What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Andie-j
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andie-j.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Andie-j »

The last book I read was Lies We Tell Our Children by Brett Wagner and I gave it 3/5 stars.
It is what it is :tiphat:
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

I have just finished The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire Part 1. It was very detailed and informative, but I found it a bit dull towards the end.

3 stars out of 5
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Ajoke-Ade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajoke-ade.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Ajoke-Ade »

I just finish reading
Heartaches by H.M. Irwings
It was explicitly detailed but I found it predictable toward the end.
I gave it 3 out of 4
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

I just finished reading Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella. I gave the book 3 out of 4 stars due to the abundance of errors. The plot and characters were a very enjoyable read, so if it had been professionally edited I would have given it 4 out of 4 stars.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

The book I just finished reading was The Girl Who Knew DaVinci. I thought it was an interesting book. I gave it a score of 3 out of 4. It had supernatural elements that made it unique. It involved a mystery of a missing painting and a love story. I would recommend it.
Redlegs

Post by Redlegs »

The Eye of the Sheep by Sofie Laguna is a wonderful example of modern Australian literary fiction, fully deserving of it 2015 Miles Franklin Award.

The story of Jimmy Flick, narrated fully in the voice of this strange and endearing child, has been beautifully conceived and crafted, with nary a fault to be found from beginning to end. It would have been easy to deviate into cliche, sentimentality or cheap melodrama, but Laguna has maintained a strict discipline and consistency throughout the narrative.

Set in suburban Melbourne, Jimmy Flick, who is six years old at the beginning of the story, lives with his protective and loving mother Paula, his volatile and sometimes abusive father Gavin, and his withdrawn but loving brother Robby.

The peace and stability in the Flick household is always fragile, and the sense of foreboding that things are about to go completely off the rails is forever present.

As family life falls apart, and the ultimate tragedy strikes, Jimmy is left to fend for himself, and he spins out of control.

The novel is jam-packed with family moments, some happy, some sad, some completely heart-breaking, but Laguna is always fully in control of her writing and story-telling.

The insights into family love, violence and trauma are masterful and compelling. Despite its tragedy and its deep sadness, the novel remains always entertaining and engaging. It's hard to put down.

This is a truly impressive novel that is very easy to recommend. 5 stars out of 5

gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I finished 2 books, The Diviners (The Diviners, #1) by Libba Bray, and A night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny. I rated both 4 out of 4 stars.

The Diviners is a good paranormal book. I have read it with hsimone and discussed it with her in the the new Read-A-Long forum.

A night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny is written in the form of a diary, and its narrator is an enchanted dog. The book follows a group of well-known figures who gather in the town where a ceremony is planned to summon ancient forces. The story takes place during the month of October, one entry per day. I loved the voice of the dog, the writing, and the plot!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
AnonReviewer2211
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonreviewer2211.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by AnonReviewer2211 »

The last book that I read was "Manifesto for a Cancer Patient" by Colleen Huber, NMD. I rated it 4/4.

One should read it if, they or someone they know has been diagnosed with cancer. It might prove helpful in choosing the right sort of treatment. Moreover, anyone who loves medicinal science and biology,in general, will find it informative.

The thing that I liked the most about this book is that it acts on what it preaches, that is, it is full of statistics to bring the right sort of treatment into light.
Actuallyashe
Currently Reading: Siona's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Actuallyashe »

Vampire's pet,i give 4 out of 4
Juliar252
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliar252.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Juliar252 »

I just finished "The Rules Do Not Apply" and I loved it! I definitely give it a 4 out 4 stars rating.
Maemuna
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maemuna.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Maemuna »

The world Incorporated ....and i rated it 4 out of 4
Redlegs

Post by Redlegs »

I was quite flabbergasted to find that Quarter Share: A Traveller's Tale from the Age of the Solar Clipper by Nathan Lowell had an average star rating of more than 4.1 on Goodreads.

This was little more than an amateurish, high school level effort at writing a story set in the future (2351) on a space ship travelling between planets in which absolutely nothing except making coffee happens. It doesn't even really qualify as science fiction - it may as well have been set on a ship or a bus!

Ishmael Horatio Wang needs a job because he can't stay on his home planet after his mother dies. He takes a low level (quarter share) job on a solar clipper and is assigned as a kitchen hand.

After initially impressing with his coffee-making skills, he settles into a routine of making coffee (ad nauseum), preparing and cleaning up after meals, going to the gym and sauna, studying for higher level positions, and planning for trading activities at flea markets on the planets the space ship visits.

Yawn! Nothing bloody happens - no drama, no conflict, everyone is 'nice', there are girls but no romance, it's just mundane. Apparently, this is the first of a series of six episodes - guess who won't be reading the other five?

Mercifully, it's shortish and the simplistic writing makes it easy to read. That's about as positive as I can be. 2 stars out of 5

HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by HailKingEbi »

Heartaches 2 by H.M Irwing. I gave it a 4/4 rating.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

Days of the Giants by R.J. Petrella and I gave it 4 out of 4.
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

That should the book of the month, McDowell. It was a good read too. I rated it 4 out of 4 stars for the many beautiful themes captured by the author.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”