What Makes You Hate A Book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Juliet Esther
Currently Reading: That place of knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-esther.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Re: What Makes You Hate A Book?

Post by Juliet Esther »

Multiple characters who are irrelevant, complicated language and names and when paragraphs are too long with very little spacing, this just turns me off in a book and i can stop reading the book even of its too interesting
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Star88 »

I don't like books where the author has no regard on how to treat female characters. I also do not like books with rushed endings or have so much going on that the plot starts to fall apart.
hey_juils
Bookshelf Size: 70

Post by hey_juils »

I hate books where the main character is overwhelmingly selfish. I couldn't even finish Wuthering Heights.
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

There are three things that make me truly hate a book:

1) Weak plot. I find this most in romance novels where the entire focus of the story is sex and the plot is relatively non-existent. Not all romances are this way - in fact, I quite I enjoy a good romance novel - this just happens to be the genre where I find this most frequently.

2) Whiny or trashy heroines. The heroine of a story is supposed to be instantly likeable so that the reader and root for her success throughout the book. It doesn't mean she can't have flaws; they just have to be relatable flaws that can be accepted or forgiven. Having a heroine who sleeps around with no purpose is incredibly unfavorable. Worse than that, is a whiny heroine, one who constantly complains and is overly insecure. A strong female character should be confident.

3) Too much sex for the mere purpose of writing sex scenes. I'm not a prude and I have no problem reading graphic sex scenes. But, the best sex scenes have a purpose. They either further the story in some way, or provide insight into key characteristics of the couple involved. A book filled with sex scenes that are solely there to show the characters having sex? No thanks, it just halts the story.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

I hate books that are not professionally edited and laden with typos. I also hate books that seem to be going round in circles without actually drawing me in. I tend to struggle a bit and then I just stop reading them!
Shayaree Chanda
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayaree-chanda.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Post by Shayaree Chanda »

I think no one can actually hate a book because everyone has something to offer. But, if the book is stretching things too long and results to nothing or an obvious ending, I think that would be a turn off.
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
Ubheeram Nina
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 77

Post by Ubheeram Nina »

I think every book contains a message. No question is arised to hate a book. The concept may be poor not the message.
Facennagoss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facennagoss.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Facennagoss »

Bad dialogue! I find myself cringing if it is forced and unrealistic and then I’m not enjoying the process.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I hate a book when the writing style is bad. I like a book that has a good flow; books with a choppy writing style makes it really hard to read & that the book was quickly put together that even the author didn’t know where to focus their story. I also hate when authors give up at the end and just abruptly finished/ended the story. I don’t mind if they leave you wanting more if it’s going to be a series but sometimes it feel like an author ended the story halfway and tried to leave you wanting more but just made the book seem unfinished.
Uche B
Currently Reading: China rich girlfriend
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-b.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Uche B »

I hate a book with a hopeless plot, full of stereotypes, with unlikeable characters.
Juliar252
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliar252.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Juliar252 »

One-dimensional characters, rushed storylines, cliche or predictable endings, and slow starts.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I don't like books that ramble or seem to have no focus. I also don't like it when a narrative jumps back and forth between time periods unnecessarily. And I can't stand it when female characters are made to be needy and unable to do anything for themselves.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

Some of the books I hate have very similar content, it is usually violence against animals or children, rape, extreme racism. I find reading about topics I am inherently against and find offensive or repulsive. The books that qualify are books that I had to read for classes I was taking, I would not have chosen to read them otherwise.
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

I hate insta-love. It's why I tend to steer clear of YA books. It sets up unrealistic expectations, unhealthy thinking, and strips self-esteem of teenagers for not being 'normal' in extreme ends of a stereotype spectrum (being a pushover and whiny twat versus being a rebellious, alcoholic brat). It ruined me a little bit when I was at that vulnerable age and didn't have any proper examples to set myself by. Hate-to-love is my bread and butter, because the characters are strong-willed, self-assured, and they have to negotiate with one another, much like a real relationship when you get to know someone. The characters in a hate-to-love romance are honest and true to themselves despite their dislike for each-other.

My perception of love might still be a little skewed... but I stand by it.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

My biggest pet peeves are characters with no depth or are two dimensional, and when a book/movie/show contains a magic system with no thought or explanation about the underlying mechanics (a very specific thing lol)! Things like that ruin the books quality for me :)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”