What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
solanaphillip800
Favorite Book: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-solanaphillip800.html
Latest Review: The Not So Great American Novel by James E. Doucette

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by solanaphillip800 »

diary of a snoopy cat i gave it a 4 out of 4 stars
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

I read Alex Sapegin's Becoming the Dragon. I gave it 3 out of 4.
Sam3927
Currently Reading: NAPOLEON, CHARLES XII and HITLER, Challenge and Calamity in Russia
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Sam3927 »

Last book I read was There and Back There Again
by Andrew Alsup. A superb read and it's gets 10/10 from me.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Blackfish City by Sam J. Miller

Loved it. Gave it full marks.
You can find out why here.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Cswrawr
Currently Reading: El Conde Karlstein
Bookshelf Size: 1011
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cswrawr.html
Latest Review: Isabella's Painting by Ellen Butler

Post by Cswrawr »

Assuming this is just in general and not for the reviews, yesterday I finished San Francisco is Burning by Dennis Smith. It's about the 1906 earthquake and following fires that destroyed most of the city. Two thumbs up or perhaps 4/5 stars, only because it dragged once or twice. Overall a fascinating read though.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C Clarke was written in 1968, in conjunction with Stanley Kubrick, who developed the script for the film of the same name simultaneously, and remains a very fine example of classic 1960s science fiction writing.

Based around the much debated premise that there must be, or must have been, other intelligent life forms somewhere in the universe, this is a gripping and intelligent tale of a journey into outer space by five astronauts (not all of whom made the final destination) and a HAL9000 computer that is a fabulous introduction to the currently topical issue of artificial intelligence.

After a strange black column was found buried on the Moon, which Earth was colonising and exploiting at the time the story is set (but was written a year before Man actually first set foot on the Moon), and the discovery that this 3 million year old object transmitted a massive signal to what seemed to be a moon of Saturn, the ensuing space mission was undertaken in absolute secrecy.

During the journey, the HAL9000 computer, which the men aboard spoke to and referred to as Hal, as if it was another human, went awry and misdiagnosed equipment faults. It then appears that, due to the human-like emotions programmed into it, Hal tried to cover for his errors by going completely rogue and putting the whole mission into serious jeopardy.

The ending, although it may not satisfy those who like everything wrapped up neatly and presented with a bow, its quite brilliant in its conception and execution. I won't go into detail, because it would be difficult to avoid spoiling the surprise and rapture of it.

4 good solid stars out of 5.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
IntrovertBooklover
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-introvertbooklover.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by IntrovertBooklover »

The last book I read was The Secret by Rhonda Byrne. Rating: 3 out of 4 (alternative: 9/10)
f-callisaya
Favorite Book: The Fellowship of the Ring
Currently Reading: Blood of the Prophets
Bookshelf Size: 1546
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by f-callisaya »

I just finished The Nature of the Beast by Louise Penny. It's the 11th in the Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series, a mystery/crime series set mostly in the rural village of Three Pines, Quebec. The whole series is fantastic but this particular book wasn't one of my favorites so I rated it a 3/5, which is average for me.
Nikaleigh_
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nikaleigh_ »

:P I just finished Crazy Rich Asians and gave it 5/5 🌟 - it was just such a fun, light read!
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

My last read for OBC was Superhighway by Alex Fayman and I gave it 3/4.

My last personal read was Lost Boys by Orson Scott Card and I give it 3/4 as well.I

The personal read before that was A Dance With Dragons; Book five of the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin. I give it 100 out of 100 stars. That whole series has just been incredible.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
BookishCoffeeBlog
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcoffeeblog.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by BookishCoffeeBlog »

I just finished the audiobook of The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick and I gave it a 3.5/5 stars. It was a pretty good read but I think having watched the movie before reading the book may have lessened my enjoyment.
ReviewsbyElena
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewsbyelena.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by ReviewsbyElena »

Twisted Threads and my rate is 4 out of 4
Winslow
Currently Reading: Killing the SS
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by Winslow »

The last book I read was Hillbilly Elegy by J D Vance. I would rate it 4 stars. In the book the author describes how your cultural upbringing can have a tremendous impact on your success in life. His family background is the Hillbilly culture which is very violent oriented. J D Vance first became a marine and after getting out went to Ohio State and ultimately received a law degree from Yale. What he stresses is the importance for someone in your family to be a mentor, someone who guides you onto the right path. For him it was his grandparents. It is also a story about the problems of poor whites (pyschologically poor) who have moved into the rust belt towns of Ohio and have be left behind by our American Society.

Louie Winslow
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

More than 30 years on from its initial publication in 1987, My Place by Sally Morgan remains as relevant and topical today as it was at the time. It is no wonder that it remains one of Australia's most loved personal memoirs.

Sally Morgan, the daughter of a white man and an aboriginal woman, was raised in Western Australia, deliberately kept in the dark by her mother and grandmother about her indigenous roots. When the question was raised, she was advised to tell people she was Indian.

This, in itself, is a very sad indictment of the prevailing attitudes of white Australians towards its own first people. The notion that you would be treated better, that less harm would be done to you, if you denied your aboriginality remains a disturbing, sad and shameful aspect of Australian history.

In the first part of the book, Morgan relates her own childhood, living with an alcoholic father, an ex-POW mentally destroyed by the war, her mother Gladys and her grandmother Daisy.

As Sally becomes an adult, her curiosity about her ancestry increases and becomes more persistent, and she continues to question her mother and grandmother with limited success.

The arrival of her Uncle Arthur, her grandmother's brother, stimulates her curiosity even further, and she eventually convinces him to tell his story, which he completes just prior to his death.

Sally convinced her mother to travel north, to revisit the country of her childhood and family, and together they meet many relatives who remember Daisy and Gladys from many years ago. The revelations and emotions revealed in this journey were very moving indeed.

This journey prompted Gladys to relent a little and tell her own story in more detail to Sally 'for her book', and it seems she found that to be a rewarding and cathartic experience.

And, eventually, knowing that her death was imminent, Daisy eventually succumbed to Sally's persistence to tell her own story, going back to the very early 1900s, although Daisy insisted there were some secrets she would never tell.

Without preaching or rancour, and in a very simple and engaging style, Morgan has exposed the tribulations and injustices suffered by aboriginal people in Australia since the beginnings of white colonisation. Australia can never claim that slavery never existed in this country.

4.5 stars out of 5.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Lawkwhud

Post by Lawkwhud »

I just finished Diary of a wimpy kid the third wheel by Jeff Kinney..
It's one of my books yet...
I must admit I love Jeff Kinney and his work... and I'm also starting to compare him to Luke Temple

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”