What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Redlegs »

Bleak House is not my favourite Charles Dickens novel, but that's not to say I didn't enjoy it.

It was a fairly typical Dickens tale in many respects, combining a detailed knowledge of various facets of London life in the mid 19th century, a range of fascinating characters from diverse social backgrounds, and an intriguing plot with several elements of mystery and suspense.

On the down side, I found the story a bit long and convoluted, and there were times I found the vast array of characters and their inter-relationships confusing. There were a few flat spots where the story seemed to drag, and some of the 'good' characters were unconvincing.

Dickens has written a relatively political novel with Bleak House, taking sharp satirical aim at the legal profession and the pomposity and inertia of the High Court. He reveals the devastating impact that the 'system' can have on the lives of ordinary folk, and how the legal profession simply eats away fortunes with its rampant fees and self-serving processes.

The story is told in two interwoven parts; one in the third person, describing events and actions of various characters, and the other in the first person, "Esther's Narrative", narrated by a key female character, Esther Summerson, which makes for an effective and interesting structure to relate a long and complex tale.

Not his best, but still an enjoyable, if lengthy, read. 4 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

The Guardian of Light- Debbie Joyce 4/5

Angels and Demons what more can I say.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

@Redlegs ... I think it was you recommended Fall On Your Knees sometime back, I finished it last night and it totally measured up to your recommendation. Thank you for a super read.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
ktom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktom.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by ktom »

I just finished reading My Trip to Adele by R.I and A.I Alyaseer and I am still reeling! It was very emotional for me, not because of the songs featured by Adele, but because of the powerful writing. I gave it 4 out of 4 stars!
"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea." - Henry James
ozydel
Currently Reading: How Children Succeed
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by ozydel »

I recently finished the first book in the Harry Potter series and I can't wait to start the next. 4.5/5
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

I Still Want Fireworks by Judith Hill, did an official review for Onlinebookclub as well. Was quite fun and original book. Gave it 3 out 4 stars. :)
Asen Stoyanchev
Favorite Book: Demon Freaks
Currently Reading: Sigrfried's Smelly Socks
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asen-stoyanchev.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Asen Stoyanchev »

I recently finished reading 'The Alienist' by Caleb Carr. I have to admit that it is quite gripping and masterfully crafted.
I started to watch the TV series but it is a far cry from the book.
The story is very interesting as it has a complicated mystery and the characters are memorable.
I would rate it 4 out of 4.
horntrey13-
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by horntrey13- »

I finished Percy jackson and the battle of the Labyrinth. A very good book nice continuation of story a good plot the villains are very complex, great hero development,leaves you wanting more for the next part of the series. Gives you deeper detail into both the heroes and villains and they reason why they act the way they do. One of the main characters finally opens herself up more and you get a deeper understanding of the reason he is evil. Then one of the heroes sacrifices himself so that the rest may live and complete their quest. So in my opinion worth the read if you like fantasy action.
Sorchadorcha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sorchadorcha.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sorchadorcha »

The last book I read was for a review. I read Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F Kristi and I gave it a rating of 4/4 stars.
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Fran wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 05:14 @Redlegs ... I think it was you recommended Fall On Your Knees sometime back, I finished it last night and it totally measured up to your recommendation. Thank you for a super read.
@Fran, I'm glad you enjoyed it, and good to hear from you again. I have missed your posts lately.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Ann McPherrin
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ann-mcpherrin.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Ann McPherrin »

The last book I read was Puffy and the Formidable Foe. It was a children’s book and I gave it a 4 star rating!
Emmanuel Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-michael.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by Emmanuel Michael »

The last book I read was 'And then I met Margaret' and I gave 3 out of 4 stars :tiphat:
gunnyswife
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnyswife.html
Latest Review: God Versus The Idea of God by Thomas Richard Harry

Post by gunnyswife »

Mine was The Elf Coup, hopefully you'll see it on the reviews page soon! Yadda yadda... Last one that I read that was simply to enjoy was called Seven Sexy Sins. I give it a 4/5, mostly for the fact that it's certainly not fit for sharing with kids (duh, the title says it, right?) but also because it's worth a read with the significant other. It alone, whatever floats your boat there.
It's amazing to see the world through the eyes of children. It's more fun to read with them, too.
azerikaj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azerikaj.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by azerikaj »

For reviewing, I will say thatThe 11:05 Murders is off to a promising start.
Last night, I finished a book called "The Chaperone" by Laura Moriarty...it was about a woman who helped a teenaged Louise Brooks get to dance tryouts in NY in the twenties.
Asen, I hadn't read the Alienist in years, but I couldn't keep up with the series so I think I agree. Some books owe at least as much to voice as to action.
petiteprimera
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrine home for peculiar children
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by petiteprimera »

Miss Peregrines 4/5

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”