What kind of ending should a book have?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Re: What kind of ending should a book have?

Post by car-mbz »

Me as a reader I should feel that the story is complete. I prefer a happy ending where there is a close to character development. The characters should have grown throughout the book.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Goral
Currently Reading: A Brief History of Time
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goral.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Goral »

I believe that books should have a happy ending. It's irritating if the character you love just dies at the end or gets into depression. I also hate it when an author leaves unexplained mysteries at the end of the book.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy books, and that's kind of the same thing
Archaeoptery
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archaeoptery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Archaeoptery »

I really do not have a set ending I prefer. Usually I am just fine with what endings the author gives.
Abdullahi A 2
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Abdullahi A 2 »

If a book talks about a fair-hearted who suffers alot in life,then it suppose have a happy ending to show that being fair is good.
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

A good resolution no doubt. One where it leaves me wanting more but satisfied in what I've gotten.
Cassidy Simpson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimpson97.html
Latest Review: Another Poor Cow by Martins Agbonlahor

Post by Cassidy Simpson »

The kind of ending a book should have depends entirely on the type of book it is. Not every ending is happy, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily sad. It could just be a regular ending, like the types most people have. Some people have tragic endings and some have very happy endings. Books should be able to have any kind of ending.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

Whatever one suits the story. For a sci-fi it's usually a twist ending or an open-ended one. However for Star Wars its ending is perfect. (OT) I also think Harry Potter had a perfect ending. So it really depends. For what the story is, everything has the possible perfect ending.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Liveforchrist51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liveforchrist51.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Post by Liveforchrist51 »

I enjoy books that end with a cliffhanger. Sometimes it is nice to have a happy ending, yes. However, a book that just makes your jaw drop and leaves you frustrated and begging to know what truly happened, those are the best books. It takes a very skilled author to make those perfect cliffhangers happen at the end.
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

I do not like tragic endings. I am for happy endings. Books with tragic endings just ruin my mood.
Jenna Kay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenna-kay.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Jenna Kay »

I prefer books that do not have a happy ending, though I do want them to have an ending where every loose end is acknowledged though it doesn't have to be completely resolved. I like a little mystery in the ending where I'm not one hundred percent sure what happened and there's room for interpretation. I especially like bittersweet endings that end with hope but not happily in a way that overcomes tragedy. Above all, for me, it is important that the ending is not rushed.
Harshinittu
Currently Reading: America Dies - When Based Upon Lies
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Harshinittu »

Definitely a moral ending , something that gives us a message. I always search for the purpose of the book, and what actually author wants to convey through their story and what is being to connect between us.
Mason Garrod
Currently Reading: Uncommon Poems Common People
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mason-garrod.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Mason Garrod »

By far the most important thing is that it fits the story. But on average, bittersweet is generally the most satisfying for me as it feels most true to life. Endings where literally every single character gets everything they wanted just feel like sentimental fanservice

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”