What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
daniel_bratanov
Bookshelf Size: 32

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by daniel_bratanov »

Locke & Key Vol. 4 by Joe Hill
4/5 :techie-studyingbrown:
Liliya
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">Tangible Spirits</a>
Bookshelf Size: 1249
Reading Device: B00GQDBZUY

Post by Liliya »

Rating 5 Stars
Book: Rhuna: New Horizons
Author Barbara Underwood
This series is awesome in so many ways!
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

The Madonna of Excelsior by Zakes Mda. This book falls under historical fiction. It brings South African history during the Apartheid Era to life and shows the scandalous side to it. It is a book worth reading and I rate it 9 out of 10.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
stalliongirlke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stalliongirlke.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by stalliongirlke »

My last book to read is a book titled 'Who told you that you were naked?' a very interesting self-help christian book whose theme is centered around the concept of sin, it's origin and it's nature.
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

The last book I read is the Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole, a very interesting book which deserve​s a 4 stars rating.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Bran
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Bran »

:angelic-cyan: :angelic-cyan: :shock: The fall of Lucifer by Wendy Alec. Breaks up the mundane of Sunday school, swoops in with action & the ability to stay on track ... the Angels, God, heaven, earth, seduction, power, little bad boy action. Didn't lose me. I never read a book twice unless I'm doing research. I would read this again.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I finished Luna by Julie Anne Peters.
It focuses on the sister of transgender Liam/Luna. It doesn't pull punches. I wasn't always a fan of the characters, but they were real, and I have to respect that.

I rated it a 4 out of 4.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
perlaa
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by perlaa »

I just finnished Prodigy, and again Marie Lu did not dissapoint at all. 4/5 stars for me
Asile
Currently Reading: Dark Blood
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asile.html
Latest Review: "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner

Post by Asile »

The last book I read was the The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho. I think the book deserves a 4/4 because of what you gain once you read through the book completely. It was a slow story in the beginning, but blossomed with growth of the main character, philosophy of one self, culture of another location, and insight into a belief that transformed to fit everyone of any religion. I really didn’t want the book to end. "Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself."
Latest Review: "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner
Lennycat
Currently Reading: finding nary
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennycat.html
Latest Review: Saving Nary by Carol DeMent

Post by Lennycat »

The last book I read was the second book in The Golden Compass Trilogy by Phillip Pullman, The Subtle Knife. I would give it 4 stars. Pullman is an excellent storyteller and his characters have come to life for me. I'm reading the third book now and I think I'll be a bit sad when I'm finished.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Dune by Frank Herbert is now more than 50 years old (1965), and I first read it at least 35 years ago. I was impressed enough then to read most of the several following novels in the series, and I remain impressed by this novel more than 3 decades later.

This is quality science fiction from what I consider to be the golden age of the genre, before space travel was a reality and the imaginations of writers such as Herbert were fertile, ground-breaking and quite prolific.

Dune is set on the planet Arrakis, a desert-like planet, subject to a severe lack of water, fierce wind storms and giant worms more than 200 metres in length. But it is also rich with a spice, a mélange, which is harvested at great risk to be exported at massive profits throughout the galaxy.

Herbert provides extensive detail about the world of Arrakis - its ecology, its religions, spice mining, the essential nature of water and the nature of the giant worms. And there is plenty of fighting, blood, violence and gore to satisfy just about anyone who fancies that kind of thing. The story is overlain with a sense of mysticism and religion, with elements of the supernatural and magical powers. The novel well transcends the boundary between science fiction and fantasy genres.

This is definitely worth a read for those who like quality sci-fi -4 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Redlegs wrote:Dune by Frank Herbert is now more than 50 years old (1965), and I first read it at least 35 years ago. I was impressed enough then to read most of the several following novels in the series, and I remain impressed by this novel more than 3 decades later.

This is quality science fiction from what I consider to be the golden age of the genre, before space travel was a reality and the imaginations of writers such as Herbert were fertile, ground-breaking and quite prolific.

Dune is set on the planet Arrakis, a desert-like planet, subject to a severe lack of water, fierce wind storms and giant worms more than 200 metres in length. But it is also rich with a spice, a mélange, which is harvested at great risk to be exported at massive profits throughout the galaxy.

Herbert provides extensive detail about the world of Arrakis - its ecology, its religions, spice mining, the essential nature of water and the nature of the giant worms. And there is plenty of fighting, blood, violence and gore to satisfy just about anyone who fancies that kind of thing. The story is overlain with a sense of mysticism and religion, with elements of the supernatural and magical powers. The novel well transcends the boundary between science fiction and fantasy genres.

This is definitely worth a read for those who like quality sci-fi -4 stars out of 5

I have read and loved the book as well. A great book indeed!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
TobiOrNotTobi
Currently Reading: Dracula
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by TobiOrNotTobi »

The last book I read was Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee. It was a pretty good story.

I'm rating it a 4/5, because of how the whole story was put together. It was a little hard for me to follow what was happening, because everything was all over the place.
"Grief is deeper when the sun goes down and memories rise up with the moon and stars." - "A Lineage of Grace" by Francine Rivers
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Post by Natalie Charlene »

Undeniable by Bill Nye was the last book I read. I rate it a 5/5! It was absolutely wonderful!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I just finished Children of Covenant by Fred Howard, BOTD for June 2. The novel opens the door for people of different faiths to understand each other. Truly, whichever God one worships (or even if one doesn't believe in a God at all), brothers all are we. I rate the book 4 of 4.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”