What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
BrynAM
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by BrynAM »

I have just started Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte and it seems to be a very sophisticated, well told story. Some of the language is not up to date with what today’s youth would understand but in my mind that simply adds to the pleasure of reading. I would rate this book 4/5 stars.
grace crawford
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by grace crawford »

The last book I read was Lady Midnight by Cassandra Claire and I give it five stars! It is definitely a young adult fantasy book and you do have to have read the city of bones series before it, but if you a fan of Claire's writing/universe, I highly recommend!
Shuki152

Post by Shuki152 »

My lastest read was An Enchantment of Ravens by Margaret Rogerson. Has an interesting storyline and world. If you like YA fantasy with magical happenings, I recommend this book.
Elizabeth14
Currently Reading:

Post by Elizabeth14 »

The last book I read was "The Librarian of Auschwitz" which was a good read even though the topic was an extremely sensitive one. I give this book a 4/5 only because I usually like books where the point of view is first person so I can feel sympathy and connect to the main character. This book has a main character, Dita Kraus, but her thoughts are more like assumptions rather than what she said she actually felt in the moment because it is written in third person.
Ellie6us

Post by Ellie6us »

The last book I read was The Word is Murder by Anthony Horowitz. I rated it 3 out of 5 stars.
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

I recently finished Val D Greenwood’s I Will Make Of Thee A Great Nation.
I rate it 3 of 4. Although not a book I greatly enjoyed it was well written.
Ciellabella_22

Post by Ciellabella_22 »

The last book that I have read was, "The Home For Unwanted Girls" by Joanna Goodman. I would rate it 4 out of 5. There are some sensual scenes, only near the beginning, but it still makes me a bit giddy when I read them.
KatiesReading
Currently Reading: Strange the Dreamer
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by KatiesReading »

The Art of Love by Kate Bryan, 4/5 A really good book about real-life couple who are artists and how their relationships are affected by fame and the art world.
Noosh
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Wise Blood
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant
fav_author_id: 17951

Post by Noosh »

I just finished Richard Wright's Black Boy and I gave it 4 out of 4 stars. It was such an amazing book. I'm just sitting here staring at the book and sighing every few seconds. It was brilliant.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket
ernest mwangemi
Favorite Author: Greg Kater
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ernest-mwangemi.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Sean T. Smith
fav_author_id: 119157

Post by ernest mwangemi »

I have just finished reading The Trial of Connor Padget, I rate it a 3 out of 4 stars. it's a must read.
Atharva Joshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Atharva Joshi »

The last book I read was I was dead for 13 minutes by Sarah Pinborough and I would rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I was awesome!
mzmaldita1376
Currently Reading: Exposed The Secret Life of Jodi Arias
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by mzmaldita1376 »

Eclipse by Stephanie Myers. I think that this book is the best one of all the books in this series. Loved it.
Jess_book_queen
Currently Reading: Homo Deus
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jess-book-queen.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Jess_book_queen »

Redlegs wrote: 30 Sep 2018, 22:20 Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell was one hell of a clever novel, not what I was expecting and unlike anything I have read previously.

Cloud Atlas is six stories in one, each slightly connected to the next, moving forward in time from the early 19th century through to a futuristic society, that then retraces itself to close the loop on each of the episodes.

David Mitchell has demonstrated a marvellous dexterity in his writing, as each of the stories is written in a completely different, style, voice and language, with a range of diverse characters and locations.

Each of the stories, told in two parts as the novel moves forward in time and then reverses, is fascinating in its own right. By presenting it the way he has, Mitchell takes the reader on a journey that is sometimes mystifying, always engaging, maintaining a pace that demands you read a few pages more each time.

This is the work of a creative master of his craft, whose imagination and skills with language are to be very much admired.

5 stars out of 5
I have read this book more than a few times, with each consecutive reading proving it to be one of my favourites! I saw in another forum the suggestion of reading each of the sections in their entirety, rather than as the book has them laid out as first half then second half.

I have recently watched the movie and while it brings the magic of the story to light I feel that the format of the book was better at showing the timelines and how they were interwoven. Particularly as the movie changed quickly between characters and it was difficult to understand the many minor details, which would be worse without knowledge from the book. Would be interesting to hear others thoughts on the book/movie comparison.
girly girl
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-girly-girl.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by girly girl »

For me, it was The Infernal Devices series, which I think I would give 8/10. It is great series, and all books are great, but I've definitely read better. There are few books I like more, and honestly I haven't read my perfect '10/10'. Looking for suggestions.
Sophia Orduna
Currently Reading: How to Talk so Little Kids Will Listen
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Sophia Orduna »

Last book I finished was Love & Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerich. Great Bible-based concept and really practical advice for both husbands and wives.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”