Have you ever purchased a book because of the cover art?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Re: Have you ever purchased a book because of the cover art?

Post by Jesscar6 »

I haven't.
I always read the description on the book.
The cover is important. It gives an idea of the professionalism of it and definitely adds to the appeal, but a book can have a beautiful cover, and still not be the type of book I personally like to read.
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

No, I have never done that. I always check the content to see if the book has something of my interest.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

Yes! This one time I fell in love with the cover so much but ended up not reading it. I can't even remember what the title was now. I've donated that book years ago.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I don't think I've ever purchased a book solely on the cover art. But I certainly do notice the cover and think to myself if it seems to be a good fit for the book title etc.
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

Sometimes, I preemptively judge a book by its cover to get a sense for the genre blend or tone, and then I read the blurb for more information. Other times, the cover is the deciding factor because it's attractive. I know I might get a bit of flack for it, but a bad quality cover tells you a lot. Especially with self-published books and dodgy cut-and-paste editing. I've never bought a book judging solely by its cover, though.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Yes, I've purchased books based on their cover art. Unfortunately, they aren't always good and I keep trying to remind myself not to buy based on the cover.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

I'm always influenced by the cover art on books.
“I have experienced many times
since then that I don’t always have
to prove I’m right to win at the
game of life."
Rob White
ElizaPeaks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by ElizaPeaks »

I will admit that I often purchase books for their covers but only if I think that they'll be a good read as well! And, with self-publishing becoming accessible to anyone with a computer, I find myself trusting books with nice covers over ones with less appealing covers. A lot of self-publishers are looking for the cheapest way to publish their books, so they pay for cheaper cover designers or design them themselves. While some turn out really nice, there are so many that look like they've been slapped together last minute. I was appalled when I saw a mock design for one of my friend's self-published book; the designer had made some really basic design mistakes! And he said that, unless she had any suggestions, it was the final product! I know a book has been really taken care of by how well the cover is designed... and of course, there are some great self-published books with less-than-pleasing covers that I'll still enjoy! However, the cover can really tell you a lot about the quality of the book...
Maralynx
Currently Reading: Castle in the Air
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maralynx.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maralynx »

Oh yes, more than once. For example, I saw a book of an author from my country, and the cover was so bizarre that I was entranced. I don't really read books from authors from my country, mostly because of the writing style. But the cover was incredible, the book was new, so it wasn't expensive and I bought it. It turned out to be a great read, and a couple of months later it won the most prestigious award in my country. I was so happy.
'A Hunter and a Doe,
A path with a secret covered,
Like ice, like ember,
They'll never be a pair.'- A Hunter and a Doe by Plavi Orkestar
SavannahJones
Currently Reading: I will make of thee a great nation
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannahjones.html
Latest Review: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation by Val D. Greenwood
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SavannahJones »

When I was about 12, my family went to Park City, Utah. We (being the nerds we are) stopped in a bookstore. While we were browsing, my mom pointed out a new book. I looked at the cover and the title and was sucked in. The book was The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani. To this day, I still love to read this book over and over again.
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

Cover art, colour of the book, font of the title, size of the book, price of the book, you name it. :lol2:
cxsimpson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cxsimpson.html
Latest Review: How to Generate and Earn Royalty Income by Marina Peters

Post by cxsimpson »

I bought a copy of The Wizard of Oz once just because the cover was pretty. It was just the same story as it's always been, but it looked great in pictures.
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

Jfoust1988 wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 15:29 Guilty as charged. Did I read said books? Yes and no. I have done this a few times. Sometimes I do read them sometimes I don't.
Yes, I am not the only one.
eliviac35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eliviac35.html
Latest Review: Tears & Laughters by Ray R. F.

Post by eliviac35 »

I have never purchased one based on the cover alone, but when I was in school, I always picked which Nancy Drew book to read next based on the cover.
Henrytbab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henrytbab.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Henrytbab »

Elle Howard wrote: 10 Sep 2017, 15:01 Many years ago, I was on a shopping trip to Chicago. I saw a book in the bookstore that had the coolest art on the cover. I purchased the book without ever looking at the title, the author or reading the description. I just thought it would be pretty cool sitting on a table in my office.

Later, I would start hearing about this must read book that everyone was looking all over for. I recognized the cover immediately. It was the book sitting in my office. Feeling somewhat foolish and guilty, I actually sat down and read the book. It was the first Harry Potter book and it was amazing.

Have you ever purchased a book based on the artwork on the cover? If so, did you ever actually read the book?
Yes. I think I have done that several times, especially when I was a child.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
-George Bernard Shaw

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”