Adult Colouring Books

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Adult Colouring Books

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

Was just wondering what anyone else thought about the current craze for these? I have to admit that though, as I can't draw at all, they were fine in principle, I couldn't really get along with them. I'm just not patient enough, and far from inducing that much-vaunted thing 'Mindfulness' they just got me impatient and frustrated. Maybe I should give them another go ...
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Funny but I'm guilty of snatching crayons and coloured pencils from the children I am fostering.
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I think they're a bit silly. I liked coloring when I was a kid; it gave me a sense of competence and pride for having done something artistic (even if I just colored in the spaces). As an adult though, I'd rather do something else.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I bought some for my adult sisters for Christmas last year. They seemed to like them because they could just turn off their minds for a little bit. I think their children ended up stealing them though...
kelvindas19
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kelvindas19 »

Isn't it bit silly for being an adult and doing this?
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Don't you ever find yourself doodling on a notebook during a meeting? Isn't it more cerebral than zoning out in front of a television? I think it is an activity that can help you calm your mind. Adults are under so much stress these days, and we forget to time time out for our mental health. Think of it as a calming timeout.
vaz222
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vaz222.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by vaz222 »

I have tried adult coloring books and enjoyed them a little. What bothered me most was I hurt my wrist so I can't color much without getting cramps. It's a nice activity for my daughter and I to do together.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
miracleugochukwu
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by miracleugochukwu »

I enjoy doodling, seems like I will give the Adult colouring book a try.
Carol Cisne
Currently Reading: Natsume's Book of Friends, Vol. 12
Bookshelf Size: 1072
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carol-cisne.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Carol Cisne »

Lincolnshirelass wrote:Was just wondering what anyone else thought about the current craze for these? I have to admit that though, as I can't draw at all, they were fine in principle, I couldn't really get along with them. I'm just not patient enough, and far from inducing that much-vaunted thing 'Mindfulness' they just got me impatient and frustrated. Maybe I should give them another go ...
I think it's great that people are finding enjoyment in doing something artistic. I don't like that coloring is being touted as mindfulness or any of that other stuff, that's just marketing at this point. You have to go in with no expectations otherwise you'll just end up frustrated and feel defeated.

I've had friends say they can't do it because they aren't artistic. As an artist, let me tell you something, pick up that stick of color and go for it. I don't care if you color outside the lines, use 'ugly' colors, enjoy that damn coloring book however you want!

If you're feeling impatient while coloring try books with simpler illustrations and larger markers. A lot of 'adult' coloring books are highly detailed and that doesn't work for many people: it takes too long to finish, they're too tedious to fill in small spaces, it hurts to hold fine-tipped pencils/markers, etc. Realize why you feel impatient and try a book that might work for you.

I think artistic expression is important, especially for adults, you have to take a break from 'adult things' otherwise you just get burnt out. 'Play' is just as important as 'work'.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

I cannot finish a whole page because I'm not patient enough. I prefer children's coloring books.
Lildivadesi
Currently Reading: The Seven Deadly Sins of Psychology
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lildivadesi.html
Latest Review: "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley

Post by Lildivadesi »

At age 22 I still love coloring. I have bad anxiety so it also helps with that, I can just pull out a coloring book, either a normal one or one of the "adult" ones with smaller areas or more extensive designs and will just color until I am no longer feeling anxious or worried!
Latest Review: "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

Lincolnshirelass wrote: 01 Nov 2017, 08:31 Was just wondering what anyone else thought about the current craze for these? I have to admit that though, as I can't draw at all, they were fine in principle, I couldn't really get along with them. I'm just not patient enough, and far from inducing that much-vaunted thing 'Mindfulness' they just got me impatient and frustrated. Maybe I should give them another go ...
I completely agree with you! See, getting frustrated about not being able to perfectly color in the ridiculous number of pieces they give you is precisely the reason why I've never bought an adult coloring book. I feel like the idea was great in theory and it's worked well for a number of people, but when I color I need it to be absolutely perfect. And I'm not going to get that if I have to spend such a large amount of time coordinating all of the colors to the massive sections in the books.

I've been intrigued by them, but I think if I'm going to color somehting I'll probably stick to regular kids coloring books.
Buchacha21
Currently Reading: China Virus
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buchacha21.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Buchacha21 »

I find I can only do coloring books if I have something else going on, like watching a movie or listening to a podcast or book on tape. Otherwise I don't have the patience either!
Whippet
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whippet.html
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Whippet »

Buchacha21 wrote: 16 Jan 2018, 14:28 I find I can only do coloring books if I have something else going on, like watching a movie or listening to a podcast or book on tape. Otherwise I don't have the patience either!
Same here! My mind always wants to be tuned into something more. Not much more haha. But at least more than colouring, not that I think it's a silly or bad idea. I just can't do it as a standalone activity.
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I think those were first meant only for art therapy sessions. I could be wrong and maybe therapists just took them on as their own later. In principle those books were meant to help a person concentrate and put his emotions on paper without needing to be an artist. As some kind of self discovering practice. Also, I have a grandmother with quite severe dementia and she really gets into the coloring. So they are good for something, one way or another.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”