What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Carrie R
Favorite Author: So many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=19706">A Fine Balance</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Carrie R »

"The People in the Trees" by Hanya Yanagihara. Gave it 4 stars. Great writing but slow moving at times and it has a dark--and uncomfortable--twist to it I wasn't expecting.
Official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull ~ March book of the month!

Review of The Seneca Scourge - Previous book of the month!
Lin2412
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lin2412 »

I'm halfway through Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol. Truly a great read. I'm hoping to finish before the month ends despite my hectic schedules.

Rating: 4/5 (at the moment)
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I listened to an audio of Romulus by Jacob Abbot. About the Romulus legends and the mythical founding of Rome. Engrossing book, it goes into a lot of detail from Romulus and Remus beginnings to later Roman figures. Abbot's history books are an easy read and hold one's attention.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
ylisa7
Favorite Author: It Varies
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 25127">The Elephant Whisperer</a>
Bookshelf Size: 3456
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by ylisa7 »

I just finished The Paris Architect by Charles Belfoure. An architect in Nazi occupied France is hired by a wealthy businessman to hide jews in hidden spaces inside homes. I thought the book was excellent and give it a 5 out of 5.
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
Oscar Wilde

理沙
Verdun

Post by Verdun »

The Land of Green Plums by Herta Muller. Set in Romania during Ceausecu's reign, I had hoped that this book would provide a good insight into that dreadful autocracy, but it told me nothing. I think Muller tried to copy Franz Kafka's style of writing and failed miserably. So bad I wouldn't even donate it to a charity shop!
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I listened to an audio of Green Tea by J.S. Lefanu. One of those that starts out kind of mediocre but slowly builds up to a terrifying climax. Not as good as LeFanu's Carmilla or Shalken The Painter, but it has a few chills.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
7Shane6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-7shane6.html

Post by 7Shane6 »

I read Phil Klay 's Redeployment, a collection of short stories about the Iraq war that was recently long listed for the National Book Award. I learned a lot, I was immediately engaged, and I give it five stars. A great new talent.
Geneen Karstens

Post by Geneen Karstens »

Stella Bain by Anita Shreve. Stella wakes up in an army hospital in France during WW1 with no memory of who she is or where she's from. She travels to London and receives treatment from a cranial doctor who is also interested in psychiatric therapy. She has an American accent and realizes she has children, so she returns to America where she confronts her past. I've also read Sea Glass by this author. She is very good. 5/5
Carrie R
Favorite Author: So many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=19706">A Fine Balance</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull

Post by Carrie R »

Geneen Karstens wrote:Stella Bain by Anita Shreve. Stella wakes up in an army hospital in France during WW1 with no memory of who she is or where she's from. She travels to London and receives treatment from a cranial doctor who is also interested in psychiatric therapy. She has an American accent and realizes she has children, so she returns to America where she confronts her past. I've also read Sea Glass by this author. She is very good. 5/5
I've always enjoyed her books. I haven't read Stella Bain yet. I'll have to check it out. I really liked "Fortune's Rock" and "The Pilot's Wife."
Official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull ~ March book of the month!

Review of The Seneca Scourge - Previous book of the month!
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

Gannon wrote:
Fran wrote:Finished Affinity by Sarah Waters
Good read but didn't enjoy it quite as much as The Little Stranger or Fingersmith but a good read nonetheless.
I'd give it a 3/5*
Hey Fran, love, love, love "The Little Stranger". :D Have not read Fingersmith.
Gannon...give it a go...I think it is one of her best. :D
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
zeldagreene
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeldagreene.html

Post by zeldagreene »

I recently finished Enchanted by Alethea Kontis. It is a YA retelling of the frog prince. I really liked it in the beginning, but it got confusing toward the end. I give it a 3.5/5.
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

Tribulation Force by Tim LaHaye

Second book in the Left Behind series. Seriously....I am leaving the rest of this 18 book series BEHIND okay. I hope I can use B.H's "stupid scale" here...I give this book at least 8 STUPIDS. The Original book was interesting. This is just milking a cash cow.
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A Man Called Ove /Fredrik Backman, 5 out of 5 stars. A gem of a book about a grumpy old man who finds love and happiness in the most unlikely place. An uplifting, heart warming book and highly recommended!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Finished a book I got for free called Wicked Hunger (by DelSheree Gladden). First book in a series, and now I definitely have to get the rest of the series! Arg! It was so good. I haven't put in my rating on Goodreads or Amazon yet, but it will definitely be a 5 star vote!
lincolnp

Post by lincolnp »

I am currently reading the Game of Thrones books by George RR Martin. I couldn't get into it until I saw the first season of the show. Now I can't put them down. I also just finished a biography by Eric Metaxas - Bonhoeffer: A Biography. Very good, very interesting book about a pastor in Germany during the Third Reich. It prompted me to read The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich - a little tedious at times, but still interesting.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”