What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Uche B
Currently Reading: China rich girlfriend
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-b.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Uche B »

Ghana Must Go by Taiye Selasi. In the beginning, I didn't really like it but I started getting into it by the middle of the novel. I didn't like the narration sometimes but it was a compelling story. I give it 3 out of 4 stars.
juliamenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliamenez.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by juliamenez »

I just read Apollo's Raven and gave it 4/4 stars.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

The last book that I read was Embalmer: A Steve Jobz Thriller i gave it a rating of 2 out of 4 stars.
Chelsea N. Hackett
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by TheTrueNyree »

The Girl Who Knew DaVinci by Belle Ami, was the last book I have read. I give it a 4 out of 4 stars. It was faced paced, and full of passion. I really did not want to put the book down once I started reading it.
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Miercoles »

The last book that I read was Concealment by Rose Edmunds. I gave it 4 out of 4 stars. A compelling psychological thriller, I could imagine the movie being made based on this book.
Christal Merkey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 742
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christal-merkey.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic
2024 Reading Goal: 4
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Christal Merkey »

Mine was Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer with my personal rating of 2/5 stars.
Juliar252
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliar252.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Juliar252 »

"Yes, Please" by Amy Poehler, it took me a while to finish but it was a great before bed read, so I give it a 3 out of 4 stars.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

For a novel with such a bland, unimaginative title, Robert Lewis Taylor's The Travels of Jaimie McPheeters is, sure as heck, an absolute ripping yarn. It was recognised as such by winning the Pulitzer Prize in 1959.

Most of the action takes place in 1849/1850, as young Jaimie, then around 13 years of age, travels with his dreamer of a father, Dr Sardius McPheeters, across America from Louisville to the goldfields of California.

The majority of the novel is narrated by young Jaimie, bringing with it the complaisance and humour of youth, as the lad describes the interactions of the adults around him as well as the numerous tribulations and adventures encountered by the wagon train on its long journey, as well as some of his own personal adventures.

Sprinkled into Jaimie's narrative are epistolary chapters written by his father Sardius, who keeps a detailed journal and writes letters back home to his wife Melissa and the two daughters left behind.

Sardius completely underestimates the travail and hazards of such a long journey, and is under the illusion that once in California, he can pluck enough gold from the ground in quick time to bring the rest of the family west.

The journey begins disastrously, with Jaimie falling overboard from a riverboat, and believed drowned. He is not, of course.

There follows numerous interactions with honest folk, rogues and bandits, friendly and hostile Indian tribes, harsh environmental conditions, near disasters through drought and storm, a sojourn with the Mormons in Salt Lake City over winter, until what remains of the party finally arrives in the Californian goldfields.

And even here, the tribulations do not diminish, and the McPheeters' are not afforded a smooth path towards a coveted fortune. The doctor's illusions are quickly shattered by the realities of the lawlessness and harsh conditions on the goldfields.

This is a very fine piece of good old fashioned story telling, cleverly constructed, told with humour, affection and elan, full of wonderful characters and a thoroughly believable plot.

Highly recommended. 5 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
amsula_2018
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsula-2018.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by amsula_2018 »

I just finished reading The World of Ato and it is an amazing read. I rated it 4 out of 4 stars. :techie-studyinggray: :roll: :roll: :roll:
"If you can't reduce your argument to a few crisp words and phrases,
there's something wrong with your argument." ~ M. Saatchi
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Peppermint Mocha Murder by Pam Moll is the last book I read. A fun cozy mystery! I rated it 3/4 stars, there were some editorial errors, but it was still easy to read. Check out my full review for more info.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Bookmaniac
Currently Reading: The Last Stop
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Bookmaniac »

The last book I read was, THE PRESIDENT IS MISSING by Bill Clinton and James Patterson. I’ve read several of Patterson’s books and enjoy his mysteries. The mystery here is why Clinton was brought into the process. Instead of insight, he could have shared, we really got a light weight, superficial story. The central character becomes Messiah-like, it’s all up to him and he is up for it in this simplistic book. I guess I was just expecting a lot more.
Juliar252
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliar252.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Juliar252 »

I just finished "The Time Keeper" by Mitch Albom. It was a quick, insightful read and I really enjoyed it, so I give it 4/4 stars.
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

The last book I read was 'Office of the dead' by Andrew Taylor. It took me 1.5 weeks to get through, but I really enjoyed it. 5/5
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

Law and Disorder by John Douglas - a retired FBI profiler analyses the role of the American justice system in its handling of criminals. He focuses on the death penalty, wrongful convictions and other miscarriages of justice and analyzes in depth the Amanda Knox/Meredith Kercher case in Italy. A most informative and enlightening read for anyone interested in True Crime.
AndrewAlsup
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AndrewAlsup »

Sam3927 wrote: 30 May 2018, 15:36 Last book I read was There and Back There Again
by Andrew Alsup. A superb read and it's gets 10/10 from me.
Thank you Sam! I love it when a reader gets what I’m writing. I hope many more do too.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”