What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
proudbookworm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proudbookworm.html

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by proudbookworm »

I finished Zahrah the Windseeker by Nnedi Okorafor today. I gave 5/5 stars on goodreads.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

The last book I read was Shadowland by C.M. Gray. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. The plot was well thought of and the book was well-planned. It had a great beginning and an extremely satisfying ending. I wouldn't be surprised if the author is a fan of J.R.R. Tolkien. I predict that this would be a well-loved series just like Lord of the Rings.
Subnavigation54
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Subnavigation54 »

London for Immigrant suckers. I rated 5/5. It kept my attention from page 1 til the end of the book. The pacing is quite slow but there are so many events, characters and different issues all held up together nicely, so it doesn't feel slow at all. On this website is called Yugoslavia and London for... but the copy I've got from Amazon is only London for...
Triumph
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Triumph »

I just finished reading Health tips, myths and tricks. The look is very educative especially for the obese people. I rated it 3 out of 4.
Redlegs
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

The Unknown Terrorist by Richard Flanagan is not his best novel, but he is too good a writer for it to be deemed a bad or even an average novel.

But this political crime thriller, which describes the rapid downward spiral of the life of The Doll (real name Gina Davies), a Sydney pole dancer, has many excellent, high quality passages that can't fail to impress.

The Doll meets a man, Tariq, with whom she has a brief relationship. This man, a criminal for sure, is also suspected of being a terrorist, at a time when some unexploded bombs are found in Sydney. The Doll, unfortunately, was photographed entering a hotel with Tariq and is now also suspected of being an accomplice or a terrorist in her own right. She woke up one morning to find herself dubbed the Unknown Terrorist.

What Flanagan accomplished really well is his depiction of the decadent underworld of places like Kings Cross, made up of sex shows, dance clubs, drug addicts and dealers, prostitutes and pimps, criminals and exploiters of women and the generally downtrodden. There is only filth and degradation beneath the thin veneer of glamour.

Flanagan ruthlessly exposes the morally corrupt world of sensationalist journalism, where newspapers, TV stations and many of the people who work there are only concerned with what might bring them fame and fortune. They live by a maxim that never lets facts get in the way of a good story, or at least selectively use only the facts that suit a particular narrative. Never mind who might be hurt by such manipulation of truth.

There is also a clear disdain for governments and law enforcement personnel that exploit a situation to promote fear and uncertainty, and therefore seek to control, amongst the general population.

These excesses are what Flanagan exposes so expertly in this novel with his gift of observation, clear analysis and quality prose.

As a thriller, there are elements that didn't quite satisfy, there were some characters whose role was not quite clear or whose situations were never clearly resolved and some events described that didn't ring quite true.

Overall, I give it 4 stars out of 5, but there is better Flanagan to be had.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Finished A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. Had to give it 4 out of 4.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

I just read Robyn Hood Outlaw Princess by John Reynolds. I think the episode in Sherwood Forest should have been longer so that the characters could have been more developed. I give the book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.
gurpreetkaur
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by gurpreetkaur »

Three mistakes of my life by chetan bhagat- it was good story. Chetan is a Indian writer and he knows that How to describe Indian culture in a story. It was a youth story, their struggle,their goal of life- all describe beautifully in that story. Must read.Thanks.
Czarmaine AM
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czarmaine-am.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Post by Czarmaine AM »

The last book I've read is Raven's Peak. I gave it 4 out of 4 rating. I really enjoyed it and I can't wait to get hold of its sequel. It was fast-paced and intriguing. I also fell in love with the main characters.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
(The Old Astronomer to His Pupil by Sarah Williams)
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I just finished Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole and Confessions of a Domestic Failure by Bunmi Laditan. I really enjoyed Raven's Peak and gave it 3/4 stars!
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

Tick Tock Time's Up by Mark Pettinger and I gave it 2 out of 4 stars. I was way too gruesome for me.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Cynamel1190
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Cynamel1190 »

The last book I read was The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom.

5/5 an awesome read. It truly makes you think and very detailed like a movie playing on the pages. Definitely a tear jerker.
hhriver
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhriver.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by hhriver »

Last book I read was by R.L. Stine Fear street Saga #1 I would rate it 5/5 stars.
Wonderful mental imagery and wonderful spook factor in my opinion. :)
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Cynamel1190 wrote:The last book I read was The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom.

5/5 an awesome read. It truly makes you think and very detailed like a movie playing on the pages. Definitely a tear jerker.
I agree. Hope you have also read Mitch Albom's Tuesdays with Morrie. If not, do it!
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Just finished Imagine Me Gone by Adam Haslett
When Margaret decides to proceed with her wedding, despite the serious mental health issues of her prospective husband, a chain of events is set in motion. Told from the viewpoints of Margaret and her three children this book is a vivid and deeply moving imagining of the impact mental health issues have on parent/child relationships and the demands and guilt it places on siblings.
I give it a 3/4* rating
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”