What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by NL Hartje »

I recently finished Trinity's Convergence, the first in what is meant to be an upcoming series. It's a fantasy that, through much of the read, I intended to rate 4 out of 4 stars. Cool new ideas and fun relics had me sold. As it dragged on (dragged being the operative word here) I decided it was only a 3 star book because the story progression was just too stale. Still a good one though!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

Just last night I finished The Sekhmet Bed by Libbie Hawker. I'd give it a 3 out of 4 rating. It was an interesting story about two sisters married to the Pharaoh of Egypt. One woman is god-chosen and the gods speak to her, the other is ridiculously beautiful and feminine. The two fight and argue with each other while trying to help their husband rule Egypt, and as a family, they all face severe consequences imposed upon them by the gods for failing to do as the gods will. There's some romance, and some strong female characters, but there are so many typos and poor grammar that it's distracting and detracts from the story.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

Lemoncella cocktail by Rene Natan.i gave i a 2/5 due to the many errors and poor story flow
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

The Collected Works of Nathanael West is a collection of four relatively short stories or novellas originally published separately in the 1930s.

Of the four stories, the one I preferred most was Miss Lonelyhearts, the tale of a man writing a popular newspaper column under this pseudonym, offering advice to the lovelorn, the lonely and those down on life.

A Cool Million is a sad tale of misfortune, told in a staccato, almost comic book style, totally unrealistic in the scenarios it portrays, and which seems to pay some homage to cheap western novels. It is quite racist in many respects.

The Day of the Locust is a bizarre and nihilistic portrayal of people connected to the film industry, a set of characters (including a poor schmuck called Homer Simpson) with dreams and aspirations that they have no hope of achieving or even any clue how to go about finding success.

The final story, called The Dream Life of Balso Snell, is a surrealistic ramble that makes very little sense at all. It was mercifully short.

Overall, this is a mixed bag by a reasonably unique American writer, worthy of a notable place in literary history for his original style and unusual perspectives of 1930s America. But there are plenty of other American writers that I prefer over Nathanael West.

3.5 stars out of 5.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Clary_Jackson_2005
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Clary_Jackson_2005 »

The last book I read was First Year from The Black Mage series. Most of you guys wouldn't have heard about it, but believe me, it is a really underrated book. Everyone should try The Black Mage series out, written by Rachel E Carter. I rate this book 4/5 stars.
bwill93
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bwill93.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by bwill93 »

Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base.
I adore children's books and this one was fantastic - 4/4
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I just finished Guardians- William H Coles 3/5
It was a good story but the story line seemed rushed and the conclusion was not solid enough.
iknwuzoh
Currently Reading: We Are Voulhire: Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iknwuzoh.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by iknwuzoh »

Keys To Tetouan by Mois Benarroch. The book shows the state of Jews in the modern era. I rated it 4/4.
sashsen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sashsen.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by sashsen »

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. Excellent book. Despite being very short, you do feel an immediate connection with the characters. This is gripping from start to finish. 4/5
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I just finished Solaris Seethes by Janet McNulty. I give it a 4/4 rating. It was so good I couldn't put it down. Great read!
Karely
Currently Reading: The Winter Witch
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karely.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Karely »

I just posted my first review for Diary of a Snoopy Cat. I rated it 3/4 stars.
haleygerstenberg
Currently Reading: Amusing ourselves to death
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleygerstenberg.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by haleygerstenberg »

The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor. I rated it 4/4 - it's basically the How to Win Friends and Influence People for consultants. Very good book, I liked the author a lot.
SammiArch
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammiarch.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by SammiArch »

Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Very interesting book. 3/4 rating. Absolutely suggest this book for adult, sci-fi buffs.
Sammi Arch
SoonerKate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soonerkate.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by SoonerKate »

Pick Six by Max Monroe. Guilty pleasure book. Almost a 4/4 for me.
MostAmazed
Currently Reading: Food Bank Britain
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by MostAmazed »

Last book I read was the talon Saga Series really good series keeep guessing definitely worth the read I couldn't get enough

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”