutely loved it, I'd rate it a 4 out of 4...
Sh3rlockian
Currently Reading: The Affair of the Mysterious Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by Sh3rlockian »

The last book I finished was a re-reading of "Jackaby" by William Ritter. I listened to it on audio the second time around and enjoyed the narrator's imagery of this fun, quirky tale. Definitely gets a 4/4 rating from me! It's a paranormal take on the classic detective story.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Two more books completed in the past 24 hours.

Firstly, The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd, based on real life anti-slavery abolitionist Sarah Grimke, with novelist licence of course. A fair tale, lacking in substance and focus, a bit predictable and formulaic. Lacked the charm of The Secret Life of Bees.

Secondly, children's stories by E (Edith) Nesbit, The Enchanted Castle and Five Children and It. Interesting in the historical context of early 20th century children's literature, but not as wonderful as, say, Lewis Carroll and his Alice novels.

3.5 stars out of 5 for both of the above.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Kendra Talks Books

Post by Kendra Talks Books »

Just finished The Savrior’s Champion by Jenna Moreci and I loved it. 4.5 out of 5 stars. I love fantasy and romance, but it’s unusual to find a book that has equal parts and then heart stopping action and brutal fight scenes as well. I took off half of a star because I did guess several major plot points VERY early in the book and the protagonist’s realization that he has feelings for another character was a little too clichéd for me. However, the plot still drew me in and I couldn’t put it down! I read this book all in one sitting. Imagine “The Bachelorette” meets The Hunger Games and that’s what you get with this book.
AlphasFemale
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Gilded Wolves
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphasfemale.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by AlphasFemale »

I just finished reading End of Watch by Stephen King. I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. This is typical of me when it comes to Stephen King I either seem to absolutely love his work or on the rare occasion I hate it. End of Watch was the third and final book in the Mr. Mercedes series and was a very good book if not for the sad conclusion.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”