What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
apINKpanda21
Favorite Author: Harlan Coben
Currently Reading: The Red Hunter
Bookshelf Size: 36
fav_author_id: 3782

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by apINKpanda21 »

Nikaleigh_ wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 17:35 :P I just finished Crazy Rich Asians and gave it 5/5 🌟 - it was just such a fun, light read!
It's so fun until you get to the last part and then start bawling because of the revelation. 😂
China Rich Girlfriend is more fun, I'm telling you!
As for Rich People Problems, I'm yet to read it.
RedLetter
Currently Reading: The War Within, the Story of Josef
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redletter.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Post by RedLetter »

I just finished reading Cold Fear by Rick Mofina. This book grabbed me within the first few lines. It tells the heartbreaking story of a couple who goes hiking in the Olympic National Forest in Montana, and their young daughter gets lost. It is further revealed that the mother hides a dark secret, and this causes suspicion from the FBI. Is this little girl truly lost, or is there a more sinister act at play? I rated this 4 out of 4 because it draws the reader in and keeps you on the edge of your seat until the very end.
Cheeko123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Cheeko123 »

The angels are the reapers.
If you like zombie type books then this is the book for you.follow temple on her journey through a world full of darkness and zombies. Learn how she survives. She is all alone and doesn't stay long in each town. Very frightening read loved it
acolmenaresc
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by acolmenaresc »

Turtles All the Way Down - John Green

I rate it a 5/5, maybe some people won't like it because it talks a lot about how people with anxiety live, but I really relate to this, and well, I have always liked John Green's books, The Fault in our stars and Paper Towns, I felt were more directed to an audience, than actually John writing his mind out, but this one really did remind me of Looking for Alaska, which felt more genuine.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

If you have read plenty of Jane Austen before, then you will know exactly what to expect with Persuasion. While it is, like all of the others, full of romantic machinations, misunderstandings, parties, parodies of the behaviours of the upper classes and the inevitable pairings and marriage arrangements, this one has a quiet maturity to it and a bit less of the youthful impetuosity of, say, Emma. Anne Elliot is one of Austen's more mature heroines at age 27.

Austen includes the usual motley crew of characters, young and old, earnest and playful, honest and insincere, intelligent and frivolous, and enough social interactions and periods of quiet rumination for us, the reader, to understand the true nature of each of the characters, such that we too are persuaded as to the validity of the plot and the social outcomes of this enjoyable fiction.

4 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Health Tips, Myths and Tricks by Dr. Tavel. Rating was 3 out of 4 stars.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
J3nni315
Currently Reading: Music to My Ears (Pre-Release Beta Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j3nni315.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by J3nni315 »

The last book I read was Saga by Brian K. Vaughan. Well I guess you could call this a comic or a graphic novel, but I finished the 2nd volume and I loved every moment of it. The story follows Alana and Marko as they start a family of their own, and run away from their rival home planets. The two have to battle soldiers, bounty hunters, and figure out how to be parents. So far 4 out of 4 stars.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

"Bitter" by Francesca Jakobi, 4/4. A very touching tale about a mother who tries to put right the relationships with her estranged son.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

The last book I read was The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan (The fourth time :lol: ) and I love it more each time I read it. 5/5 :tiphat:
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Asmita kumari
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Asmita kumari »

The last book i read was murder of roger ackroyd by agatha christe and i rate it 9 upon ten it was a thirller but it was a bit complicated in some parts it surely deserves a 9 upon 10
npbrao

Post by npbrao »

The last thing I read was the Crazy Rich Asians series. I give it a 4/5.

It was fast-paced and humorous for sure, but it gets way too nit-picky on intricate details of clothes, fashion, lifestyle, etc.
Jaspreet2787

Post by Jaspreet2787 »

Hi
The last book that I finished is Julian Barnes' The Sense of an Ending.
I finished it in 2 days.
Out of 5, my rating would be 4 as I loved how beautifully it portrayed the ordinary life of an ordinary man with such common but selected words. The diction glides from your tongue but there remains a taste of that eternal emotions.
Such is story is common to see but presentment was extraordinary.
sasireader21

Post by sasireader21 »

The last book I read was the Young World by Chris Weitz.
4/5 - only because I'm a harsh critic with books.
It was a great read with fantastic pacing and amazing dialogue. I would recommend to anyone who enjoys Y.A. or apocalyptic books!
Redlegs
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

I confess that Venus In Furs by Leopold von Sacher-Masoch was better than I had expected. The tone was lively and engaging, it was short and easy to read (done in two sittings), and the subject matter was less brutal and distressing than I had imagined it might be.

For this is the tale of a man, Severin, who falls in love with a woman, Wanda, and who gives her carte-blanche to be as cruel to him, in the name of love, as she wishes to be. In fact, he begs to be allowed to be her slave, and for Wanda to whip him, abuse him, degrade him and generally treat him in a sub-human fashion, to prove his love for her and hers for him.

The plot is a little twisted, and with the deception that exists in the relationship, it is sometimes hard to differentiate between play acting and reality.

Sacher-Masoch writes with intelligence and eloquence, presenting a number of personal musings on the nature of women and how their love differs from that of men (not that I endorse his views!). But ultimately it is a cautionary tale - be careful what you wish for.

3.5 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

The last book that I read was The Round House by Louise Erdrich. I give it 5/5 stars. I picked this book up on a whim, and I couldn't put it down until I finished the very last sentence.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”