Have you ever missed your night sleep for a book

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbyemi.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Re: Have you ever missed your night sleep for a book

Post by Debbyemi »

The Dizzy Diva wrote:I have stayed up half the night reading a book. The Harry Potter series when they were first being released is what first came to mind. I just could not put them down to sleep. I had to know how they ended. The next day, the sense of accomplishment and thinking about the story gave me the energy to function.
I can relate, the sense of accomplishment and the satisfaction I get after finishing a book is usually what keeps me going.

-- 29 Aug 2017, 03:25 --
Atabon Della wrote:No, I have never. I guess it's because I have not read that many books. Am still trying to adjust to reading books.
You will enjoy the reading journey as you adjust. I can be so sure of that.

-- 29 Aug 2017, 03:27 --
CatInTheHat wrote:I don't think I've ever lost a whole night's sleep but I've certainly lost a few hours of sleep (a little too often).
Reading is fun. It almost natural to miss a few hours of sleep.
Child
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-child.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Child »

CatInTheHat wrote:I don't think I've ever lost a whole night's sleep but I've certainly lost a few hours of sleep (a little too often).
Exactly, this is so true
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

Child wrote:
Exactly, this is so true
I can assume all book lovers have a story to tell in this area.
Cátia Rato
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catiarato.html
Latest Review: The Inmate by Alan P. Woodruff

Post by Cátia Rato »

Usually, when I had an exam term in college, the two weeks I had between classes and the first exam, would go like this: trying to study during the day, give up, start reading a book, only stop when I finished.
And I can read a full book in two days, so if I spent the entire night awake, I would read it in one day.
I don't know how I passed my exams, to be honest.
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

I don't know about the entire night, but I know about most of the night; what's the difference? It's been a while since I did that though. Between school and work and countless other activities, I don't even have the will to lose sleep anymore. I think Miss Malory Investigates was the first book I did that for. It was the first adult mystery I read. I read Dan Brown's Digital Fortress overnight and only slept when I was done with the book. Those were some nice times. Perhaps, I should try to do it once more.
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

catiarato wrote:Usually, when I had an exam term in college, the two weeks I had between classes and the first exam, would go like this: trying to study during the day, give up, start reading a book, only stop when I finished.
And I can read a full book in two days, so if I spent the entire night awake, I would read it in one day.
I don't know how I passed my exams, to be honest.
Wow, I can relate. I just got a partner in you, I really do wonder how I passed my exams sometimes.

-- 15 Sep 2017, 05:18 --
Vivian Paschal wrote:I don't know about the entire night, but I know about most of the night; what's the difference? It's been a while since I did that though. Between school and work and countless other activities, I don't even have the will to lose sleep anymore. I think Miss Malory Investigates was the first book I did that for. It was the first adult mystery I read. I read Dan Brown's Digital Fortress overnight and only slept when I was done with the book. Those were some nice times. Perhaps, I should try to do it once more.
Same here Vivian Paschal. I hardly miss my whole night these days reading books. I find it difficult to do after the day's work. Did it more when I was in school though. Those were really nice times.
IanYanny
Currently Reading: The Lovely Bones
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ianyanny.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by IanYanny »

Mallory Whitaker wrote:I've definitely done that. I'll do it either because the book is totally engrossing and I just have to know what happens or I'll be like there are only X amount of pages left. I can knock this out tonight. The latter is probably because I'm a bit of a night owl.
I agree with Mallory. As for me, night time is the only chance I have to actually sit down and read since I am busy doing random stuff during the day time.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

IanYanny wrote:
Mallory Whitaker wrote:I've definitely done that. I'll do it either because the book is totally engrossing and I just have to know what happens or I'll be like there are only X amount of pages left. I can knock this out tonight. The latter is probably because I'm a bit of a night owl.
I agree with Mallory. As for me, night time is the only chance I have to actually sit down and read since I am busy doing random stuff during the day time.
I also agree with that. Day time is usually very busy, and distractions are more during the day. Night time is usually the best time.
Booklover11
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover11.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Booklover11 »

All the time! I have a tendency to get wrapped up into a good book and forget how fast time passes by. I have realized in the past few years I have become too dependent on my phone and the best way for me to take a break from being glued to it is by finding a good book.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

Booklover11 wrote:All the time! I have a tendency to get wrapped up into a good book and forget how fast time passes by. I have realized in the past few years I have become too dependent on my phone and the best way for me to take a break from being glued to it is by finding a good book.
Wow, that's a good suggestion Booklover11, using book to break from phone. Will definitely try that out. :tiphat:
TheWriteAngel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thewriteangel.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by TheWriteAngel »

Missed my sleep ? Maybe not. But I have stayed up late into the night as much as I could without mental exhaustion doing me in. I would wake up tired the next morning, still, no regrets. :D
meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 »

Oh, I almost did. And it was over a book titled "The Mark of the Cobra". I love that book.
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

TheWriteAngel wrote:Missed my sleep ? Maybe not. But I have stayed up late into the night as much as I could without mental exhaustion doing me in. I would wake up tired the next morning, still, no regrets. :D
Same here, no regrets.

-- 19 Oct 2017, 03:37 --
meteku4 wrote:Oh, I almost did. And it was over a book titled "The Mark of the Cobra". I love that book.
We always do it for the love of a book. :D
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

I have done this to many times to count.
Maroosh
Currently Reading: Kidnapped
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maroosh.html
Latest Review: Zeus Defied by Rez Khan

Post by Maroosh »

I once sacrificed a whole night's sleep but that doesn't count because it was coursework due in the next day. The book was actually really good but not my usual read. It was Engleby. But generally it is true that whenever I get into a book I read when I go to bed and I'm easily awake till 2 am even 4 am sometimes

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”