Adult Colouring Books

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Adult Colouring Books

Post by kfwilson6 »

I tried and in theory it's kind of kool. I just do not have the patience or artistic ability to make them as beautiful as I would like to. I do like to flip through them at the bookstore though. I wish I had a reason to buy them but if I'm not planning to color them, that seems silly.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I really like them! I think they are a lot of fun but I only start a page when I know I have time to finish it. Otherwise, it will drive me crazy.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I have a lot of adult coloring books. They are beautiful but I actually get stressed out when I'm deciding what colors to use. They do not relax me as they should. I was really happy and surprised to find out that kindle has eBook coloring pages. I wish I could color without worrying, my mom tells me I should photocopy my pages so that if I change my mind I will not have messed up the page. I've messed up quite a few pages BC I did not copy them.
seymmarc
Currently Reading: The Nun
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seymmarc.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by seymmarc »

I've coloured a few pages and I do enjoy it. Although, I always find myself conflicted with picking colours. There are times when I'll stare at the page for an hour before deciding how to add the right "style" to it. I think I'm putting way too much thought into it to be enjoyable and relaxing! Haha.
Clinical1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Effective Leaders and Leadership
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clinical1.html
Latest Review: Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Clinical1 »

Best friend sent me one when my father passed away. I thought it was an odd gift.
When I realized I was coloring at the time I would have been caring for him, I realized it was a perfect gift. I reduced stress and my feeling of loss because I had another source of focus.
yowkichan
Favorite Book: Slammed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71

Post by yowkichan »

it pumps up my artistic vibes. though most of the time i end up not finishing a whole page within a time frame. i'd rather just get back to it later when im feelin like my mind cant shut up. it's a really nice distraction.
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loischenderson.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (German Edition) by Peter Liptak

Post by LoisCHenderson »

I love colouring books that contain meaningful text. By December of each year, I am totally exhausted, as most of my editing work for the year is crammed into the months June to November. To read another word of ordinary-sized print would be night to impossible, so I then colour in and listen to the BBC's wonderful radio programmes. I find such an activity extremely comforting, and it really puts me in the holiday mood. It even encourages me to do a little research along the way, at a time when I would otherwise do none.
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

I currently have about ten. I'm not afraid to admit I'm addicted to it. I even picked one up that's based off the book Dracula and one based off Wuthering Heights. Then I have one that's animals and nature and another that's positive quotes based. I'm actually using them for inspiration in my writing. I plan on writing a poem or short story for each picture and posting them on social media eventually.
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loischenderson.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (German Edition) by Peter Liptak

Post by LoisCHenderson »

maggiechap wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 17:41 I currently have about ten. I'm not afraid to admit I'm addicted to it. I even picked one up that's based off the book Dracula and one based off Wuthering Heights. Then I have one that's animals and nature and another that's positive quotes based. I'm actually using them for inspiration in my writing. I plan on writing a poem or short story for each picture and posting them on social media eventually.
You never know where your addiction will lead you! I was addicted to word search puzzles for years until I started compiling my own. Now I can't be bothered to do other people's word search puzzles, because they're so inferior to my own (though I love to admit it :oops: ). If you wish to see some examples, check out Towns and Villages Situated Along the North TransPennine Line: A Collection of Word Search Puzzles on Amazon.com. I call them augmented - you'll have to look at the book to find out why! Perhaps one day you'll become a children's/graphic book illustrator... Best wishes for your future in any case :lire4:
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

LoisCHenderson wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 23:29
maggiechap wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 17:41 I currently have about ten. I'm not afraid to admit I'm addicted to it. I even picked one up that's based off the book Dracula and one based off Wuthering Heights. Then I have one that's animals and nature and another that's positive quotes based. I'm actually using them for inspiration in my writing. I plan on writing a poem or short story for each picture and posting them on social media eventually.
You never know where your addiction will lead you! I was addicted to word search puzzles for years until I started compiling my own. Now I can't be bothered to do other people's word search puzzles, because they're so inferior to my own (though I love to admit it :oops: ). If you wish to see some examples, check out Towns and Villages Situated Along the North TransPennine Line: A Collection of Word Search Puzzles on Amazon.com. I call them augmented - you'll have to look at the book to find out why! Perhaps one day you'll become a children's/graphic book illustrator... Best wishes for your future in any case :lire4:

Sadly I don't actually create the pictures myself, though I would love to. I did write an adult coloring poetry book called "Blank Lines" that's on instafreebie and had someone else illustrate it. I just don't have the time to do that myself lol. I would love to work on something similar with short stories and even novel projects. The books for Dracula are absolutely stunning. Doing that for a whole story would be mind blowing.
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmteachmom.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Jmteachmom »

I will admit to owning a few of those adult colouring books but my daughter is the one that actually colors in them. She is very artistic!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I've never tried it, but I have wanted to for a couple years now. I think it sounds therapeutic; semi-mindless but still creative.
Javier Campos
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javier-campos.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Javier Campos »

Does coloring one of those counts as part of my reading goals for the year? :D
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

lol... color me silly. I love to color. So I'm not impartial about appropriate, adult coloring books.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Uche Balogun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-balogun.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Uche Balogun »

These exist? Funny enough, I've been considering buying a children's colouring book, just for the soothing calm of doing something that doesn't require a lot of skill.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”