What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by JuliaKay »

The last book that I completed reading and reviewed was Final Notice. It was a recent book of the month. I rated it with 3 out of 4 stars, mainly because of some spelling and punctuation errors.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Veerle
Currently Reading: Stoner
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veerle.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Veerle »

Hi, the last book I read was Boss Lady by Victoria Quinn. I loved it. Definitely 4 stars for me.
Omoye+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omoye.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Post by Omoye+ »

I just read who told you that you were naked some weeks ago though and I rate it 3 out of 4 stars
denizebookz
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-denizebookz.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by denizebookz »

I recently finished William Combs' book : Who told you that you were naked? A Refreshing Reexamination of the Garden of Eden. I rated it 4 of 4 points. It is an excellent book that is very well written.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

I have completed two books in the past few days.

Firstly, Le Grand Meaulnes by Alain-Fournier (Henri Alban Fournier), published in 1913 about a year before he was killed in action during WWI. It is his only novel, a gentle, sweet, dreamlike coming-of-age story, exploring the nature of beauty and first love. A joy to read - 4 stars out of 5.

Secondly, The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper, published in 1826. This is a frontier story with some historical basis, set during the time of the English-French wars in north eastern America. To its credit, it tries to give some weight to a native American Indian perspectives of events, despite Cooper having little first had knowledge of these peoples. On the downside, it is excessively verbose, especially in its dialogue, and some of the plot is a bit far-fetched. This was a bit less enjoyable, but I give it 3.5 stars out of 5.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Aisha I
Currently Reading: Dead Lock
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-i.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Aisha I »

The Ironbark Girl, I rated this book 4/4
Aisha I
Currently Reading: Dead Lock
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-i.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Aisha I »

***The ironbark Hill
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I just finished Young Jane Young by Gabrielle Zevin. I loved everything about this book - the writing style, strong characters, plot, subtle humor, and themes. In the beginning, I thought it was going to be a witty, chick lit-style novel. It turned out to be much more than that. 4 out of 4 stars
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Dtaverett
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dtaverett »

"Service, a navy seal at war", : by Marcus Luttrell: A great read about what our military elite go through when their boots are on the ground. Marcus's first book "lone survivor" was a great read as well but "Service" will take you behind the scenes of our great warriors with what goes on inside their group to help each other deal with death and injuries and the support of their families. Great read from a great warrior.
Dtaverett

Post by Dtaverett »

"The Ranger Way" by Kris "Tanto" Paronto, I was more confident after reading this book. I found that if your properly prepared you can commit to anything. Don't go into any situation unless you are committed and confident that you can succeed. Kris has walked the walk, so he can talk the talk. Since I live in Columbus, Georgia, Ft Benning is a big part of our daily life here and that's where Kris took his Ranger Training. I loved the movie "13 hours" where Kris and the other GRS warriors defended the American diplomatic compound in Benghazi. Great man and book to read.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I just finished the famous "The Catcher in the Rye" by J.D.Salinger and I will give it 3 out of 4 stars because it is a bit too violent for me.
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

Last book I read was 'the touch ' by robert Flynn. I gave it 2/4 stars. Unfortunately it fell a bit short. The author would make a great children's writer but his style didn't fit the more adult themes he covered. Such a shame. Such a different type of story
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

The last book I read was Superhighway by Alex Fayman, one of the members in here. I gave it four out of four stars.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
Katelynnhalliday

Post by Katelynnhalliday »

I recently read the unwind trilogies which I give a rating of 6/10
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown, first published in 1973, relates the story of Molly Bolt, who describes herself as a "devil-may-care lesbian", growing up in 1960s America.

It may have seemed a brave and enlightened topic at the time to present a tale (partly autobiographical, I understand) of a young woman, who had tried sex with boys, but decided she preferred the touch of another woman. It was also radical to present a feminist such as Molly, who had career ambitions, a fiercely independent streak and a determination to maintain a lifestyle that was dependent on no one and for which she refused to make apologies.

But the writing doesn't stand the test of time. In fact, the writing is awful! It is crass, cheap, simplistic in its plot, structure and characterisation. It contains little in the way of artistic merit. The author has played for cheap thrills, puerile humour, and one-dimensional, stereotypical characters.

This novel has apparently achieved something of a word-of-mouth cult status, but it must have been for its bold and brassy subject matter and not for the quality of what it had to say.

Even if LBGTQI literature is your thing (and I'm not against it in any way), this is one to give a wide berth. There is much better stuff out there.

2 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”