What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by fernsmom »

Smith by Sam B. Miller II
Rated the book 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the humor and the originality of the plot the most.
lovetoread86
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovetoread86.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by lovetoread86 »

I read White Night by J.J. Holt. It was my first book from online book club. I absolutely loved it. I gave it 4 out of 4 stars. High action and keeps the reader engaged. I hope all of the books I read are this good! :D Can't wait to read my next book.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

I finished two books in the past 24 hours.

The first was Three Novellas (The Ladybird; The Fox; The Captain's Doll) by D H Lawrence. Written in Lawrence's normal elegant style, the three novellas cover a period around the end of WWI and are set in England and Germany.

Unfortunately, none of the three yarns quite reach the heights of Lawrence's more well known novels, but they are enjoyable and relatively satisfying in their own way. If you are a fan of Lawrence, these three novellas, first published in 1923, are definitely worth the short time it will take to read them.

Secondly, Underground Man by Mick Jackson. This peculiar novel is based loosely on the real life character of the fifth Duke of Portland, William John Cavendish-Bentinck-Scott, although the narrative is primarily a work of fiction.

The story, which is a rambling series of anecdotes, is told mostly as entries from the Duke's personal journals, and is therefore a first person account. Interspersed among the Duke's own words are occasional short chapters containing the observations of members of the Duke's household of of acquaintances.

The Duke is nothing short of extremely eccentric, as well as very wealthy. The Duke is also obsessed with his own health and various ailments to an extent bordering on hypochondria.

In the latter part of the story, the Duke develops a fascination with phrenology, which leads him ultimately to experiment with the art of trepanning upon his own head. One suspects the Duke has gone just a little bit (or a lot) mad!

This is mostly a fun romp, a light-hearted portrayal of a very eccentric English noble and those who serve his whims, and is not to be taken too seriously.

I am giving both of these books 3.5 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
zenspider13
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by zenspider13 »

just read "Educated" by Tara Westover- fascinating and frustrating at the same time- but hard to put down
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

I have just read "Pastoring is not what you think". I gave it 3 out of 4 stars.
Philip LoPresti
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Sparrow
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-lopresti.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Philip LoPresti »

The last book I finished was The Girl On The Train.
It’s gripping most of the way through, but the end leaves a bit to be desired. Still, it’s clever and a page turner, so I give it 3 out of 4 stars.
marline gar

Post by marline gar »

Rich Dad Poor Dad: What the Rich Dad Teach Their Kids About Money That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not!, by Robert Kiyosaki and Sharon Lechter.
ShareTheGift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharethegift.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by ShareTheGift »

I just finished reading Roadmap to the End of Times by Daniel Friedmann. In this book Friedmann presents a timeline for the end of days with supporting documentation from the Talmud/Bible.

I found the way he connected the characters, Sefirot, Noahide Laws and biblical events to be interesting and I learned a lot about Judaism.
Last edited by ShareTheGift on 24 Oct 2018, 13:18, edited 1 time in total.
ShareTheGift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharethegift.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by ShareTheGift »

I just finished reading Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann. In this book Friedmann presents a timeline for the end of days with supporting documentation from the Talmud/Bible.

I found the way he connected the characters, Sefirot, Noahide Laws and biblical events to be interesting and I learned a lot about Judaism.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

The last book that I read is The Cult Next Door: A Manhattan Memoir by Elizabeth R. Burchard and Judith L Carlone. I gave it a 3 out of 4 stars rating.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Ashley Cremer
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-cremer.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Ashley Cremer »

The last book that I read was Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane. I rated it a 4 out of 4 starts. It was a quick and really good read.
Ajoke-Ade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajoke-ade.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Ajoke-Ade »

I just finish reading A-Little-Love-Lost-A-Little-Love-Found by H. M Irwing and I gave it a 2 out of 4
trina215
Favorite Book: Betrayal of Justice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trina215.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello

Post by trina215 »

Betrayal Of Justice 4 out 4 stars
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

The Crystilleries of Echoland. It's a YA book and I rated it 4 out 4 stars.
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Mark4749

Post by Mark4749 »

I just finished "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls. It is a memoir of her early life first in California and then West Virginia, and finally settling in New York City. A tale of hardship and poverty it has a surprising ending. She paints a vivid picture of her drunk father whom she loved and who called her "Mountain Goat." Her free spirit mother was a part- time teacher, and artist who loved living on the streets more than she did following societies rules. Very well written, and a compelling story as well. The book advertises that it was a major motion picture, just not where I live.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”