What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Julie Green »

I just read The Devil Take Tomorrow by Gretchen Jeannette. A great read - historical fiction set in the time of the American War of Independence, with a strong dose of romance. I know very little about US history but this story has sparked my interest. I loved this book and I gave it 4 out of 4 stars.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I just finished The Girl Who Knew da Vinci which was a great book I rated it 4 out of 4. But I an having issues writing a review for it.
Chelsea N. Hackett
jay maina k
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jay maina k »

The last book that i just finished reading is ACROSS THE BRIDGE . I give it 4/5 stars. I give it the high four stars because i find it so entertaining. For really emotional people it keeps you totally engrosed. I deny it 5/5 because a very witty ready and a critical one will realise the intented and irelevant coincidences.
schmaltzsara
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by schmaltzsara »

I just finished reading the book “The Girl On The Train”. I would give this book a 5 out of 5. There was never a point throughout the book that I was not interested. I really enjoyed the mystery and excitement this book gave me.
kjs237
Currently Reading: Sleeping Beauties
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjs237.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by kjs237 »

I just finished re-reading The Handmaids Tale. I'd read it years ago, and because I love the new Hulu series, decided to revisit the book to see if it was following the series. I didn't really like the book the first time I read it but could not remember why. Now I remember that it was great until the epilogue, which seemed totally disjointed and unnecessary. It answered no questions and didn't bring the story to a conclusion in any meaningful way.
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

xaldovah wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 02:53 The last book I read was And then I met Margaret and I rated it 3 out of 4 stars
I was considering reading this book, but I have been on the fence about it. Would you recommend it?
elivia05
Currently Reading:

Post by elivia05 »

kjs237 wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 21:36 I just finished re-reading The Handmaids Tale. I'd read it years ago, and because I love the new Hulu series, decided to revisit the book to see if it was following the series. I didn't really like the book the first time I read it but could not remember why. Now I remember that it was great until the epilogue, which seemed totally disjointed and unnecessary. It answered no questions and didn't bring the story to a conclusion in any meaningful way.
I absolutely hate when books add an epilogue that bring practically nothing of importance to the book. I did love the Hulu series as well.
elivia05
Currently Reading:

Post by elivia05 »

chelhack wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 16:13 I just finished The Girl Who Knew da Vinci which was a great book I rated it 4 out of 4. But I an having issues writing a review for it.
I have been on the fence about reading this book. Would you recommend it?
elivia05
Currently Reading:

Post by elivia05 »

solanaphillip800 wrote: 30 May 2018, 00:21 diary of a snoopy cat i gave it a 4 out of 4 stars
Would you recommend this book? I was considering reading it, but I am worried that it will be difficult to review.
elivia05
Currently Reading:

Post by elivia05 »

Samantha Lieberman wrote: 25 May 2018, 11:55 The last book I read was one I just reviewed today. It is called Yesterday by Samyann. I gave this a 3 out of 4. All time travel books can get a little confusing.
The time travel aspect of this book is what makes it somewhat off-putting to me. Everyone raves about The Time Traveler's Wife, but the time travel aspect was very muddled. It has made me turn away most time travel books to this day.
elivia05
Currently Reading:

Post by elivia05 »

Samantha Lieberman wrote: 25 May 2018, 11:55 The last book I read was one I just reviewed today. It is called Yesterday by Samyann. I gave this a 3 out of 4. All time travel books can get a little confusing.
The time travel aspect of this book is what makes it somewhat off-putting to me. Everyone raves about The Time Traveler's Wife, but the time travel aspect was very muddled. It has made me turn away most time travel books to this day.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I just finished reading A Second, Less Capable, Head by James Hanna and gave it 3 out of 4 stars. I thought the stories were great, but there were some mechanical problems that distracted me a bit. It's a collection of short stories. And though I usually prefer long novels to short stories, this stories provided a delightful side trip to the dark side.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

The last book I read was My Trip to Adele. I gave it a 3 out of 4 stars because it was classified as a romance and I found no such thing as I read the book. Over all it was great read as I finished reading it within a day.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester was first published in 1953, and is a relatively short, competent, intelligent and fascinating look into a future world where many people have the ability to read minds, a form of ESP. These people, known as peepers, have skills to a range of abilities, and those with the most advanced skills are often used in official positions, such as police investigators.

So, committing a murder, in an environment where people can read your intentions in advance, becomes an even more difficult challenge.

At its core, the plot is about corporate greed, avarice and the desire for total power, and this is what drives Ben Reich, already a powerful businessman, to want to murder his key rival, Craye D'Courtney.

Despite the obvious impediments to Reich's plan, the murder is completed successfully quite early in the novel. The remainder of the tale revolves around the investigation, led by the driven and determined police prefect, Lincoln Powell, a first class peeper, who is convinced of Reich's guilt and is committed to bring him to justice.

The punishment for the guilty is Demolition, a concept that I will leave unexplained here.

I wouldn't rate this as a great novel, but it is enjoyable, with a few interesting twists and plot diversions (the murdered man's daughter Barbara has a key role), and it kept me quite engaged throughout.

4 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Hallsword
Favorite Book: The 11.05 Murders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hallsword.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Hallsword »

My son gave me a book of his own choosing as a gift. It is not a genre I would read on my own but how could I not check it out since it was a gift. The book is Eragon by Christopher Paolini. He said all his friends had been reading it and heard it was good.

It is a good v. evil fantasy book with dragons, elves and dwarves. Normally I don't read this genre because of the made up settings and names of characters that seem so hard to figure out pronunciation making the story difficult to flow in my mind. I was please this book was not that way. It was a good one to step out of the comfort zone and I would read the other books in this series. I'd give it 3 out of 4 stars.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”