How Interesting would life be without Books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Re: How Interesting would life be without Books?

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Extremely boring!! Thanks for the books that spice up our days!
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

It really wouldn't be interesting.
Books are important for more reasons than being just a hobby. A lot of knowledge can be learnt from them.
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbyemi.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Debbyemi »

DATo wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 06:21 The question of whether or not life would be interesting without books is a loaded one when asked of people who are all members of an online book club. I have known people who I doubt have ever read a book cover-to-cover in their entire lives and yet they were happy individuals with full and interesting lives.

Some posts on this thread have alluded to mankind's progress without the use of books. The more accurate premise would be mankind's progress without the printed word. The printed word is generally considered man's greatest invention and for good reason, but I think most of us are reacting to the idea of books for reading entertainment. The world would certainly be a dull place without books for entertainment and escape, but I doubt that mankind as a species would be seriously impaired by their loss.
Hmmm, this is deep and actually true.
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

ValBookReviews wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 22:16 Very good question. I actually never thought it before. But, then again, How can one miss what one may never have had?
hmmm, so true.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Debbyemi wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 04:42
ValBookReviews wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 22:16 Very good question. I actually never thought about it before. But, then again, How can one miss what one may never have had?
hmmm, so true.
Yes indeed!
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

In the olden times, no books existed and stories are past down to generations orally. Perhaps if I had lived in a world with no books, I may survive by listening to these storytellers. It won't be as fun or as convenient as reading, since I will always need someone else to tell the story. Still, it's the only alternative I can think of.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

Tsundoku-san wrote: 20 Sep 2017, 01:01 I can't imagine. :shock: A world without books? No. They can take everything, the net, touched screen phones, and even technology. I can live without it. But no, not books! No darling, I will die! :shock:
I agree. I can't imagine what my life would be like without books.
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

jvez wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 14:32 In the olden times, no books existed and stories are past down to generations orally. Perhaps if I had lived in a world with no books, I may survive by listening to these storytellers. It won't be as fun or as convenient as reading, since I will always need someone else to tell the story. Still, it's the only alternative I can think of.
I guess that is the closest alternative we can every get.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I think that life without books would be so interesting that I will probably die out of boredom! Okay, there are other hobbies, lots and lots of them in fact. But I still can not understand what the people who do not like to read do all day long!
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

Aryastark wrote: 03 May 2018, 06:30 I think that life without books would be so interesting that I will probably die out of boredom! Okay, there are other hobbies, lots and lots of them in fact. But I still can not understand what the people who do not like to read do all day long!
Neither do I, I can do some other things but, somehow, a day cannot be complete if I haven't read.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

This post looks like a plot to an horror movie. Maybe machines have finally taken over and they destroyed all books to stop human race from gaining control and defeating them. That's one horror movie I won't be seeing.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

The answer that question is so scary, I cannot even imagine. Life without books would probably lead me to a mental hospital. Although true lie is interesting, some times true life is where you need to escape from. The words written in a book can transform a persons life. All people are not social butterflies who live to interact with others. Regardless of how the interaction occurs, extravert people such as myself, do not prefer the constant company of others. In the company of a book is what we seek. The words inside a book entertains us more than the chatter of unimportant conversations on social media sites.

Where would we go to seek solitude, to explore the unknown or get lost in a far away land where anything is possible. I would imagine that there would be a lot of lost souls with nothing to do. But life would not be that cruel!
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:

Post by bootsie0126+ »

nikkyteewhy wrote: 12 May 2018, 15:06 This post looks like a plot to an horror movie. Maybe machines have finally taken over and they destroyed all books to stop human race from gaining control and defeating them. That's one horror movie I won't be seeing.
I am cracking up at your post (LMHO). You got it right. I could see Stephen King writing the story of how the world has turned into walking zombies in search of a book. The one place that has been able to hide books is under attack and the people must defend the only few books left in the world. Ahh :vollpanik: :vollpanik:
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

bootsie0126+ wrote: 12 May 2018, 20:41
nikkyteewhy wrote: 12 May 2018, 15:06 This post looks like a plot to an horror movie. Maybe machines have finally taken over and they destroyed all books to stop human race from gaining control and defeating them. That's one horror movie I won't be seeing.
I am cracking up at your post (LMHO). You got it right. I could see Stephen King writing the story of how the world has turned into walking zombies in search of a book. The one place that has been able to hide books is under attack and the people must defend the only few books left in the world. Ahh :vollpanik: :vollpanik:
Yeah totally, then an ancient looking man would have the copy of the world's last book which would be a manual of how to shut down the machine, only problem is no one can read; till they find the Chosen One. The last girl who can read.:vollpanik: :vollpanik:
[/quote]
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:

Post by bootsie0126+ »

nikkyteewhy wrote: 12 May 2018, 21:54
bootsie0126+ wrote: 12 May 2018, 20:41
Yeah totally, then an ancient looking man would have the copy of the world's last book which would be a manual of how to shut down the machine, only problem is no one can read; till they find the Chosen One. The last girl who can read.:vollpanik: :vollpanik:
[/quote]
I think we got a hit on our hands. This is so cool. Of course, if the book did so well and became a movie, Stephen would have to make a quest appearance in the movie, like he has in just about every other book/movie that he has written. :lol2:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”