What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
AJamie
Favorite Book: The Smart One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by AJamie »

One night with a Prince by Sabrina Jeffries. I would rate it 4/4. Really interesting novel. Thou can be read as a stand alone, it is a series from The Royal Brotherhood
Chaconiacharles
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Chaconiacharles »

Last book I read was aluria by Tyler I gave it 3 out of 4 :)
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

CinWin wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 15:35 I just finished The Girl Who Knew da Vinci. I rated it 4 out of 4 stars because it was a really interesting book. I love the way they time traveled and the rich descriptions of the land and the food. I would definitely recommend this book to all who enjoy historical fiction and romance!
I agree with you, I mean, I rated it 3/4 stars, but it was only because of grammatical/formatting mistakes and very minor complaints on my part. I legitimately enjoyed the book from beginning to end! It ended just as interestingly as it began. I had high hopes going into it as it was a book featuring a bit of Leonardo da Vinci, and I was impressed overall
Last edited by Tamorie Hargro on 05 Jul 2018, 01:59, edited 1 time in total.
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

The last book I read was Running With Lions by Julian Winters.

It's a YA sports/romance book and I'd rate it a full 4 stars, because it was basically everything you'd want in a novel about adolescence: self-identity, questioning the future, family and friendship, and belonging to a team. It was great and I'd definitely recommend it!
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Michael Lilly
Currently Reading: The Goose Girl
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-lilly.html
Latest Review: The Elf Brief by Jordan David

Post by Michael Lilly »

Last book I read and finished that was not an OnlineBookClub entry was Ash and Quill by Rachel Caine, and I gave it a good solid 3 out of 4 stars. It is no better, and no worse than the other books in this series, fast paced, and set in a world where the Library of Alexandria rules all.

The last OnlineBookClub entry I read was The Elf Brief, which I also gave a 3 out of 4 stars rating, mostly because of the apparent lack of copy0-editing. (other than that it was a great book, and I so want to read the other 8 books in the series)
zoharis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 198

Post by zoharis »

The last book I read was Surprise Me by Megan Maxwell and I gave it 2 of 4 stars because it is more of the same. Mel is a copy of Judith & Bjorn another Eric. I expected something different.
ccranston
Favorite Book: The Last Time I Lied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccranston.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by ccranston »

I just finished Puddle Jumping by Amber L. Johnson. Despite the Urban Dictionary definition of "Puddle Jumping," this book was so heart-warming. The main character tells the story of how she fell in love with an autistic boy. I give it a 4/5, only because I really wanted to know the other main character's point of view.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend." –Paul Sweeney
Jmar_la
Currently Reading: Toxic Side Effect
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmar-la.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Jmar_la »

The last book I read and gave a rating to was Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane. I gave the book a 4 out of 4 stars because it was so well written. I would love to read more by that author.
kgloving

Post by kgloving »

The Paris Wife by Paula McLain about Ernest Hemingway's first wife. Love it. 5 stars.
Aliyu Yusuf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliyu-yusuf.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Aliyu Yusuf »

"Yesterday" by Samyann
I gave it a rating of 3 out of 4.
It's really a nice book
you should check it out
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

Forty rules of love: a novel about Rumi by Elif Shafak is a novel that tells the story of four main characters in different time connected by love, poetry and Sufism. A different take on the teachings of Quran and a vividly described Anatolian region. Through this novel Shafak has successfully convinced me to travel to Turkey and see the country's beauty for myself. I'm awarding a perfect score of five out five stars. I highly recommend that others read it as well.
kgloving

Post by kgloving »

Thanks for reminding me to re-read Forty Rules of Love. It is a five-star novel, although it takes a while to get used to the chapter flow from differing points of view.
julessawyer wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 08:00 Forty rules of love: a novel about Rumi by Elif Shafak is a novel that tells the story of four main characters in different time connected by love, poetry and Sufism. A different take on the teachings of Quran and a vividly described Anatolian region. Through this novel Shafak has successfully convinced me to travel to Turkey and see the country's beauty for myself. I'm awarding a perfect score of five out five stars. I highly recommend that others read it as well.
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

kgloving wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 11:19 Thanks for reminding me to re-read Forty Rules of Love. It is a five-star novel, although it takes a while to get used to the chapter flow from differing points of view.
julessawyer wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 08:00 Forty rules of love: a novel about Rumi by Elif Shafak is a novel that tells the story of four main characters in different time connected by love, poetry and Sufism. A different take on the teachings of Quran and a vividly described Anatolian region. Through this novel Shafak has successfully convinced me to travel to Turkey and see the country's beauty for myself. I'm awarding a perfect score of five out five stars. I highly recommend that others read it as well.
No problem. I will read it again as well. I'm just waiting for the book's impact to subside. I did not have any problem with the chapter flow but on how much I want to read all the characters perspectives on the events that they are involved. Thanks for your reply! :)
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Two books finished in the past day or two. Firstly, The Shifting Fog by Kate Morton (sometimes known as The House at Riverton) which was a mildly entertaining paint-by-numbers effort that is generally competent, well-structured, easy to read, but ultimately unsatisfying.

Morton has followed her tried and tested formula in constructing this period novel, set mostly between 1914 and 1924 in England, and narrated by an elderly woman approaching her last days on earth, who was witness to events that constitute something of a mystery.

The characters are reasonably well drawn, the narrative is brisk, and yet the writing is mostly bland and soulless. The 'mystery' is fairly predictable and eventually revealed in the final pages of the novel in a manner that is neither credible nor convincing. In fact, the whole ending is something of a disaster all round, as Morton resorts to clumsy and unnecessary cliches that should have been resisted. 3 stars out of 5.

Secondly, Tristram Shandy by Laurence Sterne, a 'classic' that I just didn't enjoy at all - I just wanted it to be over!

The story just rambles along aimlessly, in an unusual style that frequently addresses the reader directly, and most of the time I had little clue about what was going on or the relevance of what was being related.

I can appreciate its position in the history of English literature, but it was just boring, pointless nonsense as far as I was concerned. 2 stars out of 5.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Justice Emeonye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Justice Emeonye »

Things fall apart

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”