When do you find time to read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
joafech
Bookshelf Size: 0

When do you find time to read?

Post by joafech »

I was wondering when people find time to read. I ask because I am the mother of two small children and the only time I have to read is either when I'm riding in a car, or after my kids are asleep and by then I am so exhausted, I can't get through one page. I don't think there is a solution for my particular situation and I'll just have to put most of my reading on hold for now. But I keep seeing all these great books to read and it is hard!
Morrosseth

Post by Morrosseth »

I usually read after everyone's in bed or when I wake up and have some time. If you feel like it you could set your alarm to go off early, if you aren't too tired that is, and read then. I'm a night owl so I usually stay up reading at some ungodly hour like one or two am. :roll: (I always pay for it next day)
I suppose you could try reading while taking a bath so no one can bug you. :|
joafech

Post by joafech »

Oh I would love to read in the bath. Unfortunately my kids will just stand outside the door and yell my name. LOL I wish I was a night owl but I'm a morning person. I should try to just get up earlier like you said, have a cup of coffee,and read a few pages before the day starts!
Bowlie

Post by Bowlie »

Some of my friends with kids read after they put their kids to bed (they have early bedtimes) or during their naps. Others listen to audiobooks while they are cooking.
The Mythwriter

Post by The Mythwriter »

I'm a college student, so it's hard for me to find time too. Usually, after studying something for hours, the last thing I feel like is reading something. Oddly, I seem to be most receptive to it in between classes.
"The world has been printing books for 450 years, and yet gunpowder still has a wider circulation. Never mind! Printer's ink is the greater explosive: it will win." - Christopher Morley, "The Haunted Bookshop."
textbookonly

Post by textbookonly »

Hi, I'm a mother of three year old and I can understand how difficult it is to take out time with two kids. I have fixed one hour for myself during a day, when I just give time to reading and relaxing when my child is out to play with friends or watching his cartoons. I feel if we make it as our necessity then we can definely take out time for reading whether in the morning or afternoon or in the night.
cgtarga1

Post by cgtarga1 »

Getting books on CDs is great. You can be read to while driving, or even falling asleep.
Shari_K

Post by Shari_K »

I am also a mother of two, though my kids are older, I'm never a passenger in a car, I'm always driving, I'm constantly busy, so the only time I find time to read now is at night after I'm finished with everything I'm supposed to do. Sometimes when I finally have time to read, I end up falling asleep! I read while waiting for an appt., or waiting for someone in the car, etc...kind of like catching time when I can :)
Bowlie

Post by Bowlie »

textbookonly wrote:Hi, I'm a mother of three year old and I can understand how difficult it is to take out time with two kids. I have fixed one hour for myself during a day, when I just give time to reading and relaxing when my child is out to play with friends or watching his cartoons. I feel if we make it as our necessity then we can definely take out time for reading whether in the morning or afternoon or in the night.
I am so glad that you do this for yourself. I've pretty much lost all of my friends because once they became parents, they refused to ever do anything for themselves and threw themselves into parenthood 24/7 (i.e., refusing to hire a babysitter so they can go to dinner with friends and stuff like that). It's kind of sad I think because once their kids are grown and gone, I think they'll really have trouble readjusting to life. I also think that a little bit of "me time" can't be a bad thing for a parent. I'm sure it would take the edge off when parenting gets a little crazy!
Laura

Post by Laura »

I usually read an hour or half an hour before bed. It winds me down where I can transition into sleep easier.
Woodland Nymph

Post by Woodland Nymph »

My favorite time to read is when everyone else is in bed, and all the televisions and additional lights are shut off. The night is a relaxing time for me, when my mind finally unwinds, and with all that mental muck gone, reading is made easier.
Traycee

Post by Traycee »

Usually last thing at night, when the kids are tucked in bed asleep.
Vdcnsrg

Post by Vdcnsrg »

Usually during the day, but sometimes about an hour or two prior to going to bed
Moore

Post by Moore »

i try to read everywhere it's possible to read e.g. in bed before falling asleep or in the garden or in my room watching TV at the same time. Sometimes i can even read during the lunch break at work if the book is really catching!!
Last edited by Moore on 23 Oct 2009, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.
juliakennedy

Post by juliakennedy »

I can relate! When my daughter was younger I felt I never had the time to read and kept cutting reviews out from the newspapers and adding books to my "to do" list.

Now that she's a little older (7) it's become easier. I sit across the kitchen table from her while she's doing her homework and read --I think its good for her to see me read because I want her to pick up my habits.

I keep books with me at all times so I can read while in the gym while she's at her gymnastics class, and I read in the car when I'm early in the carpool line and have my car turned off waiting for school to get out--but usually it's at night, if I don't fall asleep right after she does.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”