Have you ever purchased a book because of the cover art?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Have you ever purchased a book because of the cover art?

Post by Elle Howard »

Many years ago, I was on a shopping trip to Chicago. I saw a book in the bookstore that had the coolest art on the cover. I purchased the book without ever looking at the title, the author or reading the description. I just thought it would be pretty cool sitting on a table in my office.

Later, I would start hearing about this must read book that everyone was looking all over for. I recognized the cover immediately. It was the book sitting in my office. Feeling somewhat foolish and guilty, I actually sat down and read the book. It was the first Harry Potter book and it was amazing.

Have you ever purchased a book based on the artwork on the cover? If so, did you ever actually read the book?
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Awww that's a really cute story. I'm glad you ended up loving Harry Potter.

I actually bought Lani Taylor's Strange the Dreamer because the cover was just gorgeous. I'm only still a few chapters in though. (I have tried to link or attach a picture)

Attachments
85f03970-19fc-4abd-9077-a4796ebbfe6d.jpg
85f03970-19fc-4abd-9077-a4796ebbfe6d.jpg (85.42 KiB) Viewed 2276 times
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
maiamalanee
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... tlander</a>
Currently Reading: Green Mansions
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maiamalanee.html
Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by maiamalanee »

I'm more drawn to a book because of its cover, but I always have to read the back or flap copy before I can 100% commit to it. I've never bought a book just by its cover, but I have definitely thought about it.
Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

No i have never done that.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
IanYanny
Currently Reading: The Lovely Bones
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ianyanny.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by IanYanny »

I've never done such a thing. I am a "don't judge a book by its cover" type or reader, and yes, I take that literally. But I have to admit that an attractive book cover can actually spark a bit of curiosity
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

Yes. I don't remember the title, but I believe it was a graphic novel about a witch.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

I bought The Christmas Angels because of the beautiful illustrations, then I read the book and started collecting all books with Thomas Kinkade and Katherine Spencer.
Jfoust1988
Currently Reading: The Vampire Secret
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfoust1988.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Jfoust1988 »

Guilty as charged. Did I read said books? Yes and no. I have done this a few times. Sometimes I do read them sometimes I don't.
folkshot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-folkshot.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by folkshot »

I definitely choose books based on their covers. It's the first thing that grabs me. That being said, I always read the synopsis on the back to determine if it's actually a story for me. I've turned down many a book because of the back cover synopsis.
Hatarl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hatarl1.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Hatarl1 »

I haven’t bought a book just because of a cover. There are some that do interest me but I will always read the back to see what it’s about. There are a few times when I am unsure when I do read the back so then I read 3-5 pages to see if I can get into it. If I do then I buy it. Also I make sure it’s on sale if I can afford it.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I have done that many times, although I can't recall specific books. Cover art can really draw you in! I always read them in the end, though.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I have purchased books just for their cover, title, and author. Most books I buy cheap or used, so my risk of disappointment is greatly reduced. I just like to give almost every book a chance.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I have done that, but only if the book is part of a book sale... And I mean it's got to be a killer good deal. Otherwise, no, because I've seen some great artwork on some cruddy reading material.
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

I have purchased books due to their Front cover. I've done this a lot of times already. At first glance actually, the cover of a book attracts me, then i browse over the summary at the back. And when I like the ummary and i like the cover, I buy it.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
Allie_L
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Allie_L »

I bought the Queen of the Tearling by Erica Johansen mostly because I thought the cover was pretty and the story sounded decent. Unfortunately I was wrong and never ended up finishing it because there was nothing in the writing that was connecting me with the characters or the characters to each other even. Maybe I gave up on it too early and it gets better towards the end, but I honestly don't see myself picking that one back up again.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”