Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » General Book & Reading Discussion

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Which book are you proud that you read and finished?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Which book are you proud that you read and finished?

Post Number:#1 by Anirudh Badri
» 18 Aug 2017, 16:25

There are many books that seem challenging and are hard to read. Which of those books have you actually finished and are proud of yourself for?

For me, it is Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand. I am currently trying to read Ulysses by James Joyce, which would also be a huge milestone for me.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
Anirudh Badri

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 22%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Which book are you proud that you read and finished?

Post Number:#2 by Mallory Whitaker
» 18 Aug 2017, 17:31

Ulysses would be quite the accomplishment. I wish you the best of luck with that! I read, The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, by James Joyce and that was hard enough to get through. The hardest books I've read, and am proud to have gotten through, are probably Heart of Darkness and The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad. I find him incredibly difficult to read.
Mallory Whitaker's Latest Review: "Consequences" by Sam Boyd
Mallory Whitaker

Currently Reading: They Were My Friends - Jack, Bob and Ted
Bookshelf Size: 42 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 35 Books
Goal Completion: 54%

Post Number:#3 by Jolyon Trevelyan
» 26 Aug 2017, 17:50

I can`t say i have ever felt proud finishing a book.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
Jolyon Trevelyan

Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 9 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#4 by Helga_
» 27 Aug 2017, 06:18

Two books come to mind right away: The Autobiography of Malcolm X and Native Son.
"Difficult and challenging", not because I couldn't understand the content. Both of the books are intense reads because it's about the painful history, which is still repeating itself today...I've learned a lot, and done a lot of thinking and researching while and after reading them.

@T/S: Good luck! I'm reading a book about book-loving by a famous book lover (haha) He talked about when he made it a goal to finish Ulysses.
Helga_

Bookshelf Size: 2 books

Post Number:#5 by Atabon Della
» 27 Aug 2017, 07:11

The first book I had to review was not the best. It was pretty difficult for me to read it through but I'm glad i did. The book is Gates to Tangier by Mois Benarroch.
Atabon Della's Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Atabon Della

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#6 by AliceofX
» 28 Aug 2017, 09:12

If a book is hard to read then honestly I don't bother. Life is too short to waste with books that are a struggle to get through. That's always been my philosophy, but one book that was hard to read (because of the difficult subject matter) that I did finish was The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. At times it was a struggle, and I certainly can't remember ever feeling this depressed from a book, but it was nevertheless a very rewarding experience reading the book.
AliceofX's Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
AliceofX

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 355 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#7 by KiMB00P
» 28 Aug 2017, 16:56

I don't read challenging books either. A book that I really like will get read in a few days, but one that is hard and can't hold my attention will take a couple of months before I realize I am getting nowhere.
KiMB00P

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118 books
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 10%

Post Number:#8 by Bluecobia
» 28 Aug 2017, 17:51

I would say my organic chemistry text in college was the hardest book I have read.
Bluecobia's Latest Review: "Srepska" by Lucas Sterling
Bluecobia

Currently Reading: The Witch Squad
Bookshelf Size: 25 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 60%

Post Number:#9 by jenjayfromSA
» 06 Sep 2017, 04:11

Classics like Mill on the Floss for university courses were hard, but I had to finish them. The toughest was the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. I don't know why I felt I had to read it, but I did. It took about three months on and off. I confess I have never dared to try Ulysses. I waded grimly through Portrait of an Artist and I've managed to avoid Tolstoy. I think I would sink.
jenjayfromSA

Currently Reading: Black Mirrors of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 31 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 24 Books
Goal Completion: 70%

Post Number:#10 by Elle Howard
» 19 Sep 2017, 19:00

The Lord of the Rings series by J. R. R. Tolkien. So worth the effort but it took me forever to finish all of them.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Elle Howard's Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Elle Howard

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Nook HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 10 Books
Goal Completion: 70%