What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I just finished The Story of Santa Claus by BC Chase. It’s fantasy novel, and it wasn’t bad, but it was really formulaic and not too original. At times, the story felt like an add-on to Tolkien’s Lord of The Rings Trilogy. I give it 2.5 out if four stars.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Written Legalist
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-written-legalist.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Post by Written Legalist »

I read Wuthering Heights recently, which taught me never to piss off my adopted younger brother like Earnshaw did. Oh, and maybe spurned love creates ghosts lol
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas
Redlegs
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Forecast: Turbulence by Janette Turner Hospital is something of a mixed bag of short stories, several of them very short with a couple that are a bit longer. Most of the stories, some set in the author's native Australia and others set in America where she now works and lives, have been published previously in magazines etc.

They have been brought together here in a small anthology loosely based on a theme of turbulent weather, but covering a wide variety of situations. Most have more to do with human relationships than the weather.

Some I really enjoyed, and others just left me wondering. There were a few really neat surprises, however.

As always, Turner Hospital writes with elegance and wit - she is indeed a fine prose writer. But I was left feeling a little deflated and wanting something more for my money. Right on the borderline between 3.5 and 4 stars out of 5.

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
ixora
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ixora.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by ixora »

Just finished Avalon by Anya Seton and loved it! I would give 5/5 stars it had everything I really like in a story and was well written. I highly recommend it.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

I just finished The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub. I rated it 3/4 stars. It opened and closed with a quote from Mark Twain, which I found to be a nice touch. Everything in between- dark fantasy, a little horror, mystery, and science fiction. I enjoyed it overall. It had great character build-up (as King usually does) allowing me to feel connected to the story. The relationships that take hold through the journey are endearing to say the least! An open-mind is highly recommended if picking up this book! What with hairy-creature friends and parallel worlds--things get interesting!

I also finished a book from here called Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles. Unfortunately, this one got a 2/4 stars. The only reason it got two and not one was because it was nominated for a writing award two years in a row so I figured people out there did enjoy it and other might as well. I, however, found it to be a distinguished idea for a plot, but not organized with it's delivery. I have some other reviews of Coles' work on the website, so I will give one of those a try! Just out of curiosity...

Happy reading!
DPrevost
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by DPrevost »

The last book I read was Here’s to Us by Elin Hilderbrand. I loved this book and how the chapters were from the point of view of different characters. I would consider it realistic fiction even though it’s hard to believe that 2 ex-wives and the widow can become friends over a weekend. It was a beautiful story about trials and triumphs of an abandoned child who goes on to become a famous chef. I would rate it 4 out of 4 stars.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

The last book I read is "Dairy of a Snoopy Cat" by K.F Kristi. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars because it has a great theme, interesting plot and it suits the intended readers.
MarvtheMartian
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MarvtheMartian »

Cosmos by Carl Sagan. I would have to give it 3/5. That being because Pale Blue Dot, by the same author, seemed to have more information.
Redlegs

Post by Redlegs »

Oblomov by Ivan Goncharov (1859) is a tragi-comic novel set in mid 19th century Russia. The eponymous 'hero' of the is Ilya Oblomov, who suffers form the 'disease of Oblomovka'. That is, a lethargy, boredom, ennui and general inertia that prevents him from taking the natural steps that an ordinary person would take to make the most of his life.

His days are spend in bed or lazing around the house, attended by faithful servants, friends and landlords, while Oblomov oscillates between periods of good intentions and apathy, without ever actually taking action. His friends are persistent in their encouragement and caring attention, because, despite his lethargy, Oblomov is, at heart, a genial and friendly fellow.

Even when Olga, an eligible young woman, is attracted to Ilya, and he returns her affections, he is consumed by doubts and apathy, until he eventually loses her, and she marries one of his best friends.

Behind the human story of Oblomov and his family and social cohort, Goncharov has written a parody of Russian society. Oblomov is representative of Goncharov's opinion of the Russian nobility and its reluctance and inability to drive the necessary changes required to modernize and stimulate the country. Goncharov also takes aim at serfdom and the peasant class, with their ancient folklore, superstitions and general apathy towards progress.

This is a fine example of mid 19th century Russian literature, written with wit, warmth and a lively style.

4 stars out of 5

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Finished The Brightest Fell by Seanan McGuire. 4 out of 4.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Finished "Sea of Rust" by C. Robert Cargill, a brilliant book that follows the life of a robot named Brittle in a post-apocalyptic future without human population. 4 out of 4!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Redlegs

Post by Redlegs »

The Quiet American by Graham Greene is a brilliantly crafted, intelligent and prescient novel set in colonial Vietnam in the 1950s.

The quiet American of the title is Alden Pyle, a naïve and inexperienced young man who is an agent of the American government sent to covertly interfere in local politics and power factions.

The story is narrated by Thomas Fowler, an older crusty English journalist, who has been in the east for a considerable time and is more than reluctant to be sent back to England to resume his failed marriage with his religiously devout wife.

Of common interest to the two men is Phuong, a beautiful, placid and accommodating young local woman, who lives in an affectionate relationship with Fowler, but with whom Pyle falls in love and wants to marry.

The backdrop to this strange love triangle is the fractured and deteriorating political situation in colonial Vietnam. At this time, the French are the colonial masters, but they are losing control and some interest. Skirmishes that are escalating towards all out war have broken out between the communist forces of the north (Viet Minh) and those of the south still more loyal to their French masters.

The Americans, with their deep-seated paranoia of communism, are seeking to gain a foothold, to influence the local dynamics of power, believing that, as a Third Force that is not an occupying power, they can prevent the spread scourge of Chinese communist influence through the region.

Greene's writing, as always, is subtle and finely nuanced, as he combines the personal and the political, never quite taking sides through the voice of Fowler, but writing as a keen observer who nevertheless has opinions. Greene prefers not to deal in black and white but in interminable shades of grey.

The narrative moves easily backwards and forwards in time, although it covers a relatively short period of time overall. But it is cleverly and intelligently structured and always in complete control.

Personally, I think this is one of Greene' finest novels. I'm giving it 4.5 stars out of 5.

Scolletapie
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scolletapie.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Post by Scolletapie »

The last book I read is "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing. How Anna falls in love with Rafael and how they starts a journey in seeking justice against assault makes the book a page turner!!
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Vadimbys
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Vadimbys »

I just finished reading "The Well" - by Joe Faster. Very interesting horror book, which keeps the reader in suspense from the first and up to the last page! 10/10 :D :twisted: :techie-studyingbrown:
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Temptation Trials Part II by B. Truly
3 out of 4 stars

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”