What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by P0tt3ry »

God Versus the Idea of God
2/4 stars because it meandered all over the place but had some solid ideas and observations.
Alex Hughes
Currently Reading: To stir a fae's passion
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-hughes.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Alex Hughes »

The last book i read was becoming the dragon by alex sapegin. Its a great and interesting book. I give it 4 out of 5 stars.
sis_riehle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sis-riehle.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by sis_riehle »

The last book I read was the final of a 12 book series called the Gaurdians of Eternity series. The book is by Alaexandra Ivy titled When Darkness Ends. A romance/fantasy title with all my favorites! Vampires, werewolves, demons, etc. Such a fantastic series, highly recommend it to anyone who loves fantasy and romance, and I would give it a 5 out of 5 rating for sure!
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

The last book I read was God versus The Idea of God by Thomas Harry Richard , I gave it 3 out of 4 stars.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

I just recently completed 'Unbalanced' by Courney Shephard and gave it 3 out 4 stars.
ccrews0408
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccrews0408.html
Latest Review: From Hill Town to Strieby by Margo Lee Williams

Post by ccrews0408 »

Let It Show by Randy Boucher. Rated 2/4 due horrible editing...
AtomMud
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by AtomMud »

Neuromancer by William Gibson 10/10
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

I read Final Notice by Van Fleisher and gave it a 4/4. I personally enjoyed reading it. I also got informed about many issues we face in our society today and this made realize that watching news is important.
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.
Aphroditelaughs
Currently Reading: The new wild
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aphroditelaughs.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Aphroditelaughs »

Fran wrote: 17 Nov 2015, 06:42 The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro
A fantasy novel set in Post Roman England, where Saxon and Britain are in conflict, has been likened to Tolkien and indeed it does feature an element of a mysterious "quest" and a medieval knight. A very enjoyable and entertaining read with gripping characters.
A really enjoyable read 3/4*

This book is amazing. I was not prepared for this story. The idea of memory and whether it is better to remember the truth or not. Beautiful.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Regeneration by Pat Barker is an intricate entanglement of fact and fiction that makes an authentic and engaging contribution to the subject of trench warfare and, in particular, its human aftermath. It is the first in a trilogy of books.

Dr W H R Rivers treats soldiers returning from the front in France who have 'shell shock', the term once used for what is now more commonly referred to as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). One of Rivers' patients is Siegfried Sassoon, the well-known 'war poet', whose pacifism and public objections to the war are as noteworthy as his poetry.

Sassoon, and Rivers, also formed close relationships with another well-known poet, Wilfred Owen and the author Robert Graves in the hospital at Craiglockart where the mentally fractured were being treated. The interplay between these characters highlights the well-meaning intentions but apparent uncertainty of Rivers, who is trying his best to deal with a complex medical problem about which little was actually known in 1917.

It provides a contrast between the relatively gentle psychoanalytic methods of Rivers and the brutal, bordering on sadistic, methods of Dr Lewis Yealland, who persisted in using electric shock therapy to 'cure' patients.

We are also able to contrast the attitudes of individuals about returning to front line action once they have been deemed medically sound to do so. Some are keen to return, and others most decidedly anted nothing further to do with the war.

This is a really well-written and insightful novel about an aspect of war that is often overlooked. There are only a few descriptions of the actual conditions in the trenches, most them appalling and sickening, but this novel deals sensitively and insightfully with the often unspoken issue of the mental havoc that war creates in addition to death and physical ruin.

A solid 4 stars out of 5.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Liz_Wright
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liz-wright.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Liz_Wright »

I finished Girls Burn Brighter by Shobha Rao yesterday. It took me longer than most books to read because I couldn't get into it at the beginning. Towards the middle I felt more connected to the characters and wanted to finish to see what happened to them. I would rate it 3/5 - while it was well-written and the characters were described well, I didn't feel much of a connection with them. I got the book because it was on a list of upcoming female authors.
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

Sigfried's Smelly Socks, 4 out of 4! :)
ahegarty
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ahegarty »

The last book I read was called The Boat People by Sharon Bala. It was a great, very topical book about a boat of refugees arriving in Canada and getting thrown in prison. I gave it a 4/5 stars as the story was gripping, it raised a lot of really important moral questions (and dealt with them well), and had great character development. Would recommend for sure!
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmteachmom.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Jmteachmom »

I just finished Gates of Tangier. I gave it a 1 out of 4 stars. This book was a huge let down.
Lizzie3
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzie3.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by Lizzie3 »

I read My Trip To Adele by Ahmad & Rana Alyaseer and rated it 3/4 stars.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”