What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Redlegs »

I really can't remember the last time a book made me so continuously angry, for the whole damn 750+ pages!

A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn has been around a while, so it doesn't include any Presidents from this century, but it does cover the period from 1492 to the late 1990s, into Bill Clinton's Presidency.

This book provides an alternative record of American history, a "peoples" history, which is not the version taught in schools, and is therefore not widely known to most people with a passing knowledge of American history, its key events and prominent characters.

This is the story of oppression, degradation, institutionalized suppression to the point of mass slaughter and even genocide of the American population, with the aim of preserving an progressing the capitalist aims and ideals of the rich and powerful at the expense of general citizens.

It wasn't until the major mass movement uprisings of the 1960s and 1970s, with protests against the Vietnam War, black rights, gay rights, women's rights and even a revival of native American protest, that any real concessions toward a genuine democracy were achieved. The protests were so large and vehement they couldn't be ignored.

If you want to understand America today, read this book. It shows that Trump is not an aberration oj substance, just a minor diversion in style. It should be compulsory reading for every young American student, and it makes fascinating and enlightening reading for non-Americans who are interested in understanding the so-called most powerful nation on earth.

5 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Sabina G
Currently Reading: The Scarpetta Factor
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabina-g.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Sabina G »

The Scarpetta Factor by Patricia Cornwell 5/5.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Marie Kala
Currently Reading: The Mirror Thief
Bookshelf Size: 69

Post by Marie Kala »

The last book I read was This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab. I would probably rate it 3.8/5. It was a cool book with interesting characters, but the ending seemed to leave some things left unsaid.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Finally finished American Gods, which I'd give 3.5/5. I mostly read it whilst traveling. I'll write up my thoughts soon. The idea is very clever and there is a good bunch of characters. The description is well done and the storytelling quirky and funny at times. I felt it was bit too trippy and I have mixed feelings about the end.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Abayomi2060
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abayomi2060.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Abayomi2060 »

McDowell by William H. Coles. I rated it 3 out of 4 stars
Ana Njeri
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-njeri.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Ana Njeri »

My last book was escape by Belle Ami. I gave it a rating of 4/4. For a new author, writing in a field like romance, I felt Belle Ami the author, had truly done a great job.
A ship is safe in the harbor but that's not what ships are for. So be the person outside the box, get out of your comfort zone, that's the person you want to be.
alwaysdaddygirl
Currently Reading: The Alienation of Courtney Hoffman
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysdaddygirl.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01DAJTINW

Post by alwaysdaddygirl »

One of the last books I read was Descendant: The Revelations of Oriceran (The Kacy Chronicles Book 1) by A. L. Knorr and Martha Carr

This book is the first in a series entitled Descendant, by A.L. Knorr and Martha Carr, and it hooks you from the start. The story is beautiful. Jordan's mother disappeared when Jordan was a child. Years later, not long after Jordan earns her masters, she is given something that sends her on a long quest. I was with her all the way, unable to put the book down. My only issue is the cliffhanger ending, which left me with the sense that the thrilling final scene was missing a few pages. Nevertheless, I give this book four stars, because of its captivating story and the touching father-daughter bond at the heart of the narrative. I am craving the follow-up.
??
"Death ends a life, not a relationship."
Mitch Albom
🦋
IanYanny
Currently Reading: The Lovely Bones
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ianyanny.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by IanYanny »

The last book I read was Life Before by K.L. Romo and I gave it a rating of 3/4. I am actually in the middle of The Other Queen by Philippa Gregory.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Leonidas Ndeta
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonidas-ndeta.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by Leonidas Ndeta »

Escape by Belle Ami and I rated it 3 out of 4 stars. It is a good Romance thriller book to read
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

God Help the Child by Toni Morrison
Brilliant read on the incidious nature of racism and the damage children carry into adulthood.
Can't recommend it highly enough 4/4*
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

My Trip to Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A.I.Alyaseer. I rated it 4 out of 4 stars. It was well written and very entertaining.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Just today, I finished reading - and reviewing - Blood Moon Over Africa and I rated it 3/4 due to grammatical errors, but as far as content, it was a 10.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

The last book I read was the Jewish FBI Agent. I gave this 4 out of 4 stars. However the publishers seem to most reticent in paying me for it, so I regret reading it now.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Redlegs
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

First published in 1918, My Antonia by Willa Cather is one of a trilogy of her novels featuring the wide plains of Nebraska, that were the world of her own childhood.

My Antonia is based on a real girl from Cather's childhood, Anna Sadikek Paveka, but is narrated in the novel from the perspective of Jim Burden, a fictional childhood friend who developed a deep affection for Antonia. The story is told retrospectively by a middle-aged Jim.

Antonia Shimerda is the young daughter of Bohemian (Czech) migrants, one family of a significant wave of European and Scandinavian migrants that flooded to America in the latter part of the 19th century.

Antonia, was a pretty, stoic and determined girl in a poor family that struggled to raise themselves above poverty. Jim, living with his grandparents after the death of his own parents, befriended Antonia and her family from a young age, and developed an innocent affection for her as well as helping her to learn English and adjust to the ways of her new country.

As Jim reminisces on his childhood and adolescent memories of Antonia and life in Black Hawk, Nebraska, we are introduced to many of the characters that make up this nascent community, including several other migrant families, and especially Antonia's female friends. Lena Lingard, the seemingly flirtatious Swedish girl, whose personality and demeanour are in stark contrast to the more earnest and chaste Antonia, plays a significant role in the narrative.

In many ways, this is a pastoral novel, as Cather effuses eloquently on her deep love for the expanses of the Nebraska prairie, portraying the harsh depths of snow-bound winters, the extreme heat of long dry simmers and the lush bounties of spring, full of wheat and corn and cows.

I found this to be a very engaging, completely charming novel that I enjoyed even more than her later 1923 Pulitzer Prize winning novel, One of Ours.

4.5 stars out of 5.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Oliver Ekaso
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oliver-ekaso.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Oliver Ekaso »

Daily Alice wrote:I just finished Jack of Kinrowan by Charles De Lint. I give it 4/5 stars.

Fun, fast-paced reading for those who love urban fantasy.
Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann. Rated it 4/4
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”