Which antagonist have you felt sorry for?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
NSOfficial
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nsofficial.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Which antagonist have you felt sorry for?

Post by NSOfficial »

We all come across books with some vile antagonists that make us clench our fists and punch the air but seeing how authors are growing more reluctant to subscribe to the formula of a purely dark hued baddie and dabbling with more "grey shaded" characters in their writings, it has become harder to despise someone with all your heart. The classic example being, Draco Malfoy from the Harry Potter Series, which antagonist has led you to believe that they deserved another chance or made you feel sorry for them at any point in the story?
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Good question. This is one I'd really have to think about.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Yeah, I was going to say Draco Malfoy. I always had a soft spot for him. He is a bit of an annoying kid when he is younger, but as he grows, it seems that he is forced to be the bad guy, the one that readers should hate. His character is born into an evil family, and it seems like he has no choice in his destiny.

Even though Harry Potter was the hero of the series, I sometimes despised him because he was such a goody-goody, all the teachers loved him, and he could get away with anything in the school.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

I would say Draco Malfoy from the Harry Potter series as well. It is easy to see why he is the way he is. His father is awful to him and everyone else. Such a nasty, cold man! Poor kid.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Speaking of Harry Potter, I think it's Dudley that really goes from dislikable to someone you're actually sorry for. It's also interesting that in the books he (and also Petunia) is supposed to be blond, just like Draco. I always thought it made an interesting parallel.

Anyway, back to the question. The only other story I could think of would be The Other Boleyn Girl. It's her eventual downfall that makes Anne Boleyn such a pitiable character.
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

As a child, I read the Secrets of Droon series. I always felt bad for Spar. He had a really sad backstory and became evil because he was misguided from an early age. Later on he does regret his ways.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”