When do you find time to read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
J.Seishu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by J.Seishu »

i usually end up reading right before i go to bed. I really wish i had more time to read during the afternoons though. Unfortunatley homework assignments and side projects allways take up all my time these days.
jason82

Post by jason82 »

Morrosseth wrote:I usually read after everyone's in bed or when I wake up and have some time. If you feel like it you could set your alarm to go off early, if you aren't too tired that is, and read then. I'm a night owl so I usually stay up reading at some ungodly hour like one or two am. :roll: (I always pay for it next day)
I suppose you could try reading while taking a bath so no one can bug you. :|
Well after my work and dinner i take out sometime for reading
maruya24

Post by maruya24 »

saturday morning...before i go to sleep and lunch breaks! :)
gemmie1

Post by gemmie1 »

When my children were small, I read whenever I ate breakfast or lunch or sat down with a coffee. Five minutes is all you need if you have a great book going, then you can think about it while you do the next thing - driving, hanging out the washing, office work, whatever. 8) That way you get to savour what is going on in the story.
4jacquote

Post by 4jacquote »

joafech wrote:I was wondering when people find time to read. I ask because I am the mother of two small children and the only time I have to read is either when I'm riding in a car, or after my kids are asleep and by then I am so exhausted, I can't get through one page. I don't think there is a solution for my particular situation and I'll just have to put most of my reading on hold for now. But I keep seeing all these great books to read and it is hard!
No matter what phase of life I have been in, I have never FOUND TIME to read; I've always had to MAKE TIME to read. As in your life, in mine, there always seemed to be something of higher prominence or "priority" at any given moment. So, what was my answer? I took control of my reading allowance and set aside a sacred reading hour each day. I've actually found that the busier I am, the easier it is for me to read a chapter or two each day. Good luck and good reading! --4jacquote :wink:
i_love_reading09

Post by i_love_reading09 »

I read whenever I can hold a book up lol. I read while I'm walking on the track, at the laundry mat, waiting on food at a restaurant, at the bus stop, traveling, when people put me on hold on the telephone, in class (usually when my teacher starts babbling about something irrelevant or boring) and anywhere else that I may happen to be. I normally carry my current book in my purse and whenever I have a few extra seconds to spare, I just whip out my book and read :D
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

I normally use the book vouchers i get at Christmas time to buy enough books to cover the following 6 months and read a few chapters mostly in the evening or just before sleep. Usually i only get 2 chapters done before sleep as im tired! When im in holidays or have a day off work, i tend to put a few more hours into reading.

I also make it a habit of mine to leave a gap of a day after reading a book before i start reading another one to prevent brain meltdown. :lol:
awelker

Post by awelker »

I only really have time to read when I am on break from school. That only happens twice a year so my reading is limited.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
Journey

Post by Journey »

I read at every possible moment I can find: while eating any meal, brushing my teeth, cooking, on breaks and lunch at work, in my car if I get stopped by the train, in the bath, during my kids' rest time, when I get home from work at midnight, etc. My book never leaves my side!
Author Eyes

Post by Author Eyes »

Reading is one thing I wish I had more time to do, but usually I read before bed or on a Sunday afternoon.

Shelley Stout
author of RADIUM HALOS
Last edited by Author Eyes on 05 Jan 2010, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
Syrcco44
Currently Reading: Scorpio Races By Stiefvater

Post by Syrcco44 »

Mostly during breaks from school, summers or weekends. I need to read more during the year, though. I get depressed when I don't read and can't believe how I've forgotten the joy of reading when I finally start it up again. I read so much in elementary school and middle school, but much less in high school, which I do regret invariably. Now that I'm in college, I shall strive to read more. A lot more.
wiggicc

Post by wiggicc »

i usually read before going to bed or between commercials while watching tv, although the reading is retained very well when i do this. i get off work and head home. i don't have a very hectic lifestyle so working and going home is my norm. recently i received an xbox 360 for christmas so that's been taking my reading time........i'm not sure if i like that or not.
31w30

Post by 31w30 »

I read when it is quiet with no distractions, times when I cannot sleep, which seems like all the time lately. :D
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

These days i generally only read at weekends as i'm busy with work and life during the week but during public holidays i read a few more chapters than normal. I am trying to read at least one book a month and doing this at weekends and holidays suits me fine.

I have never been one to read just before sleep- usually tiredness disrupts my concentration and i can't follow the characters or plot closely. :(
krystalanne

Post by krystalanne »

i read at work... ok i dont really read i listen as a result my spelling sucks my my grammer is fantastic, comes from listening to audio books 8 hours a day for two years... makes the work days fly by i get so pissed when my mp3 player dies

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”