What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Jenmom87
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Jenmom87 »

The last book I read was SnowWhite and The Huntsman by Lily Blake. This book was very exciting and full of a love story, as well as the need for the rightful heir to return to the throne and heal the land. I give it 5stars.SnowWhite and The Huntsmanis a short and sweet read for sure. :techie-reference:
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Devil's Dream by Madison Smartt Bell, which is a fictionalized account of General Bedford Forrest, slave owner, Confederate soldier and leader in the American Civil War, was a fair but generally disjointed account of the life of a heroic but conflicted man of his time.

I actually found the brief chronological account of this man's life at the end of the novel more interesting and informative than the main novel.

It is clear that Bell had accumulated a massive amount of research about Forrest, including his life before, during and after the war, but then struggled to present it in a coherent narrative. The structure of the novel was frustrating, jumping around in time to no apparent benefit.

Having read in the appendix of Forrest's life after the war, his role in the Ku Klux Klan and his business endeavours in railroad building etc., I would have preferred to have had more of this man in the story and the less of descriptions of war skirmishes and the number of horses that Forrest had shot from under him.

Just a fair attempt, full of missed opportunities to better understand a complex and potentially fascinating character.

3 stars out of 5.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea nearly as much as I did Jules Verne's Journey To the Centre of the Earth.

It relates the story of the Nautilus, a submarine vessel, commanded by the enigmatic, driven and slightly mad Captain Nemo, roaming the world's oceans without end. The book's subtitle is 'An Underwater Tour of the World'.

While there is a certain amount of action adventure, and the descriptions of the world beneath the oceans must have been fascinating to reader in 1869, much of it is tedious and reads more like a science text book. The endless descriptions of fish and other creatures of the sea, and their formal scientific classifications, detracted significantly from the adventure story.

In between certain adventures, including becoming entrapped in an iceberg at the South Pole, and an underwater walk through the lost city of Atlantis, nothing much happens. Ned Land is persistent in his desire and planning to escape, and Aronnax is mostly content to continue for as long as possible his scientific observations and writing his journals. Conseil is happy to do whatever his master desires.

The ending, when it comes, is abrupt, implausible and completely unsatisfying. Verne, it seems, just ran out of ideas.

3.5 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
gabbyparker5100
Currently Reading: Star Wars
Bookshelf Size: 52

Post by gabbyparker5100 »

I most recently reread Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling. That book will always be 5/5 stars for me. It's so well written and even after many times of reading the book I never get tired of it.
mrsnowwhite
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mrsnowwhite »

It was And then there were none by Agatha Christie. It was 4.5/5. The story kept the reader applaud in the end . And the twist in the tale was nerve wrecking.
Nathi_Enoch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathi-enoch.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Nathi_Enoch »

The last book I read was "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole. It was very interesting and I gave it 3 out of 4 stars. :D
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Brutal Valour was the last book that I read and I rated it as a 3. It was a great historical novel on a topic which is dear to my heart. However, it did get quite heavy with historical content.
shalom113
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by shalom113 »

I just read " The Color of Water" by James McBride. I rate it 5 out of 5 stars. It is by far, the best book I have ever read. It is a black man's tribute to his white mother. It touches on race, and religion and gave me some great insight. Hats off!! :tiphat:
sammylamuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammylamuel.html
Latest Review: Unbalanced by Courtney Shepard

Post by sammylamuel »

I last read Think and Grow Rich ,it's a very informative book captivating as well
Bookclub2018+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookclub2018.html

Post by Bookclub2018+ »

I just read Her Every Fear by Peter Swanson. Fiction,Thriller, Suspense. This was a great read. The type of book you can't put down because it involved so many interesting characters. From stalking to murder to protecting who is doing what? 4/5 stars.
readingnow93
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by readingnow93 »

The last book I read was Between Two Worlds by Tyler Henry. I give it 4/5 stars because I enjoyed reading about his experience as a medium since a very young age. It was enlightening. However, I would have enjoyed a better ending. The book ended abruptly and I was looking forward to knowing what his next plan was as a celebrity psychic, but he, too, was still trying to figure it out as well. He’s the youngest medium I know of so far, and he’s definitely filled with insight.
MacAttack
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by MacAttack »

The last book I read was Of Enemies and Endings by Shelby Bach. I give it a four star rating. The story itself has a good style, and all, but it wasn't how I expected it to end.
Not_half_so_happy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-not-half-so-happy.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Not_half_so_happy »

I have just finished Raven's peak by Lincoln Cole. And sadly I had to rate it as a 2 out of 4 stars due to the massive amount of spelling errors and plot holes.
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Boypnet1
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Boypnet1 »

Just about to end The Scarlet letter by Hawthrone Nathaniel
Whippet
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whippet.html
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Whippet »

thelittlelibrary wrote: 17 Dec 2017, 06:24 The last book I read was Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (reread) and it was amazing as it always is. Five stars every time
So nice to see this one get some recognition. A lot of people criticised it for being too long and cumbersome but I loved it for that reason, it was the first one in the series that truly opened HP up in terms of all its mystery, and the gravity of the story became so much heavier. Rowling showed her talent best in this book!
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”