What kind of ending should a book have?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
vaz222
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vaz222.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Re: What kind of ending should a book have?

Post by vaz222 »

I guess I prefer happy endings. But it has to be whatever makes sense with the story. Surprise endings are always fun.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Abel Joshua
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Abel Joshua »

Many like an happy or sad ending but I think most books should have suspense ending I mean unbelievable ending that will make the Reader amazed at the unexpected ending .
Facennagoss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facennagoss.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Facennagoss »

One that either makes you want to share it with everyone or the complete opposite: one that turns you in to a recluse whilst you think about what you have just read.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I don’t mind the author writing any of those ways but I probably prefer a happy ending. The only thing I dislike is if the book abruptly ends it makes the book seem incomplete & that the author gave up on the book.
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

I would prefer an ending which leaves the readers with a question, a thought-proving ending. Personally, a happy ending makes less difference to me.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

A book doesn't have to end happy but it does have to end with hope. Just as King Arthur is about to die in battle against Lancelot, with their true love Guinevere banished to a monastery, Arthur knights the boy Tom and send him back to England to carry on the ideas of chivalry and the ideal society of Camelot.
ElizaPeaks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by ElizaPeaks »

Here's the thing: as long as the ending answers the story's big question, I don't care what kind of ending it has. Every story starts with some sort of question (e.g. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, who is the heir and what are they up to? more or less) and ends when that question is answered (Surprise! it was Voldy!). Some books ask more straightforward questions like the example above, and others ask more indirect questions (e.g. usually this surrounds the theme of the novel). These indirect questions aren't always related to the plot, so sometimes, when the plot seems to be absurd or to have no real ending, that indirect question is still answered in some way (as long as you can figure out what the question was, to begin with!).
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

I feel the endings should always justify characters in the book and the plot. There is no point in giving a happy ending by sacrificing their integral character.
KaitW13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitw13.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by KaitW13 »

A book should have an ending that leaves the reader thinking about it for a long time after they finish the book. A novel that leaves a lasting impression and questions that are up for interpretation are always the best because they have infinite layers to be analyzed.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

I prefer suspense cause it keeps mwe wanting more.
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

Definitely not a cliffhanger! I don't mind books that have unhappy endings as much as a book with cliffhangers. I understand that if the book is part of a series then it has to have a certain mystery element even after it has ended, but I need some amount of resolution. A good example of this would be the Harry Potter series.
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

I generally don't mind. It is the author's story to tell and they tell it how they see fit. So it really depends on the book. Though, sometimes I am disappointed by cliffhangers. Sometimes they can seem out of place for the story or hinder the story.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

I feel like the ending of a book depends on the book itself. Some books need a sad ending as it will fit better or a happy ending.
Daniel Muky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-muky.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Daniel Muky »

I like happy endings for the hide reality : and that's one main reason I even read fiction. But a sad ending also brings me back to life's bitter reality that I so often hide from..so I don't mind it once in a while.
cxsimpson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cxsimpson.html
Latest Review: How to Generate and Earn Royalty Income by Marina Peters

Post by cxsimpson »

I think the ending depends on the type of book. A realistic book should have a realistic ending, whether that's happy or sad.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”