Have you ever missed your night sleep for a book

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Re: Have you ever missed your night sleep for a book

Post by Camille Turner »

Absolutely! It happened more when I was a kid though. When a new Harry Potter book was released, for example, I'd stay up all night devouring every word. Actually, now that I think of it, when the play "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" was released a year or two ago, I did the same thing! I felt just like a kid again!
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

I remember staying up all night to read Hunger Games and then doing it again two nights later with Catching Fire!
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman

Post by Haute_Coffee »

Camille Turner wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 12:18 Absolutely! It happened more when I was a kid though. When a new Harry Potter book was released, for example, I'd stay up all night devouring every word. Actually, now that I think of it, when the play "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" was released a year or two ago, I did the same thing! I felt just like a kid again!
I was in my early twenties and our local bookstore would have midnight release parties. So my boyfriend (now husband) and I would stay up the rest of the night reading our brand new books. Harry Potter owes me a lot of sleep, actually!
toribyers13
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toribyers13.html
Latest Review: What the River Wants by Arthur Byrd

Post by toribyers13 »

I have sacrificed many a night to a good book! Sometimes I'm not even aware of how late it is until I finish the book! Other times I willingly sacrifice the night, lol. Sometimes it's just not possible to put a book down!
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

Haute_Coffee wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 21:00
Camille Turner wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 12:18 Absolutely! It happened more when I was a kid though. When a new Harry Potter book was released, for example, I'd stay up all night devouring every word. Actually, now that I think of it, when the play "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" was released a year or two ago, I did the same thing! I felt just like a kid again!
I was in my early twenties and our local bookstore would have midnight release parties. So my boyfriend (now husband) and I would stay up the rest of the night reading our brand new books. Harry Potter owes me a lot of sleep, actually!

Oh my gosh, midnight Harry Potter release parties were the best! My mom used to take me. Great memories! Thanks for sharing. :)
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I try to finish reading chapters, but sometimes I get too tired. If I'm reading a physical book I will judge by how many pages I have left and if I'm super into it I will read until I am finished.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

With a great book, this is easy to do. You can become so engrossed in a book and time slips away from you. Sometimes I realize that the hour is getting late but I can't put the book down. I have even got to the point where I realize the lateness of the hour and know that I have to get to sleep and mentally tell my self, I will stop at the next chapter and finish in the morning, only to find that the end of that chapter is a kind of cliffhanger and you just can't help but go to the next chapter, then the next.
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbyemi.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Debbyemi »

Exactly, things we do as kids though. It's fun getting the kid feeling once in a whille.
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

Haute_Coffee wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 20:57 I remember staying up all night to read Hunger Games and then doing it again two nights later with Catching Fire!
I can relate.
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

toribyers13 wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 03:50 I have sacrificed many a night to a good book! Sometimes I'm not even aware of how late it is until I finish the book! Other times I willingly sacrifice the night, lol. Sometimes it's just not possible to put a book down!
lol, I can relate. Sometimes putting the book down is like suicidal, I won't have a peaceful sleep without knowing how it all ended.
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

bootsie0126+ wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 00:46 With a great book, this is easy to do. You can become so engrossed in a book and time slips away from you. Sometimes I realize that the hour is getting late but I can't put the book down. I have even got to the point where I realize the lateness of the hour and know that I have to get to sleep and mentally tell my self, I will stop at the next chapter and finish in the morning, only to find that the end of that chapter is a kind of cliffhanger and you just can't help but go to the next chapter, then the next.
Yea, that's the beauty of a great book, we just can't put it down until we are done
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

Yes i have had. I wanted so bad to finish the Hubrr games series in an ebook form i missed lots of sleep then. But at times as well if i need to sleep i just read a book to help me catch a wink.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I am usually pretty good at forcing myself to put the book down. However, sometimes I do stay up to read. I think the latest I ever stayed up was midnight. If I stay up past that I just fall asleep XD
ALYoung
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyoung.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials by B. Truly

Post by ALYoung »

I have done this many times. I love reading and it is my escape from reality. I do find that if I get really drawn in to the books setting or become emotionally involved in the characters, I have to find out what is happening. This really happened to me when I was reading Vampire Academy. This is my all time favorite book series and I struggled a lot to put them down. This was the series that I would be waiting for the next book to come out and had to read it the second it got in my hand.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

When twilight came out, I spent a whole school night reading it. I only put the book down at 5 when I was meant to wake up and prepare for school. I was a wreck the entire day because of my lack of sleep

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”