What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
HaTsundereMiku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hatsunderemiku.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by HaTsundereMiku »

The last book I read was Final Notice by Van Fleisher. It was a truly amazing book. I think I finished it in just under 8 hours. I rate it 5 out of 5 stars.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell was one hell of a clever novel, not what I was expecting and unlike anything I have read previously.

Cloud Atlas is six stories in one, each slightly connected to the next, moving forward in time from the early 19th century through to a futuristic society, that then retraces itself to close the loop on each of the episodes.

David Mitchell has demonstrated a marvellous dexterity in his writing, as each of the stories is written in a completely different, style, voice and language, with a range of diverse characters and locations.

Each of the stories, told in two parts as the novel moves forward in time and then reverses, is fascinating in its own right. By presenting it the way he has, Mitchell takes the reader on a journey that is sometimes mystifying, always engaging, maintaining a pace that demands you read a few pages more each time.

This is the work of a creative master of his craft, whose imagination and skills with language are to be very much admired.

5 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
bear_6743
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rheanna11.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by bear_6743 »

I have just read Devilish by T.L. Barr and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. If you like the supernatural and romance this is definitely the book for you. The beginning is a little odd but once you get past that it is an interesting read. Warning though it is very sexually explicit.
Jessica Joy Terrado
Currently Reading: Purgatory's Angel
Bookshelf Size: 56

Post by Jessica Joy Terrado »

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. I would give it a 5 out of 5 rating. The narrative and description is so good. I feel as if I really am in that scene. I remember from the very first few chapters where the lady character was stuck in traffic and she describes the interior of the car, I feel immersed in it. My mind did not wander throughout the whole reading of the book. I highly recommend it.
juliamenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliamenez.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by juliamenez »

I just read "My Author is Dead" and it was fantastic! I wish I could have given it 10/4 stars!
Isaiah Lokeno
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Isaiah Lokeno »

The last book I read is "World, Incorporated" by Agent Sliver It is a science fiction book with a very interesting aspect like contemporary and crucial themes that is brought up in the story.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht, a Serbian-American writer, won the Orange Prize for fiction in 2011.

Set in a fictional location within the former Yugoslavia, it is a tale that covers a period spanning two wars that have defined the Balkans region - WWII and the more recent ethno-religious conflict that ultimately formed the countries of the region that now exist.

The story is narrated by Natalia, a doctor supporting local orphanages, whose grandfather, also a doctor, knew both the tiger's wife in his youth and the deathless man in his young adulthood.

The tiger of the story is one who escaped from a local zoo during a German bombing raid in 1941 and made his way to the Balkan village of Galina.

The tiger' wife is the young deaf-mute wife of the local butcher, a brutal and fearsome man. The local legend was that this young woman developed a special affinity with the escaped tiger, to the point of being able to hand feed it and even sleep curled up against it.

The deathless man, another of the magical realist aspects of the story, is a roaming vagabond that Natalia's grandfather encounters in several situations, who claims to have been made immortal and sets out to prove that assertion.

The narrative moves back and forth in time, as Natalia relates her grandfather's stories in small snippets, as he has related them to her over her childhood. It is clear that Natalia and her grandfather have a very special affection for each other.

The writing is completely beautiful and haunting, moving from the current reality to past events, often evoking a kind of mystical or fairy tale atmosphere. The Tiger's Wife is something of an ode of love to Obreht's former homeland, its village life and it range of colorful characters.

I found this to be a surprisingly enjoyable read, mainly because of the evocative and lyrical writing style. 4 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Rojinrena
Favorite Book: On the Island (On the Island, #1)
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rojinrena.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rojinrena »

The good girl by Mary Kubica

I would give a 4.5 out of 5

The events in the book is viewed through the eyes of the different characters in two different timelines.

It’s confusing in the beginning but it gets you hooked once you get the hang of it!

Wholeheartedly recommend it!
mozamiller
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 82696">The Murder House</a>
Currently Reading: Golden Prey
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozamiller.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by mozamiller »

I read Killer Chef by James Patterson and Jeffrey J. Keyes. It is one of his bookshots that you can sit down in an afternoon with a cup of tea and some teacake in your favorite corner and finish in a couple hours. I have to give it 4.5/5 stars. This is one of the best bookshots he's written if you have to pick just one. Every time you think you have figured out the murderer, there is another twist in the plot. If you need a quick fix for a thriller in the afternoon, this is the perfect little book.
juliamenez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliamenez.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by juliamenez »

I just read Mistress Suffragette and will write up the review shortly. I'll be giving this book 4/4 stars.
Magic_Beans
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pavithra92.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Magic_Beans »

The last book i read was Invisible Me by H.M Irwing it is a romantic tale with a twist of fantasy. I rated the book 2/4 because there were too many grammatical errors in the book.
zarah_
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zarah.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by zarah_ »

The last book I read was The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson. I was at a low place in my life when I decided to give this book a try. Very entertaining and enlightening. It could easily be read in one sitting but because I wasn't in the right state of mind, it did take a while to complete. Even though the author and I may not have gone through the same things, his anecdotes were still relate-able. I've recommended this to other friends as well and they've enjoyed it, too, and I'd rate it a 4/4.
BookishLamb
Currently Reading: The Easter Make Believers
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishlamb.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by BookishLamb »

Final Notice: What would you do if you knew – for certain – that you had 10 days to live by Van Fleisher 5/5

Interesting read that uses current events to show just how America is running. Kept me really interested.
hiba_4_
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hiba_4_ »

PS I LOVE YOU by Cecelia Ahern
I'll rate it 5/5

This book is totally worth reading. It gives you a lot of motivation to move on in your life when things are not going exactly how you want them to be. I liked how this book taught me that losing a person you love doesn't means that the world has come to an end . You have to get your sh*t together and move on . Focus on what you have and what you can do in the future instead of holding on to the past.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings. I rated it 4/4 stars. It's both funny and sad with great character insights. Heads up-it may make you cry!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”