Should protagonists be killed for no reason?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Re: Should protagonists be killed for no reason?

Post by JodyVamp »

Sometimes it's just to prove that the killer truly is evil and that nobody is ever as untouchable as they think. Or to tick off someone enough to send them into revenge mode so they can be the hero. When it's done just because the story is getting dull and someone needs to die to pick up the pace, it's just bad writing and an editor needs to call em on it.
elinadsy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elinadsy.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by elinadsy »

in my opinion, a senseless death of a protagonist is extremely off putting- especially if they're a person of color, someone who identifies as LGBT, or a woman who is a man's romantic interest. Diversity is an uphill struggle and I haven't got time for that nonsense.

Do i mind well written character death that is relevant to the plot and themes of the story? absolutely not! but it better have a point, and it better leave me still wanting to read more, and if it's for the sake of a male character getting his revenge, I am OUT of there!
Human314
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-human314.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Human314 »

Death is one of many tools at a writers disposal. It should be used to convey a message about our world or about the world the book is set in. If the author kills the character for no reason then the reason is because people die everyday and that is what happens in life. However the second that death is dished out to often death is no longer a useful tool as it has lost all emotional affect. When this happens the author should stop.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I always feel bad when a protagonist or someone close to him/her dies, irrespective of whether it was necessary or not. But I think there are some instances where it is important for the plot, or may be there just to remind us that death is inevitable for all. Or may be it is just to give us a jolt. I remember a quote used most probably in 'Breaking Dawn' : "childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies".. May be as we grow up, the deaths of our favourite characters help us to mature emotionally? It's just a thought.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Isn't that what Shakespeare does in almost every play? ;)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”