What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
OpinionatedEducator
Currently Reading: Pachinko
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-opinionatededucator.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by OpinionatedEducator »

Recently finished The Paper Magician series. I liked it, but I think the first one was probably my favorite.
YaileneV2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by YaileneV2 »

The last book I read was Lord of Shadows by Cassandra Clare.
I completely and utterly love Cassandra's writing, so this book was no exception the storyline and characters made me fall even more with this trilogy.
My rating was 9/10
Adesola2019
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Adesola2019 »

The last book I read was the forcado high school ,the book is about jimi and his family
I rate the book 5.5
binghams04
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by binghams04 »

Last book I read was Shifted. I gave it 3 out of 4 stars. It was a fantasy book at mermaids, phoenixes, and other creatures thought of as mythological. Enjoyed it.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

The Snow Kimono by Mark Henshaw was one of those books that had me absolutely riveted from the beginning, fascinated as to how it would all come together.

Beginning with a French Police Inspector, Auguste Jouvert, recently retired, who has just received a letter from a woman claiming to be his daughter, the result of an affair he had in Algiers some 30 years earlier, the plot takes a sudden and unexpected diversion.

A Japanese man is waiting outside Jouvert's apartment one evening. After some awkward introductions, the Japanese man, Tadashi Omura, begins to tell Jouvert a complex story, set in Osaka and other parts of Japan, about his friend, Katsuo Ikeda, and various women and children they have both known.

As this fascinating tale is revealed by Omura in a series of conversations, moving backward and forwards in time, gradually revealing details that tie events together, Jouvert's own story and the letter from the woman claiming to be his daughter are consigned to the background, seemingly forgotten.

Henshaw has cleverly managed the threads of these twin stories, linked by Omura and Jouvert, that seemingly have nothing to do with each other.

The writing is mostly simple, using brief sentences and clipped dialogue, although it occasionally transforms into a more evocative, descriptive style, especially in relation to the Japanese physical environment.

The novel reads like a mystery, always teasing a little, knowing there is more than meets the eyes in the tale of Katsuo Ikeda, until the threads coalesce eventually into a sad, somewhat degenerate conclusion.

The Snow Kimono is highly recommended - 4.5 stars out of 5.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

"Who Told You That You Were Naked" by Combs. I awarded the book 4 out of 4 stars rating.
spellbindingstories
Currently Reading: Across the Universe (Across the Universe #1)
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by spellbindingstories »

The last book I read was The Wicked King by Holly Black. I gave it 5/5 stars! Its a sequel so I don't think I can say much about it without giving something away but, if you like political drama and the fae, definitely check out The Folk of the Air series by Holly Black!
Delightsome
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delightsome.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Delightsome »

Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William E. Comb
I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is very inspiring. I recommend it.
Lisbesori
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Lisbesori »

The last book I have read is the Kane chronicles, specifically the second book which is the throne of fire by Rick Riordan. At the beginning, It was a little difficult to start reading about Egyptian mythology but then It was fantastic. The history, the way he connect every single thing, even places, with the historical mythology that has survived until our days it was simply mind blowing, I really enjoyed these books!
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

As with any V S Naipaul book, whether fiction or non-fiction, The Enigma of Arrival is elegant and impressive to read.

Presented more as an autobiography or memoir than a novel, which it purports to be, it tracks the real life journey of the young Naipaul who left his native Trinidad as an 18 year old, travelling to Europe and then settling in England, seeking experience, knowledge and subjects worth writing about.

Much of the novel is set in a rural estate in Salisbury, not far from Stonehenge, where the author has established himself in a rented cottage to set about his writing. The early part of the novel is idyllic, as Naipaul records his daily walks around the property, describing the local flora and fauna, the changing of the seasons, and the patterns and vagaries of the English weather, so different from his native Trinidad.

Eventually, he introduces more human characters into the narrative (are they real or invented people?), such as the property owner, caretakers, gardeners and other visitors to the estate.

The pace of the novel is steady and easy, never urgent or rushed, giving a sense of the mostly peaceful and contented writer's life Naipaul enjoyed while living in this location. Despite the elegance and beauty of the written words on the page, one could have wished for a little more action and variety.

3.5, not quite 4 stars out of 5.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
vanessaa22
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by vanessaa22 »

Last book i read was I Wonder, I personally give it 4/5 stars.

A super touching book and gives you an idea of how people with disorders really feel and how they notice things you might not think they do, and also gives you a look on how everyone around them feels about it. Both the movie and book were great, I recommend the book. :techie-studyinggray:
dublinkmy6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dublinkmy6.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by dublinkmy6 »

last read manifesto for a cancer patient by Colleen Huber, NMD. I gave it a four out of four rating.
dublinkmy6
Currently Reading:

Post by dublinkmy6 »

vanessaa22 wrote: 17 Jan 2019, 01:01 Last book i read was I Wonder, I personally give it 4/5 stars.

A super touching book and gives you an idea of how people with disorders really feel and how they notice things you might not think they do, and also gives you a look on how everyone around them feels about it. Both the movie and book were great, I recommend the book. :techie-studyinggray:
To what category of people would you recommend the book?
dublinkmy6
Currently Reading:

Post by dublinkmy6 »

Adesola2019 wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 11:40 The last book I read was the forcado high school ,the book is about jimi and his family
I rate the book 5.5
was it an over ten rating or over four?
Gary Webster
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Gary Webster »

My last book read was Grant by Ron Chernow. It is the BEST book I have ever read, given to me for Christmas by my son-in-law. I have recommended it to my book club and friends. The author is extremely qualified as he also wrote Washington and Hamilton. His use of adjectives is enormous and his style of writing is easy to read, but you do not want to miss a word. The book is just shy of 1,000 pages but well worth the time because you will not want to put it down until finished. I do not yet know your rating scale as a brand new member, but it Grant rates the highest rating. 8) 8)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”