What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

The last book that I finished was The Perfumer's Secret by Adria J. Cimino. It was a great book and I give it 4/4 stars.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black. 4 out of 5 stars. I love the chemistry between the characters and that the characters aren't just good or just bad. Every character is interesting. Would recommend.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

I am currently reading the second book in the Vault of Dreamers trilogy by Caragh M. O'Brien. I absolutely loved the first and love the second just as much, now that I'm almost done with it. I would definitely rate them a good 5 out of 5 stars and recommend them for anyone who likes slightly fantastical realism.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Despite ranking The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing at 4 stars out of 5, there was plenty about it that annoyed me. For a start, it was too long and became repetitious in both theme and detail. But mostly, I was frustrated by the character of Anna Wulf, and her alter ego, Ella, and her/their self-destructive relationships with men. But, of course, that comes down to Lessing's skill as an author in portraying the life of an independent, yet fragile, young woman in 1950s London.

Anna Wulf is an author with one successful novel behind her, from which she still earns a reasonable income, but who suffers from writers' block, preventing the emergence of a second novel. Anna decides to comparmentalise her life, using different coloured notebooks to depict her past life in Africa, an imaginary life (Ella), her political views and the humdrum minutiae of her daily life and relationships.

Anna is on a path towards breakdown, and only her relationships with her daughter Janet and friend Molly seems to provide some stability and normality in an otherwise chaotic existence.

Lessing apparently rejects that she has written a feminist novel with The Golden Notebook, but she vividly conveys the ruthless indifference of men and the seemingly intelligent women who accept this behaviour, knowing that there must be something better but not knowing just how to attain it. Lessing seems to imply that women are their own worst foes.

This is also a novel of politics, with a focus on the Cold War communist sentiments in Britain and America, and the faddishness of left wing political activity.

This is complex novel of ideas, because of its structure and multiple viewpoints and its frustrating characters, all of whom are deeply flawed and mostly unlikable, but it is rewarding for the excellence of Lessing's writing and ability to convey an overarching mood that is simultaneously despairing and hopeful.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
B00Radley
Currently Reading: Serpents in the Cold
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by B00Radley »

Finished The Dinner,by Herman Koch last night. Wanted to reread it immediately. 5 stars.
Andie-j
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andie-j.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Andie-j »

Let's Talk About Love by Claire Kann. I gave it 4 stars because it was a very enjoyable and unique read since the main character is asexual.
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

The Knowing by Sarah Elmore
5/5 rating and not given lightly!

This book has a perfect 5 stars on amazon and pulls you in from the first chapter to the last, i loved EVERY minute of it !
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I just finished The Family Next Door by Sally Hepworth. I finished it just minutes ago. I would give it 3 stars of 4. It was okay, but nothing extremely out of the ordinary. I am always looking for unique gems.
Yicheng Liu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yicheng-liu.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Yicheng Liu »

The last book I finished was The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

I just finished "Deadly Focus" by Sue Hinkin I gave it a 3.
mhudson
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mhudson »

I most recently read Harry Potter: The Chamber of Secrets. I love how Rowling captivates her audience, regardless of age, throughout the entire novel. Having never been interested in Harry Potter - or fiction in general - I was pleasantly surprised to find this novel undoubtedly entertaining. I look forward to promptly completing this beautifully written series.
Rating: 10/10
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmteachmom.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Jmteachmom »

I just finished "America's First Daughter" by Stephanie Dray and Laura Komie. This is the story of Thomas Jefferson from the perspective of his eldest daughter Martha Jefferson. The plot is based upon letters written and received by Thomas Jefferson. Would definitely recommend this one for any history lover. Written beautifully and concise.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

There was once a time when I might have enjoyed The Kill Artist by Daniel Silva, but my reading tastes have long since taken a different direction.

There were more cliches in this book that in a post-match interview with a footy coach. The writing was machine gun staccato - one short sentence piled on another and another and another.

The characters were mere caricatures, bearing little resemblance to real human beings, and the dialogue was laughable. The plot was more fantastical than anything involving dragons, elves and wizards, and had more holes than a pair of modern fashion jeans.

2 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

I actually read Superhighway by Alex Fayman. I even posted a review on it here. I really enjoyed it and rated it 4/4 stars, though there were some homonym errors that almost made it a 3/4. There were less than 4, though, so I felt that it deserved the higher rating. I recommend it, it's a pretty fun adventure (though a little tragic at times). Most of the time I was reading it it felt as if I was indulging in "when I become rich" fantasies.
Dan_A
Currently Reading: Be strong
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dan-a.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dan_A »

The last book I finish reading is Lady of Desire by Darcy Burke. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.
It's about a hidden treasure in a code found in an ancient book. Margery, the main character is a strong independent woman who speaks her mind. It's a contemporary romance novel

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”